Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sharing Limited gun with Girlfriend at match, is this allowed?

clawson2011

I haven't shot matches in a long time. Girlfriend saw me watching videos and has been to range with me and wants to try USPSA with me. I have an M&P 40 pro built for limited and was wondering if i could just get her a belt, holster and mag pouches and both of us shoot My M&P at the same local match. I am located in Charlotte NC and anyone local who would like to help out would be great to talk to.

Thanks in advance to everyone

Shug Clawson

Easiest way to do it is to each have your own belt rig. Take the pistol to the line in a bag. At the LMR command, take it out of the bag and holster it. When done, re bag and then hand to her to do the same.

no safe area BS or other problems.

Id rig her up belt and mags. Same squad of course and make sure ya don't shoot back to back. Head to the safe area and swap. Sounds like its time to get the gal a gun. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I am thinking but instead of a new gun for her, come Monday my deposit should be in the mail to Matt Cheely for my new limited gun and if she sticks with it I will order her one for her graduation present from law school in a couple years.

Good to know there is a place to get so help and it comes friendly and without judgement. Internet Drama sucks.

PKT1106 -- If your paying go ahead and order it. :goof: She can pick it up at christmas when we are in Wheeling Visiting my folks but if I am paying she is gonna have to wait for a while. I am finishing my 3L year of law school right now so extra money is tight here..

It would be fine. Really you could even share belts as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong).

After you shoot, run to the safe table and take your gun off and give it to her. Just don't remove the belt with the gun on it, that isn't allowed.

This was addressed in the latest July/August Front Sight journal on page 6 "Inside NROI." At the safety table, as long as ammunition or magazines themselves are not handled individually, you can remove your belt with its holstered gun and loaded magazines even, and set it on the safety table.

I'd never thought about it before, but it explains the differences.

So yes, this would make it easy to share belts if needed.

I agree. don't share belt and pouches. either buy her a rig (does not have to be expensive) or borrow one from someone that she can borrow for the whole match without having to take it on and off all the time. plus your pouch and holster placement likely won't be the same as hers so you'd have to keep shifting everything around which could be a pain. Sharing the gun and mags is a non issue though. Just ask to be in the same squad but not with sequential competitor numbers (try and get a couple of shooters between you).

There's often people (brothers, friends, whatever) sharing a gun in matches here. :)

It should be great fun being able to enjoying shooting with your lady.

BTW, there's a few girls here shooting full weight limited guns (well we call them standard) like STI Edge's etc. Some do struggle a little, but most of them get on top of it with some practice. The guns do seem to move around a little more than in a big man claw but it doesn't seem to hurt their shooting and most importantly doesn't seem to hurt their enjoyment. :)

BTW, there's a few girls here shooting full weight limited guns (well we call them standard) like STI Edge's etc. Some do struggle a little, but most of them get on top of it with some practice. The guns do seem to move around a little more than in a big man claw but it doesn't seem to hurt their shooting and most importantly doesn't seem to hurt their enjoyment. :)

I moved away from the CZ75 SP01 in part because of the weight, 20 rounds of 147 + FLDC is close to 50oz. Just too much for me... and now Brandon is telling me I should go with 42-44oz of gun, and it just seems too much. Thanks for your input!

I moved away from the CZ75 SP01 in part because of the weight, 20 rounds of 147 + FLDC is close to 50oz. Just too much for me... and now Brandon is telling me I should go with 42-44oz of gun, and it just seems too much. Thanks for your input!

Fair enough. There is one new girl who just started shooting production in my club. funnily enough her husband bought a glock 17 and she got a CZ Shadow. Not quite so heavy as with 147s (she runs 135gn pills and of course 10 rounds per mag) but it is a little heavy.

To be fair there are plenty of guys who find a shadow too heavy for them. the one good thing about the heavier guns in a womens hands is that even though they are heavy to hold they soak up a lot more recoil and enable much quicker sight recovery and thus quicker second shots.

If you're shooting USPSA you shouldn't have to worry about holding the gun up on aim for too long. Not like olypmic type stuff where you are up on target a long time controlling breathing etc before breaking the shot. in USPSA, it's punch it out, see the sights, slap that trigger!

It's hard in the beginning because by nature it'll take you longer to break shots which will make the heavier gun feel even heavier.

At the end of the day it's mostly personal preference.

You are shooting a polymer gun now right (the M+P 40). Personally I found that a particularly 'snappy' gun to shoot and shooting limited major in a polymer gun isn't where I'd be starting of my wife in USPSA. I'd suggest perhaps shoot 40 minor out of it in production. That way you can shoot softer loads, also means only 10 rounds in each mag (so less weight in a full gun). It just depends on if you're gun can reliably be switched between lim and prod. if not, consider still shooting 40 minor but in L10.

Before buying anything, see if you can borrow some guns at your club and at least shoot a practice stage with them. there is a massive difference between an M+P shooting 40 major and say a CZ TS shooting 9 minor. It's hard to say which is 'better' for you but they are all different. :)

DVC - :)

This might be a bit off topic, but is anyone finding full weight limited guns (42-44oz) too much for women to borrow? In general.

I don't think it would be a problem, and you said "In General" but I think it's really an individual thing. Not all women are

made the same and with practice, like anything, it wouldn't be a problem.

I like the idea of separate belt rigs and bagging the gun between stages, that makes the most sense. Not the most economical, but

makes the most sense in practice.

Maybe you could ask the local guys if they have a spare rig/gun for her to borrow outright. Or, for you to borrow for yourself.

Sharing belts ... are you the same size? Will the holster and mags fall in the same place? Is this an inner/outer belt thing? If it is, you

could get another inner belt or else it's a pain. If it's not an inner/outer thing ... too much hassle.

At the range where I shoot though, there are a LOT of shooters and that means a LOT of time between shooting, so you could make anything work really, but you want this to be as easy as possible to maximize her fun so she gets into it. If it's a major hassle, she might associate the match with

being a hassle and not want to do it again.