Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 disabled grip safety

MattBurkett

Much like the old book, it says that safeties must be functional.

...NOT ALLOWED....

E.  Disconnection or disabling of any safety device on any gun.

However, my 1911's have rear frame spacers, not grip safeties ;)

Alex

I would think:

Appendix One - Equipment,

Chapter A - Firearms

Section 1 - Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications for ALL Divisions,

Item E. Disconnection or disabling of any safety device on any gun.

pretty much covers that one.

You could hope that a "don't ask don't tell" policy for this very common modification would keep you out of trouble. However I'm not sure I'd want to bet my travel expenses and match fees on it.

I have spent a lot of money trying to find a grip safety or grip safety adjustment that works for me, but haven't found anything yet. 1911 grip safeties just don't work 100% for me. I know there are plenty of other folks like me. All my carry 1911's have the grip safety pinned because they have to work all the time.

I was warned by my AC not to take my CDP gun to the 2004 Nationals with the grip safety pinned. This is after shooting it this way since 1998 at matches all around the country as well as previous Nationals. Word was they were going to be checking grip safety function at the chrono booth. I didn't see it but that doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

This lead to a mad rush to find another solution and I ended up gluing a huge piece of plastic to the grip safety. This works 99% of the time, but I'm sure not doing something that ugly to my sweet 9mm SVI Cross Competitor. Until somebody comes up with a more elegant solution I guess my SVI will have to be used for other sports.

-Vincent

Some may take Wakal's post as a joke, but I am seriously thinking about coming up with a custom part/gun that doesn't have a grip safety so it will be entirely legal - say the "M2005".

Another idea is to come up with a radical new grip safety design that doesn't rely on the current mechanics. I've got a few things in mind, but don't have the time right now to follow through. If I figure something out I'll be sure to post.

-Vincent

Thanks Shred, some folks just don't understand. We aren't ignorant of how a grip safety operates. They just don't work for everyone.

I'm so tired of hearing about tweaking the safety. If it was that easy wouldn't we all have figured it out by now? Like none of the gunsmiths who've installed all the various brands of grip safties ever thought to tune it. LOL

Rescomp used to make a part that was a one-piece beavertail and mainspring housing. I think they only made it for STI/S-V frames and I've not seen it available recently.

Certainly it's doable and you're not disabling the safety, but rather redesigning your gun. ;)

According to my read of the current rules, the grip safety must be functional. Since I have seen the Glock safeties checked at matches to make sure they work I am looking forward to seeing the 1911's checked as well.

I would also think that replacing the beavertail with any other part, such as a one piece beavertail & m/s housing would be viewed as the same as disabling it. You can't "redesign" a gun, as someone else suggested for use in IDPA.

I don't like the rule, but hope that in the future if it is enforced for one gun, it is enforced for all guns.............

I once had this discussion with a local MD. His inturpretation of a disabled grip safety was a "trigger pull" enhancement, and legal at his matches. Gee, I wonder why people get frustrated will IDPA rule summary's.

I once had this discussion with a local MD. His inturpretation of a disabled grip safety was a "trigger pull" enhancement, and legal at his matches. Gee, I wonder why people get frustrated will IDPA rule summary's.

Disabling a grip safety is illegal, not a "trigger enhancement". Disabling the grip safety via pinning, grinding off of the trigger stop tab, or by installing the Rescomp Beavertail/Mainspring housing, is in fact disabling one of the gun's safety features which is violation of the rulebook.

How about magazine safeties. How many people have weapons that won't shoot without a mag in the well? More importantly how many people with those types of weapons have had them modified to be non-functional?

I wasn't joking ;)

I'll add a nice picture of a "stainless steel high-arched beavertail FRAME SPACE FILLER" to the "for sale" section of my web site.

I'll talk to Dave Skinner about it next week at the SHOT show...not sure what his lawyers will say, but he may get a kick out of the idea. :D

Alex

What would really throw mud on this one is if someone has a custom 1911 made from scratch and adds the Rescomp part.

The shooter could honestly say the grip safety was never disabled cause it never came with one. That hair probably wouldn't split well at HQ though.

I guess with all the calls and internet postings they felt they had to address it. I kind of like USPSA's "primary safety" rule better. I bet more people are affected by the series 80 parts than they are the grip safety.

Still, it starts to require the MD or an SO to be somewhat of a gunsmith to make the determination and that's bad. I'd be suprised if many people take the task of checking the 1911's. That would be a real tough job.

FWIW, I had a lump of bullet lube funk get lodged in the sear spring of my 1911 and it disabled the grip safety quite handily. Gusmith fixed it in 10 minutes and gave me a lecture about better pistol maintenance. While it would be wise to function test the safeties, most people don't do this at the safe area on match day. I'd have to say that an MD who found a gun with an inoperative grip safety should give the fella the chance to correct it before a DQ.

Ted

If it was that easy wouldn't we all have figured it out by now?

Not necessarily. It's not exactly information that litters the streets. I'd been doing this for about 15 years before I learned how to do it.

Like none of the gunsmiths who've installed all the various brands of grip safties ever thought to tune it.

Knowledge bases differ. And did you ask them to tune it?

I just installed an Ed Brown Memory Groove grip safety on my Kimber and while grinding the frame of a Gold Match is not for the faint of heart, “sensitizing” the safety was really pretty straightforward and a simple job. YMMV

Ed

Here you go, this will solve your problem.

psp1911.jpg

Okay it's not a grip safety. It was a test by HK when they were working on the cocking lever for the P7's. But if someone made a lever long enough, the base of your palm would be pressing down on the safety.