Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best sizing die for the bottom of a case

Nemesis Lead

I took the guts out of a 9mm FCD and put it in station 2 (since I don't use the swager) on a 1050. With the die just touching (not camming over) the shell plate on the downstroke, the brass is .001" larger than a new WWB factory round.

I sold my casepro as a result.

Case Master Jr - the low budget bomb for sizing "glocked" brass!

No different than the Lee Bulge Buster only costs more.

Wrong!! From the Lee site: NOTE: 9mm cases are not able to be used in the Bulge Buster because it has a slightly tapered case and the rim is not completely flush with the case

Not possible for regular 9mm fcd that is why you need to use the 9mm makarov fcd

There's really no reason to go through the hassle of an EGW under-sized die with 9mm. Glocks don't bulge 9mm brass. If you're having trouble passing case gage with 9mm, 99.9% of the time it's the bullet (OAL too long, or a bulge in the case at the base of the bullet). The rest is crappy brands of brass (AMERC, I'm looking at you).

I had gone through the whole cycle of messing with the EGW under-sized die before finally understanding that the issue was that the EGW 7-hole die is so tight in the "barrel" portion of the gage that you have to load most bullets ridiculously short to not hit where the reaming ends.

Once I grasped that you'll essentially never get a bulged 9mm, and wrapped my head around how the barrel is reamed, I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds, using Dillon dies, with maybe 2-3 not passing case gage every 10,000 rounds. Part of the solution was switching to a "Hundo" case gage from Shockbottle instead of the minimum-SAAMI EGW case gage, because that the EGW was excessively small compared to my CZ-75 barrel. I will note that I'd get 2-3 per hundred not passing if I was using a bullet that had to be loaded to less than 1.100", and then only with some Aguila and CBC brass.

Try this. Next time you have a bunch that don't pass case gage, pull them, resize the case, and then drop just the empty cases in your gage. They'll pass virtually every time.

There's really no reason to go through the hassle of an EGW under-sized die with 9mm. Glocks don't bulge 9mm brass. If you're having trouble passing case gage with 9mm, 99.9% of the time it's the bullet (OAL too long, or a bulge in the case at the base of the bullet). The rest is crappy brands of brass (AMERC, I'm looking at you).

I had gone through the whole cycle of messing with the EGW under-sized die before finally understanding that the issue was that the EGW 7-hole die is so tight in the "barrel" portion of the gage that you have to load most bullets ridiculously short to not hit where the reaming ends.

Once I grasped that you'll essentially never get a bulged 9mm, and wrapped my head around how the barrel is reamed, I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds, using Dillon dies, with maybe 2-3 not passing case gage every 10,000 rounds. Part of the solution was switching to a "Hundo" case gage from Shockbottle instead of the minimum-SAAMI EGW case gage, because that the EGW was excessively small compared to my CZ-75 barrel. I will note that I'd get 2-3 per hundred not passing if I was using a bullet that had to be loaded to less than 1.100", and then only with some Aguila and CBC brass.

Try this. Next time you have a bunch that don't pass case gage, pull them, resize the case, and then drop just the empty cases in your gage. They'll pass virtually every time.

there is no real "hassle" to using a Udie. A little harder to pull but lube takes care of most of that.

Many including me, know that 9mm does not bulge much in a Glock but 9MAJOR brass can swell up like a tick in some gun/load combinations

All that being said, generally speaking the Udie in 9mm helps prevent set back. Especially when using good jacketed bullets. Setback is bad juju

I had the sizing problem and discovered it was the powder funnel that was opening up the case after sizing. Measure your case after sizing and compare it with after powder drop. If its larger you know the problem.

Of course it will be bigger. The end of the funnel is a neck expander. Only the 1050 funnel does not expand as that is done elsewhere

For some reason I didn't think the powder funnel was supposed to expand the case again after sizing. I understand that the powder funnel bells the case but it will make the case larger at the same time.

Edited by tires2burn

If you don't expand the neck bullets will go in way off center. I tried running a 1050 funnel on my 550. All it did was make a little bell and did no expanding. Bullets were way off center in the vast majority of the rounds

I use Lee Dies so maybe that's the difference. My funnel slides right into the case after sizing with no friction until it gets belled. I had to reduce the diameter of the funnel neck expander a little but I have no set back or off center bullets.

I also reduced the expander on my funnels. Radically reduced the "catch" on the upstroke.

I use Lee Dies so maybe that's the difference. My funnel slides right into the case after sizing with no friction until it gets belled. I had to reduce the diameter of the funnel neck expander a little but I have no set back or off center bullets.

I also reduced the expander on my funnels. Radically reduced the "catch" on the upstroke.

Sarge:

Did you ever offer details of your modded funnel on the forum? Got an XL650, and I would appreciate any advise on your mod!!

Thanks!

Sarge:

Did you ever offer details of your modded funnel on the forum? Got an XL650, and I would appreciate any advise on your mod!!

Thanks!

I did somewhere but to me it's easier to repeat than do a search lol

If you have a big drill press you can just chuck the whole funnel in there to do the work. Since I only had a drill I broke a pencil off about 3" or so and pounded it down inside the funnel from the top and chucked that in a drill. I took a small fine file and held it to the expander portion and hit the trigger. The funnel is very hard and sandpaper just would not cut it for me. File for a little bit and then sand for a little bit to smooth it up then test. Repaeat as needed until you get just a good tight fit by hand between a case and the expander tip. You actually want it to still wedge in there a little to keep bullets centered up best. Just keep repeating until you feel it going into the case and barely hanging up coming out. Of course remember to use SIZED brass each time you test. Once you have it worked down just right then polish it up with some 1500 grit paper.

Of course if you have a mill or know someone who does skip all but the last sentence. lol

Sarge:

I do have a good friend that's a machinist; and I'm sure he would help.

Truly appreciate your info.

:)

That will make it easier for sure. Just don't go too far too fast. If you take too much off it's pretty much done for.

Sarge:

I do have a good friend that's a machinist; and I'm sure he would help.

Truly appreciate your info.

:)

That will make it easier for sure. Just don't go too far too fast. If you take too much off it's pretty much done for.

Understood.

Thank you Sir!

;)