Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI mini mag 22lr 36gr available now at Midway

I got lucky a few weeks back and stumbled upon 20k mini mags at a decent price. Snatched them all up! :cheers:

Bookmarking this post for the future, to refer everyone complaining about lack of 22LR ammo.... YOU are the problem!

EDIT to clarify -- this is a joke.

Edited by jester121

Nope. Any competitor that needs it to compete would do the same thing if they had the cash and spent a year without. The gumps that buy it and sit on it and dont shoot are the problem. What I don't like is that Midway decides that I can't buy what I can afford. That is what sucks.

DougC

I got lucky a few weeks back and stumbled upon 20k mini mags at a decent price. Snatched them all up! :cheers:

Bookmarking this post for the future, to refer everyone complaining about lack of 22LR ammo.... YOU are the problem!

Here is the problem. Ammo makers blow a lot of hot air about "expanding production" but the truth is none of them will invest the money to increase capacity significantly since they think the current demand is a temporary "panic buy". They also allocate capacity based on profits and .22 ammo is the cheapest. They are making as much ammo as their current capacity permits, but obviously, that is not enough.

"So why is it worse this time around?

First, ammunition manufacturers have been running at or near capacity for at least 10 years. Some of their production is still earmarked for military contracts, even though the U.S. military’s presence overseas is being reduced. But the fact of the matter is most ammo makers have barely recovered from the last ammo-buying panic. Nobody who makes ammo has had it sitting around getting dusty on their shelves. They were barely able to keep up with commercial demand before the country went into panic-buying mode.

If the demand is so great, why aren’t Winchester, Remington and other companies expanding so they can make and sell even more ammo? It’s not that easy. First, to expand any business requires a lot of time and money, and there are never any guarantees. Who’s to say next year nobody buys any ammo because everybody bought it this year? In a business as political as the gun and ammo industry, sales spikes are common."

http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/ammo-shortage/

Edited by bountyhunter

Even though it's 300 rounds it is 7.2 cents per round. This does not include freight, but, that is really the only way to compare prices from different sources. Besides, it is CCI which has been similar to hens teeth on the availabilty scale for quite awhile.

A big reason the makers don't want to expand is that Barium is used to make priming compound, and it is regulated by the Feds as a radioactive material. Expanding to a new/ different facility means jumping through all the gummint hoops again, which is a PITA. We experienced something similar when we wanted to do anodizing in-house. When all was said and done, it just wasn't worth the headache. If I had a product that sold itself at 110% of my production capacity for extended periods of time in a dicey economy, I might just be content to let my customers wait in line too. Just Sayin......

A big reason the makers don't want to expand is that Barium is used to make priming compound, and it is regulated by the Feds as a radioactive material. Expanding to a new/ different facility means jumping through all the gummint hoops again, which is a PITA. We experienced something similar when we wanted to do anodizing in-house. When all was said and done, it just wasn't worth the headache. If I had a product that sold itself at 110% of my production capacity for extended periods of time in a dicey economy, I might just be content to let my customers wait in line too. Just Sayin......

Maybe, but that's not why they aren't building up capacity. The world is using a ton more ammo and the tooth fairy doesn't bring it. The major suppliers that used to flood the US with cheap ammo like Sellier+Belott, Wolf, Tulah, brown Bear etc haven't been shipping quantity here in a long time. Bottom line: I used to get new 9mm FMJ Blazer Brass for $6/box because Wolf was $5.50/box..... US ammo makers know that if and when the massive war consumption ramps down, those cheap ammo makers will be dumping cheap ammo here again and they will be stuck with unused capacity and ammo they have to sell cheaper than they want to. Edited by bountyhunter

Wow. Sarge gets called a problem and I get called a liar. All over some 22lr ammo. That is what sucks..... :ph34r:

Yeah, you SUCK youngeyes! :roflol:

You talking to me?..... :goof:

Edited by Youngeyes

Blazer 40gr LRN is still in stock and CHEEP at 20.99/500

Limit buy of only one box..... so I get to pay $14 shipping on my $21 box of ammo.

Great...... $35 for 500. Oh well.

Actually it's one box of each variety. I bought several boxes of different brands of .22 ammo from them. It shipped yesterday. It was nice to see Federal Auto match target in stock. My Nordic 22 loves those.