Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK AR-15 MAGS

lynn jones

Awhile back I call the H&K region rep, you get them from H&K LE dealers and they are regionalized, so you can't shop for price. They were in the 35/40$ range and we not in stock. Things may have changed, but you don't seem them in ads anywhere.

Lynn, our club just bought 100 mags from DPMS ($20 ea). Nobody has had anything but kind words for them. I bought 15 and every single one is perfect. They're the only thing my gun will feed 30 out of.

I ordered 2 back in September & they arrived just before x-mas; both LEO marked. I gave one to a close friend as a holiday gift.

Work very well. Follower is unstoppable. Heavy though. And they were $47 each (ouch).

I will need to check the receipt but it might have been foufourmag.com. I would try cactus tactical or Arizona gunrunners. Also search on something like Cal's sporting armory.

D.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought three new mag bodies, springs, and floor plates from Brownells. I topped these off with the new Magpul followers. Total price is about $18 each and they are fine.

Magpul followers seem to be a good idea. Too bad I no longer have my two Singapore steel jam-o-matic mags, as I think the Magpul followers would make even those mags go.

The new H&K mags are more than just another steel body mag. They are complete redesign. Longer body, different curve, they were designed to fix the problem the british were having with there assault rifle which use the M16 mags. All the steel body mags that have come up for sale are the old british mags that they dump on market. I believe SOF did a review about year ago on the new mags.

Brownells new mags are supposed to be a better, closer tolerances, mag on the orginal M16 design.

I would love to run a test on both and see. Only problems I ever have is if I forget and load more than 28 sometimes the first round hangs, only on gun that haven't polished the feed ramps.

Good point. All other "30 round mags" are not really 30s - at least not reliably. Just because one can actually stuff 30 in there does not make the mag functional in a sport where the gun must run 100% of the time. THey should all be called "28 round mags".

The HK 30 round magazine not only holds 30 actuall rounds of .223, it will work when loaded to 30 (giving a useful & reliable starting capacity of 31 round, not 29 like everyone else).

But at the $47 I paid for the one I own, I will not be giving any more $$ to HK (unless they release the 416 uppers they are sitting on).

D.

The HK mags are much better than any other steel bodied mags and well worth the money. You can push anywhere on the follower and the whole thing goes down.

You can load 30 into em and still load with a closed bolt.

The magazine article was in SWAT mag in August 2003.. written by Pat Rogers. Goes into detail about the mags. They retail for about $50 and as soon as I get em in.. they are gone.

CS#158

All other "30 round mags" are not really 30s - at least not reliably. Just because one can actually stuff 30 in there does not make the mag functional in a sport where the gun must run 100% of the time. THey should all be called "28 round mags".

4 months ago, I would have agreed with this statement. Not now. Whatever DPMS is selling is good sh*t. Really good. You don't *have* to spend $50 to get reliability anymore. (Something I was seriously considering until I ran across the DPMS mags).

The only time I have any concerns running a std USGI mag with 30 rds capacity is when I'm running the JP LMOS carrier. Otherwise all my mags run 100% with the std weight carrier and 30 rds load at the starting line. Yes, I do load them down to 29 or 28 for the reload since it's a little bit easier/quicker.

For the helicopter stage at the ITRC last year, the match director wanted the match provided guns, ammo and mags to be the ultimate in reliability. He wanted to avoid extra trips with the whirlybird, and didn't want folks attempting to clear jams in the air. JP was kind enough to donate the rifles for the event, and the HK mags were selected, along with Black Hills ammo. Everything functioned perfectly.

• 1 year later...

I got hold of a few Brit army issue HK mags yesterday and I must say I was shocked by how solid and well made they feel. It is almost impossible to press in the sides of the mag to compress the feed lips, definitely impossible to make the followers tilt in the body, and the followers glide smoothly through the mags !!!

Compared to the other 30 rnd AR mags I have used these feel as though they should have been made by Rolls Royce !! :lol: They were heavier than standard 30's but whats a few ounces here and there.

How much are these retailing for in the US now ??

I got hold of a few Brit army issue HK mags yesterday and I must say I was shocked by how solid and well made they feel. It is almost impossible to press in the sides of the mag to compress the feed lips, definitely impossible to make the followers tilt in the body, and the followers glide smoothly through the mags !!!

Compared to the other 30 rnd AR mags I have used these feel as though they should have been made by Rolls Royce !! :lol: They were heavier than standard 30's but whats a few ounces here and there.

How much are these retailing for in the US now ??

The HK 416 mags are running for about $40 currently. I've got two of them and have to admit that they have a very high coolness factor.

I think a better option might be the new stainless steel magazine from C Products. These are about half the cost of the vaunted HK mag. They feature a hardened tube that's made of thinner metal so the mags will actaully hold 31 rounds. They have a Magpul anti-tilt follower and will accept Magpul Ranger Plates or L Plates.

I've got two of the C Products mags. I have been trying to destroy one. I've loaded it and then dropped it repeatedly on a hard surface. The mag will spit out one round but will retain its base plate. If you try this with an aluninum mag it'll buldge and lose the base plate. I have also dropped this mag on the feed lips numerous times. The feed lips are slightly mis-shaped now but the mag still works fine. I've thrown it up in the air, kicked it across the concrete, dropped it into the sand and driven over it with a truck. It still works!

I just taught a class where one of the LE students is a Marine back from Iraq. He had the HK mags he was issued over there. (Hey the Gunny said he could keep them. Said the next crew would "have their own brand new magazines, no one wanted used ones")

They were scarred, and one had bent feed lips. Despite that, they all worked perfectly. I still think $40+ is a bit much for a single magazine, but then I have a couple cubic feet worth of current USGI mags sitting on the shelves.

I think a better option might be the new stainless steel magazine from C Products.
Agreed . . . I've been using the SS C Products mags. with very good success and they're less expensive than the HK mags.

I like the brownells no problem with 30 rounds, or inserting with the bolt closed. They got a huge military contract. plus they are cheap. They feed just fine in all my frankenstien AR's

H&K are the cadillac but the brownells can be tossed and not feel bad.

I recently bought 100 of the standard, Mil-Spec C Products mags. Got 10 of the SS mags, too.

Picked 4 (two standard and two SS) at random and have been trying to destroy them. Total of 1k rounds out of 'em...about 8 full loads each. Dropping full loads on concrete, filling with sand, etc...only one hiccup so far and that was a combination of way to much oil in the gun and very dirty/sandy ammo/mag. Also, all 4 mags have worked in 5 different guns. (1 Colt, 1 Eagle Arms and 3 DPMS)

The only drawback is they are a bear to get in the gun with a full load. Just fine w/29 rounds.

For 9.50 apiece, how can you go wrong??