Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top 5 Headstamps

ES13Raven

For 9mm, these are my top five head stamps listed in order of preference. In practice, I load and shoot almost any 9mm head stamps but toss out the Americ, S&B, Tulammo, A USA, Ammoload and PD.

FC

Speer

Winchester

Remington

Blazer (CCI)

I would add Starline to my list but I use range pickup brass. If I were buying new brass then Starline would jump to the top of my list.

If I had a 1050, WCC would be on my list as it's really nice brass. As it is currently I have to hand swage my brass so military brass doesn't make the top five.

Edited by razorfish

For 9mm, these are my top five head stamps listed in order of preference. In practice, I load and shoot almost any 9mm head stamps but toss out the Americ, S&B, Tulammo, A USA, Ammoload and PD.

FC

Speer

Winchester

Remington

Blazer (CCI)

I would add Starline to my list but I use range pickup brass. If I were buying new brass then Starline would jump to the top of my list.

If I had a 1050, WCC would be on my list as it's really nice brass. As it is currently I have to hand swage my brass so military brass doesn't make the top five.

+1. Have to agree with Razor. :cheers:

I have used probably 20 or so brands in both 9mm regular, but hot, and in 9mm Major.

Of all the brands I have used, only WInchester had regular ruptured cases. I think I found ONE Federal case that ruptured, but I had maybe 50 of Winchester... for this reason I don't use them.

Among other good ones is Aguila.

If I tallied all my 9x19 cartridges, my favorite would be the one I had the most of--and so on down the line. None seem any 'better' than any other. If so, we would all be shooting that brand.

If you are just asking about case brands, then, if I had to buy virgin cases, my first choice would be Starline (excellent cases and lower prices than the high-priced spread). My second choice would be Win or R.P. depending on price.

Never had a ruptured case, except one .40S&W case and that was my fault and not the case's. I have had many cartridge cases and brands that have cracked after some number of firings, but never noticed any particular brand crack more than another--what I have noticed is that ONLY .38 Spl and .357 Mag cases seem to crack at a 1 or 2 per couple hundred case rate and as a sub-set, the nickel plated cases seem to crack more often than simply brass cases. Semi-auto cases seem to last until I lose them.

Here is small collection of ruptured WIN cases, I have dozens more. As you can see - different guns, and admittedly - hot loads, but no other brass ruptured.

So this issue is only for 9mm Major? Are the WIN cases thinner or softer than others?

Here is small collection of ruptured WIN cases, I have dozens more. As you can see - different guns, and admittedly - hot loads, but no other brass ruptured.

So this issue is only for 9mm Major? Are the WIN cases thinner or softer than others?

No... you can see in the pictures several cases shot in Glock, and one or two in another gun, probably a Sig.

Why the difference - I have no idea, and I also know that many people love the WIN brass, so just relaying my personal experience. I now pull out all WIN brass before I load.

The only brass I have ever had rupture was a Win case also.

I was shooting only Speer at the time and this was a once-fired casing I picked up from my shooting buddy by mistake. It was once fired from Walmart WWB. It was not a hot load running about ~1050-1080 fps. Fortunately, no damage.

Edited by mizer67

s&b is great brass btw

I throw all my S&B brass (9mm) away - can't

get the primers to go in the pockets. :surprise:

No idea why mine work fine on my dillon 650 s&b is euro military brass I like it

• 2 months later...