Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best setup for extra capacity for my M&P

lppd4

What's the best setup to add capacity to my M&P mags, Arredondo, Taylor Freelance or TTI? There is a cost difference that I'm not overly concerned with. Taylor freelance requires tools for removal I don't think Arredondo or TTI do. Any information would be appreciated. Pro's vs Cons etc

TTI works great with the SSS magwell.

My setup is TTI pads, SSS magwell, factory followers with the legs trimmed, and TF springs for 170mm mags with one spring loop clipped off. This gets me 21, although I've been shooting Lim-10 almost exclusively this year.

I found the springs that came with the TTI pads a little weak. I was still running a factory (15lb I think) recoil spring. After the mags had been loaded maybe a half dozen times and the mag springs had broken in a bit I started having rounds occasionally hitting the bottom of the feed ramp. Based on some research here I switched to a 13lb recoil spring and the TF springs and have had no issues for approaching 5000 rounds.

I was told that the Arredondos have been known to disassemble themselves in the heat of combat but I have never seen that. As mentioned, the Arredondos will not work with the SSS magwells.

The TF magwells require a bit of fitting (files) to work and once set-up they are rock solid but they do require tools to fit and assemble.

I know nothing about the TTI but the idea of being tool-less is a nice feature plus they come in different colors if that is your thing. I don't know if any fitting is required to ensure proper feeding like the TF.

I have the TFs and I am generally satisfied with them. I also have a couple of Arredondos that I wish I had not bought.

If money isn't an issue and knowing what I know today, I would probably go with the TTIs. If money is an issue, I would go with the TF.

Btw, the TF work just fine with the SSS magwell. I am assuming the TTIs would also work with the magwells.

TF. Never had to fit one. Uses an alan wrench which a set is in my range bag for optics anyway. Have never had to dissemble one on the range anyway. Have seen Arrendondos come apart upon contact with the ground. Impressive.

Have notice TTI's are the fad now and I think they are excellent.

OK, good to know. I have been twisting them back. I had trouble with one mag, didn't know if it was the twist, or the fact that the first stage of that match was in a sandy bay. I'm thinking full of sand was more likely the problem.

I have TTI and Arredondo. Both work 100%, but the TTI holds an extra round in 9mm (23 vs. 22). I therefore run TTI in matches, but have no problem using Arredondo on my home defense pistol.

TTI is easy to install/remove... just loosen the set screw, slide the silver bar down and off comes the basepad.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I have seen Arredondo base pads come off but only when the flat insert was used. The one with a vertical piece prevents the base pad from sliding off the mag body unless it is pushed up into the mag itself:

Those two different inserts are pictured here:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/25367/catid/17/Arredondo_S_W_M_P_Mag_Extension_9_40

Also I get +5 in 9 and +4 in 40, not the +6 and +5 claimed.

I have TTI and Arredondo. Both work 100%, but the TTI holds an extra round in 9mm (23 vs. 22). I therefore run TTI in matches, but have no problem using Arredondo on my home defense pistol.

TTI is easy to install/remove... just loosen the set screw, slide the silver bar down and off comes the basepad.

You don't need to loosen the set screw. There's a retainer pin in there that holds the pin against the wall. You should just be able to move the pin up and down with the tension we send it out with. Has your set screw lost tension?

You don't need to loosen the set screw. There's a retainer pin in there that holds the pin against the wall. You should just be able to move the pin up and down with the tension we send it out with. Has your set screw lost tension?

Correct, the pin has some internal friction and will stay put in most use, but I found that every now and then the pin would start to protrude out the bottom slightly (maybe from being dropped). Not enough for the basepad to fall off, but enough for a Rules Nazi RO to potentially call me on magazine length. I assume the set screw is included for this purpose and so I included it in my description. Should I not have adjusted the set screw?

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Correct, the pin has some internal friction and will stay put in most use, but I found that every now and then the pin would start to protrude out the bottom slightly (maybe from being dropped). Not enough for the basepad to fall off, but enough for a Rules Nazi RO to potentially call me on magazine length. I assume the set screw is included for this purpose and so I included it in my description. Should I not have adjusted the set screw?

Tightening it should be fine, but the purpose of the set screw is to keep the retainer's tension up on the pin. We loctite it in so that the tension stays throughout the life of the pad. There's nothing inherently wrong with adjusting the set screw other than being it an inconvenience. If you're not using the pads right away, I can get them shipped here to give you the proper tension so you don't have to keep adjusting the set screw.

I ordered 3 from tti and 1 complete extra mag with badepad. Quick shipping and excellent product. One pad Was loctighted in so tight just trying to loosen the set screw to put on mag. I broke my brownells bit from my brownells screwdriver set. Lol I work in heat treat, think the bit was too hard and it snapped. Switched to back up bit and no problems.

I ordered 3 from tti and 1 complete extra mag with badepad. Quick shipping and excellent product. One pad Was loctighted in so tight just trying to loosen the set screw to put on mag. I broke my brownells bit from my brownells screwdriver set. Lol I work in heat treat, think the bit was too hard and it snapped. Switched to back up bit and no problems.

Awesome! Let me know how it works out for you!