Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CED Brass Dryer

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this product. I have been using the towel and fan method which works okay. I also Have used the wife's clothes dryer with a fixed shelf made for sweaters, etc. that really works well but is not convenient.

Let me know.

It appears to be a food dryer, I would think that crammed with as much brass as in the picture would take a long time to dry out. Being the product is new just coming out in June I would wait a couple more months and ask again.

Or you can buy this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/http-www-harborfreight-com-5-tier-food-dehydrator-66906-html.html and here is a link to a 25% off coupon.

http://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-harbor-freight-coupon-thread

Scroll down to towards the bottom of the page for pics/PDF's of the coupons. If they don't show the coupon pic's check the attached thumb nails PDF the 25% off is multiple copies on one page.

Will bring the price down to under $20.00

If you tumble in walnut or corn cob after the stainless, just remove the pins and dump the brass into the w/c and tumble away. This will dry them and also the minor amount of water left on the cases will help cut the dust down.

Give it a try and report your results.

I have one, used it probably 5 times & have quit using it - not what I'd consider a must have or worth the price. Went back to my old fashion way that has worked for tens of thousands of brass, will sell you my dryer for a good cost.

It is a very slow process to get your brass dry. You need to keep rotating the 5 tiers to get an even drying process & it takes forever to get the brass dry. The max capacity is not that big, maybe 4-500 rounds at a time. If you want to dry a few thousand pieces you would spend most of a day. If you could just load it once & come back & they would be dry it would be useful but having to keep rotating the tiers several times to dry at the most 500 rounds it is time-consuming. If someone did not shoot that many rounds it wouldn't be bad but for shooters shooting ten of thousands of rounds a year it's not worth the effort.

Since it appears that it is an overpriced rebadged food dehydrator. Wood thing that if you get one of the $30.00 toaster oven Aldi's has on sale every couple of months you could make a couple of wire screen basket shelves and even if it was on a low heat, say that the temp was around 150°F you could dry the casing inside and out a lot faster. Since the food dehydrators are made to be a slow drying process. You want to remove the water and still not cook the food.

It is a very slow process to get your brass dry. You need to keep rotating the 5 tiers to get an even drying process & it takes forever to get the brass dry. The max capacity is not that big, maybe 4-500 rounds at a time. If you want to dry a few thousand pieces you would spend most of a day. If you could just load it once & come back & they would be dry it would be useful but having to keep rotating the tiers several times to dry at the most 500 rounds it is time-consuming. If someone did not shoot that many rounds it wouldn't be bad but for shooters shooting ten of thousands of rounds a year it's not worth the effort.

hvsmith - thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense to me. With the towel once you put them on it its basically done. I just collect them the next day and no additionaly messing with them in between. I guess for now I will stay with the towel method.

After wet tumbling I separate the de-primed brass from the pins then shake off as much water as I can from the brass. Drop the brass into a container then cover the brass with methylated spirits to displace the water. Remove the brass and save the methylated spirits for re-use, then lay the brass out on a dry towel. Takes minutes instead of hours to thoroughly dry.

I was thinking mineral spirits may be used instead?

No you want to use Acetone! it will display the moisture and then you remove the casings and spread out on a towel or newspaper to dry (acetone will evaporate quickly) and your done. The easiest way is have two of the same style Glass Jars never use plastic as it is a plastic solvent.

Place the casings into a white sock, dip the the sock into the the jar with acetone to cover a couple times, then spread out on towel or newspaper. The acetone will not leave any residue behind as mineral spirits or other oil based solvents will.

The acetone trick is an old sign painters and metal arts patina prep trick!

My experience is just the opposite. I use the harbor freight 5 tier and never rotate the trays. Holds a thousand or more depending upon caliber and I leave it on for one hour (overkill) and every piece is BONE dry!

G

Gee, I just spin them in my separator to separate the brass from the pins. Then I rinse them, shake and dump them in a bin. When it is sunny or nice outside, I sit the bin of brass outside and they are completely dry and ready to load.

'Methylated spirits' = denatured alcohol from any hardware in the USA.

Very quick drying, no residue. Drain the brass before laying on the towel, where it will dry in minutes, or seconds if you blow on it. Flammable, so avoid ignition sources and use small amounts.

Edited by DownUnder

Doesn't the heating to 200 and subsiquent cooling cause the brass to become brittle?

jj

The temps for annealing brass depending on the alloy are above 700°F, drying in an average oven at lower temps does no harm to the brass.

Well I went ahead and bought the CED brass dryer. Tried it today with approximately 700 pieces of 9mm. After washing and separating I rolled them in a towel. After this I used the CED dryer. In about an hour I got toasty little 9mm cases perfectly dried. Cabellas has the same machine branded differently as a dehydrator for about $10 cheaper. I think I saw it in their sales flyer. Glad I bought the CED.

Well I went ahead and bought the CED brass dryer. Tried it today with approximately 700 pieces of 9mm. After washing and separating I rolled them in a towel. After this I used the CED dryer. In about an hour I got toasty little 9mm cases perfectly dried. Cabellas has the same machine branded differently as a dehydrator for about $10 cheaper. I think I saw it in their sales flyer. Glad I bought the CED.

So, you are glad you purchased it for $10 more than you could have bought it from Cabelas?

Glad to hear it worked for you.