Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ran into a snag while zeroing new scope - suddenly slide would not go

czbeardly

It all started well... Got a new Aimpoint for the Leatham from a clubbuddy, with a nice working and bright 7moa dot. Went to the range to zero it, match coming this sunday. Also I put in the 9x19 barrel as I have almost run out of .38 super. Picked up a batch of 9x19 from another clubbuddy that works well (ie have tested that load Before).

Started Zeroing at 25 yards, 3 shot Groups, to start to figure out the very unhelpful dials for elevation and vindage.

Got the Groups nice and tight, figured out the dials, then suddenly, slide stopped short, 4-5mm from going into battery. unloaded without a problem. racked a few times, tapped, noting, still 5-6mm short. *sigh* off with the slide, and it was a bit hard to get it off, which never happend - got it off. Found nothing. Took out the recoilspring, and barrel, found nothing, checked slide, nothing, checked frame - again nothing. put it back together - did not go into battery, 5-6mm short. *AUGH* off with it again, repeat, back on, now it Went into battery, but every other shot made it lock and not fully slide forward.

About 10 times I had to repeate the procedure, found nothing strange. Tried some minor loads, no hickups, tried major again, no problems - started running without problems.

Since I am new to both the Open platform and 1911's - am I just missing something? Just gonna get some food and then take it apart and Clean it again. Only thing I can Think of is that something is wack with the recoil spring and guide that the 9x19 barrel uses as it is of a configuration I can't really describe, but I can take a pic of it.

Hello: Assemble it with the 38 barrel and see if that works. If it does then try the 9mm barrel with no recoil spring,guide rod or plug. If that works then you know it is a guide rod problem, either hitting the barrel or not fitting into the recess in the frame. Also check to see if the link is broken or the slide stop. You could also check to see if the extractor is hitting the barrel. Compare both barrels to make sure they look similar. Thanks, Eric

What aircooled said (did you mean ejector ?)about ejector - check that it isn't moving up. Had that same thing happen to me with one that wasn't installed exactly right. Doesn't take much and will catch slide.

JimInFL

agreed. my open gun is like this:

slide glide light on:

frame rails

slide rails

locking lugs in slide

barrel lugs

front of barrel where it locks up in slide and same spot on the slide

inside of the barrel link (kidney in my case)

oil on:

sear

trigger spring

hammer

hammer strut

light rub on guide rod

light rub on outside of barrel

drop on trigger bar each side

drop on trigger plunger (yes it's a tanfoglio....)

runs like a top!

Did you pull the extractor out and clean it and the tunnel?

I've noticed some of my 9mm brass the rims sometimes don't fit the case gauge. Oversize rims could be hanging up at the extractor.

I did not pull the extractor out, it seemed fine, and when the gun was fully unloaded and the slide still would not go into battery and get stuck 5mm short I checked the extractor and could not see it snagg. Gonna do another quick teardown and lube it some more.

Btw, what do you guys run for lube in your openguns. I run Froglube in my CZ but not in my other guns.

Maybe the 9mm barrel was fit a little too tight. A little crud on the breechface or barrel/slide lugs kept it from going all the way into battery.

Now that you mentioned it, the breechface was kinda crudy when I cleaned it last night. Either way, will make it match ready tomorrow, and go over everything one more time.

czbeardly - i might be missing something here. I mentioned above, the ejector - not the extractor. if the pin hole isn't sized/aligned or allows the ejector to move up, it will catch the slide and stop it short of battery. And then when you pull the slide back, it can get pushed back down enough to get out of the way momentarily (which complicates it because you can't see it happening now). Look at the back of the gun assembled - can you see clearance between the top of the ejector and the slide ?

czbeardly - i might be missing something here. I mentioned above, the ejector - not the extractor. if the pin hole isn't sized/aligned or allows the ejector to move up, it will catch the slide and stop it short of battery. And then when you pull the slide back, it can get pushed back down enough to get out of the way momentarily (which complicates it because you can't see it happening now). Look at the back of the gun assembled - can you see clearance between the top of the ejector and the slide ?

Ah! yes, I also check this, and there is clearance between the top of the ejector and the slide. I have ruled the whole thing to: random wierdness. Either way, I ran the competition this weekend, but I lernt that I will make sure that the ammo will go bang everytime, and not suddenly *click* and melt my mind and make my gameplan go randomly out the window and make me miss 2 easy paper targets. Won Open, but only placed 7th overall out of 40 :| Missing those two targets made me loose atleast the 2nd place combine score. Got the overall handgun/mini rifle combined match win, so that was atleast something.

Works with the super barrel, hangs up (sometimes--even when empty) with the 9mm barrel?

Stopping about 3/16" short? Look at the edges of the barrel and slide locking lugs. You

might be fit a little tight, and you are bumping edges so the lugs can't quite pass each other

and cam the barrel up into lock.

sounds like barrel bump since you can do it with it unloaded.

try pointing it straight up unloaded see if it stops short.

then try pointing down barrel bump will be the worst usually pointing down.

when it locks you should be able to push back on the front of the comp/barrel and it will pop into battery.

if so that's barrel bump. fitting issue.