Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ultimate 3 gun setup

Dustint21

I know the basics for the most part. Looking for a more specific parts list. I'm building my first 3 gun rifle. So far I've got the Lancer L15 lower, CMC trigger, and a badass ambi saftey. I want to use quality parts and do it right the first time.

Hmm, I dont know much about that trigger. I like SLR rifleworks for gas blocks, the customer service is top notch. Handguards/stocks seem mostly subjective. Nordic/JP make good barrels, I dont think youll see anyone talking negatively about them. Same thing about JP's BCGs.

As for what comp is best, that is also pretty subjective and theres a lot of discussion about it. Miculek, SJC, Rolling thunder, Seekins ect ect

For a straight competition rifle-no other use, Back to front: Vltor rifle stock-clubfoot, JP buffer spring, JP trigger, LMOS buffer and bolt carrier, JP enhanced bolt, BCM or Vltor BCM Mod 4 ambi charging handle,BADASS ok, Lancer ok, Hogue pistol grip, DPMS lower parts kit (Rock River, Bushmaster, others), upper from numerous manufacturers-Larue, Vltor, Rock River, (more) 16" barrel 1/7-1/8 mid-length,lightweight,- BCM,Noveske,JP,(couple more), BCM 13 or 15" Keymod hand guard (Daniel Defense modular also good)-, low profile gas block of choice-many, pinned or bolt on, comp of choice-MSTN QT, Miculek, SJC, (many), Surefire.Upper receiver parts kit-DPMS, others. Some special tools, mag release pin punch, some other punches, Lower receiver vise block, upper receiver block, Torque wrench, AR barrel wrench, stock wrench-maybe,AR stock screw driver, gunsmith hammer, allen wrenches. a book-like Glenn Zediker's competitive AR, an account at Brownells, about 2K in cash for all this. All I could think of while having after dinner coffee. Good luck!

I don't think anyone has said anything wrong. The snag here is that this a very personal and subjective thing. I would argue that the type of matches that you shoot and where you are located might make a difference. Some folk might be better served with a shorter, lighter AR and others may find themselves in matches where a longer, heavier rifle might be an advantage.

All that said:

18" Nordic barrel

ACE skeleton stock

Young Mfg. Super-light BCG

Rifle length buffer with weights replaced with a .30/06 case

JP trigger (but there are numerous others that are good).

I like the giant DPMS safety and have never needed an ambi safety on my rifle.

Arredondo mag release button.

AP Custom 15" (or longer) CF handguard.

SJC Titan comp

Micro gas block (Nordic barrel has gas port to diminish need for adj. block).

I really like the Stark grips with integral trigger guard.

I like the slightly oversized Seekins bolt release.

2nd the mid-size BCM charging handle.

This has been working well for me with a LaRue mount and Bushnell 1-6.5 w/ SFP reticle. YMMV...

Edited by wgj3

A lot of it is preference. I like 13.7 & 14.5" Noveske barrels with pinned SJC comps and slr adjustable blocks. The shorter barrel makes for a faster gun on hoser stages and still maintains consistency out to 500yds.

Thanks everyone! I have a couple other rifles and this will be a game gun only. I have a decent short gun for the small matches.

BRO receivers

DD 16" barrel mid length gas

PWS brake (may change)

JP full mos BCG

CMC trigger (I'm a fan of these)

Geiselle MK4 13" handguard

Leopold MK4 1.5-5 in ADM mount

The new rifle will most likely be built with

18" nordic or noveske barrel

Lancer or noveske nsr 15" handguard

JP low mos BCG, buffer, and spring

SJC comp

Not sure on gas block yet

Optic is still up in the air maybe a Vortex PST 1-4(have this already) until I can get something like the Swarovski 1-6.

SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block is very nice.

I am going to try a HyperFire trigger in my next build. Maybe a Lancer Lower.

The Seekins ATC comp is awesome so I will stick with that.

Boomfab titanium BC would be the ultimate.

TTI reduced power buffer spring and a lightened buffer.

If you go with the Nordic barrel, you won't need adjustable gas, and the Carbon Arms gas block is perfect with it. The Nordic barrel is more accurate than the Noveske barrel. The NSR handguards are excellent. Go with a carbine stock, and skip the Low mass buffer. Seekins and Lancer lowers are two of my favorites.

Check out the Burris XTRII (2 reticles) 1-5. Excellent value and glass, and very feature rich. Side by side with the Swaro, many will prefer the XTRII.

My parts list on the rifle i will build will be:

Billet upper and lower (haven't decided make)

18"nordic barrel with JP gas block

Lancer 15" handguard feom rainier arms w/ 12 o'clock front sight rail

Seekins ATC comp

Hyperfire 24g trigger

Ace stock

Lightened bcg and buffer not sure on make yet.

Magpul MOE+ pistol grip8

My Burris XTR II 1.5-8x28mm in a Burris P.E.P.R. mount

Now to start aquiring the parts.

Here is my current build:

Nordic Components 223 Wylde chambered 18 inch medium profile barrel
Seekins Precision ATC comp
Seekins SP3R 15 inch hand guard (has a flat bottom on the handguard to use as an impromptu shooting rest.)
SLR Rifle works Sentry 7 adjustable gas block
JP low mass carrier
JP bolt
JP silent capture buffer system
JP oversized anti walk pins
JP tensioner (replaces rear takedown pin to tighten up the upper to lower fit since it isn't as tight as your guns most likely run)
JP single stage competitive trigger and speed hammer
Raptor Charging Handle
Magpul aluminum trigger guard
Magpul MAID grip
Magpul MOE rifle stock
Extension butt pad for the MOE stock

Vortex Razor HD Gen II Miculek reticle
Vortex single piece quick detach scope mount
45 degree off set irons with HiViz front sight
GB Customs AR magwell for those stages requiring mandatory reloads.

Like I said If I was building again today I would try a Lancer lower because if the integrated magwell, the Hyper Fire trigger, and perhaps a Boomfab carrier.

post-5345-0-47755900-1408460715.jpg

post-5345-0-47755900-1408460715_thumb.jp

Edited by alma

As everyone says, there is a lot of personal preference as to what is the "ultimate" in a rifle. One thing I have to have on my rifle is an adjustable stock, I can't get proper eye alignment with my scope and a good cheek weld without one. I have a PRS and the Luth AR stock, they are both good but I like the Luth better, due to its lighter weight and wider cheek piece.