Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action Cam for matches

MissionaryMike

Don't know if this is the right area to post this one, but here it goes. Which action cam are you guys running during your matches and practices? Which 1 or 2 are the top performers, you think, in terms of image stabilization and clarity?

Thanks,

MM

The

Go Pro

Sony Action Cam

Pivot Head Glasses

Seem to be the most popular but it is a crowded space with many good options. I went with the Sony because of the quality of the optics (Zeiss) and the form factor. They all have functional parity so it comes down to price and form factor.

YMMV

Pivotheads ... You have to wear eye protection anyway so why not have your sunglasses have an HD video camera in it .... And sorry, but I'm just not mounting this square box on the top of my head and running around with it ...

Pivotheads ... why not have your sunglasses have an HD video camera in it ....

Where is the actual camera lens on the sunglasses? I am right eye dominant and my concern is that if the camera lens is at the center of the sunglasses, would the video always look like the gun is pointing at the wrong direction?

Pivotheads ... why not have your sunglasses have an HD video camera in it ....

Where is the actual camera lens on the sunglasses? I am right eye dominant and my concern is that if the camera lens is at the center of the sunglasses, would the video always look like the gun is pointing at the wrong direction?

http://shop.pivothead.com/?gclid=CNvBrdymgsACFYVDMgodB2oAPA

I use the Go pro hero 3 black edition and I have never had any problems with image stabilization or clarity. It's a great camera, the Contour camera seems pretty popular as well at the shooting range I've never tried it though. Back when I was looking for a camera I looked up youtube comparison videos of them and they were really helpful. First person video is helpful and I have I personally learned a lot using my go pro, but I learn the most from 3rd person video of myself shooting.

I've used Contour for a year or so, sold it shortly after they went out of business (a shame I've had a ton of different mounts I bought separately at the time)t.

Just got a Tachyon OPS HD cam (the link was either on the USPSA web-site or in the newsletter) and it's a big improvement in technology, it's super-light and can be mounted on the brim of the hat where I don't even feel it's there.

The *only* gripe I have is that it doesn't have the physical feedback on the on button. It sounds an audible signal on power on and power off, but it doesn't have that tactile slide switch of the Contour.

Here's a most fun stage from the recent match I shot with the Tachyon (youtube starts streaming at 360p, but you can switch to the 720p):

Edited by Stan-O

Is that your referral code on the end of the URL? If you're trying to get commissions for driving sales to the Pivothead site, it would be nice to at least be up front about it.

No I just googled Pivot head and posted a link. Think what you want but if you had read the thread you would have seen that I use a Sony Action Cam. If it will make you feel better I will edit my post as to not cause you anymore butt hurt. (Too late no longer editable.)

And to add how do you know it is a referral code? All I see is a query string URL that could perform any number of functions I.E versioning for caching purposes, If your computer foo is so great please enlighten me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Query_string

Nevermind I did the work for you. If you break down the URL and the Query terms you will find the answer.

pivothead.com/?gclid=CNvBrdymgsACFYVDMgodB2oAPA

gclid=CNvBrdymgsACFYVDMgodB2oAPA

"Gclid is a globally unique tracking parameter (Google Click Identifier) used by Google to pass information back and forth between Google AdWords and Google Analytics. If you enable URL auto tagging in Google AdWords, Google will append a unique ?gclidparameter on your destination URLs at run-time. Because it is a redirect, you won't see any gclid parameters on your ad words text ad destination url's, but it will show up in your Web server log files. Auto tagging was introduced in 2004 and is on by default in any Google AdWords accounts."

Looks like your foo needs some work.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

The google tracking parameter is used for their affiliate program. http://www.pivothead.com/affiliates/ explains how they give people a code to spam everywhere and then get commissions when people complete a sale.

If that doesn't apply to you, then sorry for the implication. I pointed it out so that people would be aware of how the kickbacks work.

No it does not apply to me. And according to the link you provided they use Cookies for tracking not the GCLID.

1. Visitor clicks on an affiliate link on your site or in an email.
  2. The visitors IP is logged and a cookie is placed in their browser for tracking purposes.
  3. The visitor browses our site, and may decide to order.
  4. If the visitor orders (the order need not be placed during the same browser session--cookies are expire 30days after click through), the order will be registered as a sale for you.
  5. We will review and approve the sale.
  6. You will receive commission payouts on the 1st of every month (if your balance is at least $100) via PayPal.

But I am being pedantic I will just end this with...Meh.

The tachyon ops hd offers some great features: shape, size, light weight, HD quality, includes various mounts, etc. However, I've seen several videos filmed by the HD version, and it doesn't look much like 1080p to me. Pretty much looks like standard def, maybe 480p. A little bit disappointed about that.

The superior pixel quality of the Sony that I already have will probably prevent me from spending money on a less quality action cam, despite the additional bulk of the Sony.

If people can mount the fat, heavy gopro on a cap the sony action cam would be fine. it's much smaller and lighter than a go pro.

Personally I prefer to mount it to my earpro as whenever I'm shooting I'm wearing the ear muffs. I might wear a hat sometimes, sometimes I might not...

from the right side of my head (on the headband, not on the muff so it's not sticking out too far) it gives a great POV. :)

The tachyon ops hd offers some great features: shape, size, light weight, HD quality, includes various mounts, etc. However, I've seen several videos filmed by the HD version, and it doesn't look much like 1080p to me. Pretty much looks like standard def, maybe 480p. A little bit disappointed about that.

The superior pixel quality of the Sony that I already have will probably prevent me from spending money on a less quality action cam, despite the additional bulk of the Sony.

Not that I'm attached to the Tachyon, but I have to ask -- where did you see those videos? If it was on youtube or played back on the cell phone -- it could very well be that youtube by default down-sample videos and not all cell phones have 1080p-capable screens.

However, there's no argument that Sony's sensor is superior. *Just* for shooting sports I would gladly trade video quality for more compact and easier to mount camera tho.