Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Troops Not Happy

GOF

Had a long conversation with a SOI at a Florida match this weekend. Have had a number of long conversations with IDPA shooters - including a lot of SOs - around the state recently. The 'new & improved' Rule Book seems to be greeted with disgust by all. On another forum, it seems that the only person supporting it (of the few people who still post there) is the Moderator.

From what I can gather (after my decade in IDPA, with much of it being a SO, and a CSO at one club) the NRB is widely being considered a Major Fail.

The SOI did note that a "new Rule Book" is coming shortly. I hope this time they found someone to write the ting that understands the simple concept of "words mean things".

A simple and non-contradictory Rule Book would be appreciated.

Edited by GOF

I'd be happy with good PDF management also. Just the document itself being improved in it's formatting and inclusion of new material.

But yeah, flat foot reloads have got to go. I know I often design stages where you start with 6 in the gun and shoot 6 while on the move so that you can do a reload in the open on the move just to be able to do it. rather than standing in one place fiddling around with an empty gun when I was behind cover good enough for shooting, but not good enough to move and reload.

I shot in the same squad with our state AC this past Saturday and we were discussing this rule. While the rule is distasteful to many, he made a great observation. Because of the amazing recent growth of IDPA, there is a whole new group of shooters that have never known anything BUT doing a FFR. For them, it's not a huge deal at all.

That "amazing recent growth of IDPA" is a debatable point. IDPA HQ-supplied figures regarding the number of Classified shooters could be interpreted to show to show a declining membership. Those figures have been discussed on other Forums.

That "amazing recent growth of IDPA" is a debatable point. IDPA HQ-supplied figures regarding the number of Classified shooters could be interpreted to show to show a declining membership. Those figures have been discussed on other Forums.

The growth HAS been pretty amazing in our area. That's not a debatable point. I'll try to remember to clarify that in the future.

I shot in the same squad with our state AC this past Saturday and we were discussing this rule. While the rule is distasteful to many, he made a great observation. Because of the amazing recent growth of IDPA, there is a whole new group of shooters that have never known anything BUT doing a FFR. For them, it's not a huge deal at all.

On the other side of that coin, every new shooter we try to explain this to cannot understand its reasoning. I can't explain it or why, so I just have to tell them "it's the way it is". They want to play so they do it, but to them it's an ugly sore on the face of IDPA.

Edited by Adam Sills

On the other side of that coin, every new shooter we try to explain this to cannot understand its reasoning. I can't explain it or why, so I just have to tell them "it's the way it is". They want to play so they do it, but to them it's an ugly sore on the face of IDPA.

Interesting...the only people I've ever heard complain about the rule are the old-timers and the ex-USPSA shooters. The newbies I've spoke with simply accept it.

I know I often design stages where you start with 6 in the gun and shoot 6 while on the move so that you can do a reload in the open on the move just to be able to do it.

I have noticed roughly 1/2 of the matches that my club host that are indoor start like this. I hadn't given much thought as to why our MDs were doing this. They may have had the same train of thought.

Edited by v1911

I'm new to IDPA, but for the life of I can't understand the reason for both feet being grounded while reloading, the D stands for something other than "I'll stand still while reloading", and don't get me started on tactical reloads

For my area there has been a lot of growth and new shooters for IDPA. As others have noted we too have lost a lot of shooters who don't like the new rules. I am still shooting even though I don't like most of the new rules. I stay anyway and shoot the club matches due to convenient location and friends. All the new shooters are exactly that and are for the most part oblivious. IDPA being a good place for new shooters to start will in the long run be what keeps it viable apparently no matter how much they screw it up.

I'd be happy with good PDF management also. Just the document itself being improved in it's formatting and inclusion of new material.

But yeah, flat foot reloads have got to go. I know I often design stages where you start with 6 in the gun and shoot 6 while on the move so that you can do a reload in the open on the move just to be able to do it. rather than standing in one place fiddling around with an empty gun when I was behind cover good enough for shooting, but not good enough to move and reload.

I like it, Rowdy...revolver-friendly! :)

We had a similar stage at our local match on Saturday. There were 3 targets in the open after a turn-draw, then move to cover and engage the other 3. After my first 3 targets, I dumped the cylinder while I headed to the barrel. One guy asked "that's legal?" The SO said "It is for him with a revolver!"

Edited by BillR1

While I don't fully understand the "flat footed" reload, I don't see it as more than just a rule in the sport. Low cover reloads are what usually earn me a PE, as I have a hard time stopping myself from pressing the cylinder release before a knee is on the ground.

IDPA like other shooting sports have rules that are not popular to put it mildly, but to play the game you need to follow the rules or earn a penalty.

As far as stages go I have shot numerous ones where it is clear that the designer appeared to overlook the viewpoint of how a revolver shooter would have to approach it. I am not saying that stages should be "revolver friendly", but that stages should be able to be completed successfully by your average sharpshooter more that 25% of the time . On one stage for example I recall you had to back up while engaging a swinger, a drop turner, and some static targets in tactical sequence. The challenge was that there were four targets and of course a revolver only holds six rounds. The stage was hard for auto shooters to engage all of the targets with the requisite number of shots. Using a revolver made it next to impossible as a you would either not be able to engage the swinger due to a vehicle blocking your view as you backed up, or you would have to reload before you could engage the drop turner the second time. I'll shoot whatever stage I am faced with, but it gets frustrating to see a stage which by design tends to exclude success of a portion of the competitors. It should not be the case that only the expert and master level competitors can complete a course successfully. I am not saying score well, I mean complete the stage.

All that being said I'll continue to compete in IDPA & USPSA, as I enjoy them both overall even with a stage or a rule that I may not care for.