Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan .40 extractor break

Rob01

Well took my Trojan with only about 350-400 rounds through it to it's first USPSA match and on the second stage the extractor breaks. Not too happy about it but it was just a local match so only $20 and my time down the drain. I will be calling STI in the morning.

Just wanting to know from you 1911 gurus is there a better extractor I should be using and do they need fitting of any way for my .40? I saw EGW makes one. Anyone use theirs? Don't want to go with a spring tuned unit if i don;t have to but would like something that's stronger than the STI part. Any help would be great. Thanks.

3nKjtUb.jpg

T9Fpbyd.jpg

Is that an MIM piece? The granular looking surface at the break makes me wonder. You can usually find the mold lines or injection hole mark on an MIM part. The extractor is one piece where I think the extra $$$ for tool steel is definitely justified.

Not sure what gun makers use what parts these days.

I thought Wilson made a "bulletproof" extractor? Been so long since I shopped for one that I don't know who has best parts these days.

Here's wilsons:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1070110670/wilson-combat-bullet-proof-extractor-1911-45-acp-series-70

The EGW looks like a good part, I haven't used them myself:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/679977/egw-hd-extractor-1911-45acp-series-70-blue

Edited by bountyhunter

Thanks Bounty. Yes I suspect it is a MIM part ad that's why I am looking to pick up a better piece. Actually two so I have a spare. I usually bring a spare gun when shooting limited or limited 10 but this is my only single stack and I didn't expect it to break this soon. Lesson learned.

Just wondering if either the Wilson or EGW requires any fitting or tuning? And if its something I can do?

Thanks Bounty. Yes I suspect it is a MIM part ad that's why I am looking to pick up a better piece. Actually two so I have a spare. I usually bring a spare gun when shooting limited or limited 10 but this is my only single stack and I didn't expect it to break this soon. Lesson learned.

Just wondering if either the Wilson or EGW requires any fitting or tuning? And if its something I can do?

All 1911 extractors require tuning and setting tension. Not really difficult, just something to learn if you shoot 1911's. Some reference info:

http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/uncategorized/checking-the-extractor-tension-on-your-1911/

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10261/learn/1911_Auto_Extractor_Adjustment

I use these gauges to accurately measure extractor ension.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/action-frame-tools/extractor-tools/extractor-tension-gauge-set-prod16125.aspx

Edited by bountyhunter

Dan I won't be but Tony will. Had a family vacation planned and the match unfortunately fell on the same weekend. Really wanted to make it.

Thanks guys. I watched some youtube videos and it doesn't seem too hard to adjust tension. Just a little playing with it. Will need to look and find one to buy and go with it. Hopefully STI comes through and sends me one as it shouldn't break this quickly. Will keep that as the spare.

Thanks guys. I watched some youtube videos and it doesn't seem too hard to adjust tension. Just a little playing with it. Will need to look and find one to buy and go with it. Hopefully STI comes through and sends me one as it shouldn't break this quickly. Will keep that as the spare.

It's funny, people will load ammo all day long with little thought, but, regard setting up an extractor as some sort of Voo Doo process, and tell you to get an Aftec, or is it Aflac? :)

Yeah it didn't seem too hard. Check tension and then adjust if necessary by adding a little bend in or out. This is the video

And thanks Bounty for the info.

Edited by Rob01

Wilson does indeed make a bullet proof extractor. Mine has provided me flawless service. Would another brand perform the same? Possibly. The few extra dollars for piece of mind is nice though.

STI was great about it and are sending me out another one but I also decided to try the EGW HD extractor so I will use the STI as a back up. Will post and let everyone know how the EGW works out when I get it in.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I have an Aftec in all my guns. They are great. Fitting is not a big deal. Tuning requires a little bit of work. Bob from Brazos gun did an article on tuning in a Frontsight.

BTW: Mine broke at Nationals last year after 9 years. The failure rate on an Aftec is fairly low especially compared to other extractors.

Well took my Trojan with only about 350-400 rounds through it to it's first USPSA match and on the second stage the extractor breaks.

A cobweb fell in my memory and triggered a dumb question:

shooting any steel case ammo?

Used to see a lot of broken extractor tips back when people started shooting Wolf ammo.

Edited by bountyhunter

AFTEC is the answer

I'm into year 40 of 1911's and only wish they would have made them sooner

I carry spare springs for the aftec but have not used one in 5 years. Nor have I had an extractor issue in the 5 years I've used them

Well took my Trojan with only about 350-400 rounds through it to it's first USPSA match and on the second stage the extractor breaks.

A cobweb fell in my memory and triggered a dumb question:

shooting any steel case ammo?

Used to see a lot of broken extractor tips back when people started shooting Wolf ammo.

Nope no steel case through it. I have shot a bunch of Hornady Steel Match through my Eagle with no problems.

EGW extractor delivered yesterday but only problem is I am in NC and extractor is in CT LOL Will try it out on Monday when I get back.

Got back yesterday from out of town and the EGW extractor was waiting for me. Broke it out today and 5 minutes of tuning and it felt good so I went to the range to give it the real test. Shot 50 rounds through it and not a hiccup. So the Trojan is back in business. When the STI replacement extractor shows up I will tune it and keep it as a spare for the Trojan and my Eagle.

Thanks again all for the help.

Aside from tensioning the extractor a trick I picked up from my gunsmith is to dress the underside of the extractor hook so its rounded and not a sharp corner. This allows the rim to slip up under the extractor more easily. Small needle file usually does the trick.

I usually do the "back-up gun" thing instead of spare parts, but a tuned and dressed extractor is one of the things I keep in my parts kit. Ironically have yet to have one fail, even the stock STI extractors. Sometimes you just get a bad part...

Thanks will check that out.

I usually bring a spare gun as well but that match I was set on using the new Trojan so didn't bother bringing one. Learned a lesson.

STI was good to their word, which I expected, and my new extractor showed up today. It appears they do a little work to the extractor to round the sharp edges off as 2More suggested. I will probably pull the EGW out and clean it up a little like the STI after my match tomorrow. Don't want to mess with it without having time to get to the range and make sure my changes don;t cause problems. It's working fine now.