Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA REVOLVER

Bill Nesbitt

I just received an e-mail from Bill Wilson in answer to some questions.

The revolver barrel length problem will be taken care of. I asked for a barrel length of 4 & 3/16 inches and Bill said they will make a change similar to the one I suggested.

VERY heavy revolvers may be banned. He didn't say what the weight limit will be yet though.

We will continue to have ESR and SSR. I asked for a lower power factor in ESR but he didn't agree. :D He said 38 supers should be able to make power factor OK, but 9mm's should shoot in SSR.

You can take an 8 shot S&W .357 magnum, cut it for moon clips and continue to use .357 magnum ammo loaded in moon clips.

Hope this answers some questions.

Bill Nesbitt

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad they are reconsidering some of the ludicrous rule changes. I am mainly upset about the moonclip issue and the gun side of things. I had a 5" 625 for about 3 months before it became illegal, then I bought a 4" so I could shoot and now to be competitive I have to buy yet another gun-an 8 shot for this sport!! Not to mention new holster, mag holders, etc. I'm just real tired of every year or so they say things that were legal and approved by them are now illegal. I'm tired of chasing their rules and emptying my wallet when I have what they first deamed legal.

Bob

You don't have to cut a S&W Model 627 357/38special, they come from the factory that way. So does the 625, 610, 646 etc, etc. I think that all the 1911's should be required to run factory GI 7rnd mags, and not the tuned 8, 9 or 10 rnd mags, This is abouts as close to a comparision between speedloaders and moonclips.

Thanks to the efforts of Bill, Joyce, and the countless others behind the scenes that have patiently listened to our comments, complaints, and consternations; I truly believe that the irregularities and imbalances of the SSR and ESR

division(s) have been fixed to a satisfactory and very usable degree.

True to my word, I will continue my “crusade” to raise the SSR and ESR divisions to record setting levels!

Understandably, there will still be some mulling over of the fine points concerning equipment, etc. but all things considered we have a workable rulebook concerning these two divisions. TONS better than original and much better than the first draft of revisions.

Thanks Bill and Joyce, etc. for your efforts .

Sounds like the barrel length and weight issues will be straightend out (except for 610's maybe). It sure looks like an equipment race will be coming up for ESR. An 8 shot 4 inch revolver won't come cheap. I'm glad I already have a 627...

Skip

Thanks to the efforts of Bill, Joyce, and the countless others behind the scenes that have patiently listened to our comments, complaints, and consternations; I truly believe that the irregularities and imbalances of the SSR and ESR

True to my word, I will continue my “crusade” to raise the SSR and ESR divisions to record setting levels!

Understandably, there will still be some mulling over of the fine points concerning equipment, etc. but all things considered we have a workable rulebook concerning these two divisions. TONS better than original and much better than the first draft of revisions.

As I posted somewhere else (it's all starting to run together)... For less than I'll spend on carry gear for a new gun to compete in IDPA(I have no doubt that my 610 will be banned), A model 10 or GP100 shooter can have the gun converted to use clips, and still be used with speedloaders or individual rounds. But of course, this would be an illegal modification according to HQ, it's so much nicer to make a large percentage of IDPA revo shooters buy a new gun and gear. Could it be that the main 'smith offering this service is Clark Custom, who just also happens to build custom 1911s?

Dan Overcast

It looks like they are fixing the barrel length and weight issue. Now they should simply keep it all to six shot revolvers in both revolver classes and everyone would be happy.

Who has a 4" eight shot revolver anyways. It really is starting an equipment race to allow a gun that noone is currently using.

Bill if you have contact with Bill please ask him to reconsider allowing eight shot revolvers.

Paul Mitchell

Do you guys really think that the 8 shot 38 super will be the way to go in ESR. Wont the 165 power factor in that gun make the recoil to much. I shoot IPSC mainly and I have a 4" 625 that I use for IDPA. 165 PF in a 625 is pretty manageable, even in a 4". Unless you are going to load a heavy bullet for the super, I would think the muzzle flip wold be pretty strong. Just my 2cents.

Tom Mainus

I think at least it shows the willingness to listen. That helps. The 165PF is no big deal for a 625 or the 610. As for "very Heavy" revolvers, there is only a 3oz difference between the 625 (which makes current standards) and the 610 so the hope is there for maybe a 44oz weight limit that would work.

I hope they keep us posted as the story develops. Thanks Bill

Additional info from the Yahoo IDPA list and http://www.idpaforum.com , both referencing emails from Bill Wilson, is that SSR weight is 42 oz., ESR weight is 50 oz. (which would keep the 610 in play). The original ESR weight was a typo.

The 3/4" rule applies to all parts of the gun. FWIW, my carry holster for my 681 passes the 3/4" rule, but has the dreaded light in the tunnel because it's a paddle holster. This is going to be a factor for round guns because of the cylinder.

If I want to shoot my four inch M57, I'll have to shoot it in ESR! I might classify in ESR the end of this month, just for grins. At least I don't have to worry about making the PF. :D

I am not a fan of the 7 & 8 shot guns in the revolver divisions.

I think the 8 shot super will be the way to go. Reason I think that is because quite a few wheelgunners got 8 shooters for USPSA in the brief time before USPSA made it a six shot sport. Those fellas weren't clueless to what works in their sport and USPSA revolver scores major so I figure they felt the recoil issues were outweighted by the greater capacity.

Only thing is though, the 6-6-6 mentality of IDPA course designers may make the six shooter have an edge as a sixshooter shooter (sorry) will most likely be at cover for the reload while the eightshooter shooter has one more target to go before reloading.

Be interesting to compare/contrast over the coming months if nothing else.

Ted

I talked today to the lovely Lisa Farrell, 4X (or maybe 5X...hard to keep up) iron sight revolver champion, who owns several 8-shot .38 Soup revolvers and is looking forward to IDPA under the new rules. All I can say is, you boys got an *education* comin'!

mb

Rule book states that EVERYONE will engage targets from BEHIND cover and be BEHIND cover during a reload....so that dog just don't hunt.

Actually, the Rule Book states you have to be totally behind cover while doing a Tac-Load or RWR, but when doing a slidelock reload it's only the 50% upper/100 % lower rule, i.e. you'll able to expose yourself enough to see the next target you'll engage while reloading from slidelock. Not sure how that'll translate to reloading an empty revolver, though.

I am not a fan of the 7 & 8 shot guns in the revolver divisions.

Be interesting to compare/contrast over the coming months if nothing else.

Ted

Yeah you do that Ted. But I think you're going to be the only one left shooting revolver.

The rest of us will be shooting our illegal, ultra-gamey 6 shot guns in USPSA or ICORE, or whatever. Hell, I'm about ready to play dress-up and shoot Cowboy Action.

All the lobbyists for the current rules should be ashamed for pulling the wool over the BoDs. And the Board should be ashamed for treating revolver as an afterthought, again. Or was there more to it? Whoever wrote these rules either had no conception about shooting a revolver in competition or seriously wanted to kill off this division.

My plan of action is to no longer shoot revolver in IDPA. I have not made up my mind on staying an IDPA "member."

I hope the Board and the anti-moon clip crowd are happy.

Redmist,

Man I wish people would read posts in full before replying. Read the first sentence of my post above. I'm not trying to rationalize the 8 shooters at all. I really do not like the concept As I said above and on about 15 other posts in this forum, 7 and 8 shot revolvers don't belong in ESR OR SSR, they belong in SSP or not at all.

Don't believe me? Look up those posts. I never once said 7 and 8 shot guns in ANY revolver division was a good idea.

back to where I was allegedly "rationalizing" something. My point is this: in a lot of the more boring IDPA stages I shoot, I can say that the 6-6-6 could possibly favor the six revolver. With a six shooter you are often right at cover as you run dry. with an 8 shooter, you'd have to engage another target before shooting and quite possibly will be out of cover and have to move to cover again before reloading.

Is it true? Maybe. Maybe not. If nothing else it's a variation on the theme that makes some people think the 9+1 has an advantage over a 10 +1.

Ted

Man I wish people would read posts in full before replying.

That's the trouble Ted, I have been paying attention here and on IDPAforum.com

You've changed your tune from the happy speedloader guy that found it so ironic and amusing that the moonclip guys were finally getting their just due to saying 7 and 8 shots should be in SSP.

I'm not at war with you by any means and we can agree to disagree. I'm trying not to to be offensive with my comments. I simply disagree with many of the arguments you have posted in favor of the new ESR/SSR situation.

You may have seen my posts on the idpaforum but I'm not sure how well you read them.

Even my early posts expressed displeasure at the 7 and 8 shots in ESR.

I challenge you to find one post where I said it was a good idea.

You are right about one thing. I am amused that many of the moonclip guys are getting their due. It's about time they had to shoot real .45's. I do feel sorry that the super shooters are getting hammered a bit though.

Caliber specific power factors would be better, but I'll take what I can get.

I did take offense with your post about "rationalizing", I felt like it was an attack. Especially since I was not rationalizing, but bringing up a point that my friends and I have been discussing off list.

Ted