Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack weapon

blaster1977

So, I'm a glock 34 production guy. Within the next few months, I want to buy a 1911 and start shooting SS as well... It looks as fun as production and the limited round count in mags will keep me pushing to become a make-every- shot- count- type shooter that I've always striven to be. I don't want to get lazy. So, any help on selection would be nice. I really the looks, feel of the Springfield TRP 45.... But I see that some guys shoot 40 and even 9mm?

What calibers do you guys choose to shoot? What weapons? As for Price, for my first one I want to keep it under 1500, but that's not the limiting factor. Quality is. I won't be jumping in for a few months when I buy it, I'm gonna run it in training until I know I can be competitive, just like I did with the G34. So, any help, ideas, what guns and calipers, would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by blaster1977

USPSA Front Sight Magazine did an article this month on the 2014 Single Stack Nationals and it's titled "Of Malfunctions and Men..." if that gives you any idea of what you're in for. I love shooting my 1911's though. The Springfield TRP will work as well as any of them if you like the sights. Most of us run aftermarket magazines like Tripp, Wilson Combat or Metalform. Just work with the pistol to find a bullet it likes to feed and a magazine it prefers and go from there. The 45's will probably feed the best. I load a 200 grain lead round nose bullet with Hodgdon's Clays at 1.250 OAL to about 835 fps. I have a Para Black Ops Limited that I did some trigger work on that I absolutely love to shoot. It has a ramped barrel and rarely gives feeding problems. Nice sights too.

You can shoot all three calibers in Single Stack, but probably the majority are shooting .40SW or .45acp so they can be scored major power factor. There are some who like the 9mm, but that caliber puts you in minor PF scoring though you can load your mags to 10 rnds.

There are pluses and minuses to each caliber, and I think it depends on your personal preference. I shot SS with a STI Trojan chambered in .45acp for a number of years but recently switched to a custom built 1911 (STI frame/slide) chambered in .40SW. My reason for switching calibers was because I discovered I preferred the snappier recoil impulse of the .40, and I could use the same load that I already shoot in Limited division with my 2011's.

Where I shoot there are a lot of STI's at matches, and certainly the Trojan is a pretty good buy and within your price range and even leave some money left over for a magwell, mags, etc. The Trojan in any of the calibers makes weight, fits in the USPSA box, and is legal in all respects. I'm sure the TRP does as well, though I've heard of some not making the 43 oz weight limit (with empty mag installed).

Good luck with your quest.

Thanks for the replies. I own a few 45s and love the feel of the round (glock 30s and a glock 21), but I've never cared for the 40 cal... But If I'm nothing else, I'm honest. Maybe I should try a few 40 calls out (it's been years) and see if I run them any better. It was too snappy when I tried before. Even my Glock 30s, which is a bit of a handful, I still enjoy shooting. So I'll run a few pistols in 40 cal (LGS) and ask to shoot a 40 cal 1911 at a match or in practice. As for 9mm? I already shoot that in production, don't want a 9mm single stack. Ill look into the Trojan. I don't know much about 1911s so I'm going to do my homework well before I commit. Thank you both! I look forward to more great feedback from guys like you. These where exactly the type of comments/feedback I was looking for.

Edited by blaster1977

Assume you're aware that you will need one of the models without the rail and bull barrel if my memory serves me. The rail adds a little too much weight and I think the division requires a bushing barrel.

I found this out the hard way with my railed and bull-barrel model. I like it, but it wasn't okay for the division if I recall correctly.

Rails are fine if made into the frame as long as it makes weight. I'm running a Springfield operator in 45. The model just under the TRP. It runs great and likes 200 SWC. I run Wilson ETM mags. I would look at the Springfield range officer. It's supposed to be the same frame and fit as the TRPs but without all the extras.

Assume you're aware that you will need one of the models without the rail and bull barrel if my memory serves me. The rail adds a little too much weight and I think the division requires a bushing barrel.

I found this out the hard way with my railed and bull-barrel model. I like it, but it wasn't okay for the division if I recall correctly.

I'll keep that in mind. I knew about the rail but not about the barrel. Thanks

Rails are fine if made into the frame as long as it makes weight. I'm running a Springfield operator in 45. The model just under the TRP. It runs great and likes 200 SWC. I run Wilson ETM mags. I would look at the Springfield range officer. It's supposed to be the same frame and fit as the TRPs but without all the extras.

I have looked at them. One of the things I like about the TRP is the great looking KOTE finish, it it has many of the things I'd want to put on my 1911 anyway. Although the range officer is still in the running, I suppose I could just put in just the right parts I want, and then have it finished exactly how I want it. I'll keep it in mind.

Good sights, magwell, extended mag catch, trigger job, and spring tuning are pretty common aftermarket modifications that people do to their 1911's for SS division.

Whatever you pick, mags that work in the gun and absolute reliability is key. Some guns run great out of the box, others need some tweaking. If you're already set up to load .45acp then that caliber makes sense. But .40 out of a 1911 is nothing like the feel of .40 loaded to the same PF out of a Glock (I've owned a G23 and 35).

My .40 1911 with the right spring weights and tri-topped slide is very flat shooting and quick to track the front sight thru recoil. By contrast, the .45 was more of a push. My scores are about the same between the two calibers, its just that I like the .40 more and makes transitioning between SS and Limited that much easier.

Don't forget to plan on needing 6-7 mags and 6 mag pouches as part of your budget. One thing about the .40 (OK, this might just be a minor selling point), when you go to make-ready you can load 9 rnds in a .40 1911 mag and don't need a barney mag, like you use a mag loaded with 11 rnd mag in PRD at make-ready for loaded gun stages.

Good sights, magwell, extended mag catch, trigger job, and spring tuning are pretty common aftermarket modifications that people do to their 1911's for SS division.

Whatever you pick, mags that work in the gun and absolute reliability is key. Some guns run great out of the box, others need some tweaking. If you're already set up to load .45acp then that caliber makes sense. But .40 out of a 1911 is nothing like the feel of .40 loaded to the same PF out of a Glock (I've owned a G23 and 35).

My .40 1911 with the right spring weights and tri-topped slide is very flat shooting and quick to track the front sight thru recoils. By contrast, the .45 was more of a push. My scores are about the same between the two calibers, its just that I like the .40 more and makes transitioning between SS and Limited that much easier.

Don't forget to plan on needing 6-7 mags and 6 mag pouches as part of your budget. One thing about the .40 (OK, this might just be a minor selling point), when you go to make-ready you can load 9 rnds in a .40 1911 mag and don't need a barney mag, like you use a mag loaded with 11 rnd mag in PRD at make-ready for loaded gun stages.

Thanks brother, you make some good points. I don't have any 40 cal pistols and that's probably my biggest strike against it. In production, I just buy bulk ammo through freedom munitions but I'm making the plunge soon because I'll save more money long term and be able to tweak loads (doesn't matter in production. But it will in SS, limited or open). It's in the works, I only within the last year got back into buying pistols, and didn't reload, so I definitely have to learn if I'm going to play the game right. I can afford to buy 1000, 1500 rounds a month, but why not spend the same money on MORE ammo?

I won't actually start shooting SS til next year, like I said, I'm going to get comfortable with whatever I buy first and get the right load out for it. I spent awhile researching before I bought the G34 and the gun belt, holster, etc. I have 5 mags on my belt for that too. What ill do is get a new belt and everything for it so I don't need to change my production rig. Until I get the pistol set up how I want it, and get the practice in to be comfortable with it, I'll just keep shooting production (which I'm not going to quit doing anyway).

I also shoot Production now and then with a G34, and have a dedicated belt set up for that gun. I also have a dedicated belt set up for SS and another one for Limited because its a PITA to move all the mag pouches and holsters around each time I wanted to shoot another division.

Honestly, if you don't reload right now I would suggest getting a Dillon before buying another gun. Its not hard to learn, and god knows there are plenty of videos on Youtube showcasing how the SDB, 550 or 650 work and how to get the most out of your press. I loaded on a single stage my first year of USPSA shooting and made getting a progressive a high priority over buying more guns. It made a huge difference. Reloading and buying components in bulk is the only way I can afford to shoot 12-15K rnds a year. If you think about it, buying the pistol is the cheap part...keeping it fed with ammo is the more expensive part!

Hopefully there are enough SS shooters at your club that you can test-drive some different 1911's and see for yourself which ones have the features you like and maybe even give .40SW a try in addition to .45acp.

So, I'm a glock 34 production guy. Within the next few months, I want to buy a 1911 and start shooting SS as well... It looks as fun as production and the limited round count in mags will keep me pushing to become a make-every- shot- count- type shooter that I've always striven to be. I don't want to get lazy. So, any help on selection would be nice. I really the looks, feel of the Springfield TRP 45.... But I see that some guys shoot 40 and even 9mm?

What calibers do you guys choose to shoot? What weapons? As for Price, for my first one I want to keep it under 1500, but that's not the limiting factor. Quality is. I won't be jumping in for a few months when I buy it, I'm gonna run it in training until I know I can be competitive, just like I did with the G34. So, any help, ideas, what guns and calipers, would be appreciated. Thanks

I also shoot a 34 in Production and I'm going to Single Stack next for pretty much the same reasons you are. I am coming to the tail end of my wait for a .40 cal SVI 1911.

I went .40 for cost containment reasons since it's less expensive than .45 to shoot. It's also nice since I can do 9 round Wilson Combat mags and I don't have to Barney. I wanted major power factor after shooting minor in Production.

I'll go with a CR speed belt (it's what I use now for Production), 6 Double Alpha Single Stack Racer Pouches, and Blade-Tech for the holster (apparently they make a model for my specific SVI 1911.)

I'd encourage you to check out the STI Trojan 1911 since it's in your price range and I find a lot of love for that pistol at my local club. The 9mm Trojan was the first 1911 I ever shot so I have a soft spot for it. I'd be very happy to nab one of a prize or raffle table someday if I was lucky enough to pull that off.

I have a very dependable 9mm 1911 and a tuned 45 1911. This year I decided I would shoot more USPSA and shoot SS exclusively. I have become tired of being scored minor in 9mm and wanted to get a 40 (instead of shoot my 45). I have found,

STI Trojan - Most seem to offer this as the first choice. Some have issues, some don't so you pay your money and take your chances. You will likely have to add a mag well and change the extractor.

Para Pro Comp 40 - Honestly I have never had a good experience with Paras running out of the box so I have searched for reviews because this gun seems perfect once you add a mag well. I cannot find very many reviews and I never see one at a match. At a min, you would want to add a mag well.

Sig Match Elite Stainless 40 - I have very little exposure to Sig 1911s and cannot find any reviews or anyone actually running one at a match. This one has an external extractor so maybe it would run better, maybe not...

In general it seems most 1911 designs in 40 require tweaking and prefer to be fed longer ammo. If you do not reload, getting a longer round is an issue.

With all that said, I decided to make a few minor updates to the 45, buy 3000 pieces of brass, and shoot it this year. I would still like to find a 40 that ran out of the box and was accurate but I just have not been convinced that beast exists yet.

If you are not going to reload, I suggest you go 45, get good mags, and shoot.

Edited by jsg

what I mostly saw was people that were big into 40 limited would shoot 40 SS, to keep components consistent. Being more rare, needing more work, and special mags was a concern, but if you already stock 40 it makes up for it.

45 runs and runs and runs, good mags are cheap and everywhere, the selection is huge, and 45 is awesome. Sure the brass is a little more, but not terrible. Bullets are a little more, but not the worst. And to not tinker really helps me enjoy shooting. I also prefer the recoil to 40 (personal preference) since it's a soft push not a sharp snap. Plus, I come home, fill the thing back up with 9 rounds of 185gn +p and it sits next to the bed.

9mm 1911s are cheating. there's no recoil, and it's amazingly soft to shoot, almost like a lightweight 22. however, scoring minor when most of the shooters shoot major is almost never worth it. You have to go a lot faster than the average joe to make it count. I will own one again, but will probably get it in 2011 so I can shoot 9 minor in 3 gun and steel challenge and stuff, but that's a much more expensive animal.

I love my SS guns in .40. Started with a Trojan just before SS nationals. I know it's totally a personal preference thing, but I much prefer the recoil of the .40 over a .45.

The gun ran great out of the box. All I had to do to the gun was have the barrel throated to handle longer loads.

I liked the gun/caliber combo so much that I picked up a Springfield Armory Custom Shop gun (also in .40) shortly after SS Nationals.

Another thing I really like like that .40 (over .45) is that the mags seem to seat easier for me during reloads. The extra room in the magazine (smaller rounds) makes for less tension in a mag loaded with 8 rounds.

Guys, all the feedback/ comments have been great! Especially about getting a good press, at this point it's a necessity! I take my time when it come to expensive items (like a good 1911), which is why I started the thread so I could learn from shooters such as yourselves who do run 1911s. The press is supposed to be a Christmas present. As for the pistol? I'm taking my time. One pistol I like is the Springfield TRP in black KOTE finish. It would need some good competition sights, but I think it would be a good initial investment for SS division. The more I think about OPEN division, the more I see that 5 years or so down the road once I'm good enough, in my mind at least, to be worth a 4000 or 5000 dollar gun.... I think the only way I'll run a 45 (or 40 if I go that route) well against other competitors (god, some of the weapons I've seen are amazing!) is to play the game, get good at reloading (I've got a few friends that do it so I won't have to only go the YouTube route, but trust me, I'm not adverse to doing that too!) so I can make the perfect load for my weapon/s and keep practicing as much as I can.

I've go it easy in the army (I'm a career infantryman). There are a few great shots out there, I hold my own, but we all have the same equipment! That's the challenge I love about USPSA, buying and running a weapon how I choose to do it!!

I love my SS guns in .40. Started with a Trojan just before SS nationals. I know it's totally a personal preference thing, but I much prefer the recoil of the .40 over a .45.

The gun ran great out of the box. All I had to do to the gun was have the barrel throated to handle longer loads.

I liked the gun/caliber combo so much that I picked up a Springfield Armory Custom Shop gun (also in .40) shortly after SS Nationals.

Another thing I really like like that .40 (over .45) is that the mags seem to seat easier for me during reloads. The extra room in the magazine (smaller rounds) makes for less tension in a mag loaded with 8 rounds.

See? That why I like this forum: I didn't know that about 40 weapons in 1911s! Admittedly, I know nothing compared to you guys about them...

I have a very dependable 9mm 1911 and a tuned 45 1911. This year I decided I would shoot more USPSA and shoot SS exclusively. I have become tired of being scored minor in 9mm and wanted to get a 40 (instead of shoot my 45). I have found,

STI Trojan - Most seem to offer this as the first choice. Some have issues, some don't so you pay your money and take your chances. You will likely have to add a mag well and change the extractor.

Para Pro Comp 40 - Honestly I have never had a good experience with Paras running out of the box so I have searched for reviews because this gun seems perfect once you add a mag well. I cannot find very many reviews and I never see one at a match. At a min, you would want to add a mag well.

Sig Match Elite Stainless 40 - I have very little exposure to Sig 1911s and cannot find any reviews or anyone actually running one at a match. This one has an external extractor so maybe it would run better, maybe not...

In general it seems most 1911 designs in 40 require tweaking and prefer to be fed longer ammo. If you do not reload, getting a longer round is an issue.

With all that said, I decided to make a few minor updates to the 45, buy 3000 pieces of brass, and shoot it this year. I would still like to find a 40 that ran out of the box and was accurate but I just have not been convinced that beast exists yet.

If you are not going to reload, I suggest you go 45, get good mags, and shoot.

I've looked at the Trojan in the last few weeks. And the para. I'lI look up the other as well. Thanks

Edited by blaster1977