Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 Mags not dropping free

ES13Raven

I have a Gen4 G35 that I have about 300 rounds through. The 3 magazines that came with it (10-round, CA) do not drop freely - especially at slide lock. This really slows me down in IDPA. I can't even shake them out.

My Gen4 G17 and G34 do not have this issue.

When I put my G34 mags in my G35, they drop free - even at slide lock.

I'm using Dawson EZ-off baseplates on the G35 and G34 if that matters.

What is the best way to get these G35 mags to drop free?

I've read a few other threads where people are using double-sided tape and sandpaper on a magazine to loosen up the inside of the magwell.

Since all (5) of my G35 mags are not dropping free, is that a better idea than sanding all the mags?

Have you rubbed the inside of the mag slot of the gun and the magazines with a silicone cloth? Another thing I've done is to cut a long thin piece of cardboard, like from a cereal box. I then fold it in half over the top of the magazine and insert in the gun before placing in safe. You won't be able to get the magazine all the way in.

Might sound weird but put them in a vice and gingerly tighten it. Not a lot but enough to squeeze the sides in. I did this with a few 10 round mags that were giving me trouble even after using light oil in the grip and it helped a lot.

You could also hit the magazine bodies with permanent market and work them in and out of the gun a few times. Then look for were the marks have worn off so you know where the problem areas are. Also, try examining with the slide off to ensure you are removing as many variables as possible for diagnosis.

I've read a few other threads where people are using double-sided tape and sandpaper on a magazine to loosen up the inside of the magwell.

This is what I ended up doing, and it worked pretty well. There was quite a bit of plastic to shave off, but now all my mags drop free.

My technique for dealing with this is a little less Neanderthal than jamming sandpapered mags into the gun. :goof:

I would take one of the offending magazines and coat it with a light dusting of cornstarch (you might use talcum powder, but you've REALLY gotta clean that stuff off, as it is slightly abrasive). Insert and remove a few times. Look on the mag where the powder is worn off. Look inside the magwell for a corresponding place where the powder is deposited. That's the true problem, usually.

In my experience, the trouble spot is usually where those "thumbrest" depressions are molded it. They impinge on the magwell just a little bit and actually grab the sides of the magazine. Use a Dremel with one of the fine sanding drums to remove the offending plastic.

In my case, it wasn't just one spot. The Sandpaper removed material from all 4 sides. It wasn't just one magazine either - all 5 of my mags would not drop free at slide-lock even if I shook the gun.

I started out with 220 grit wet/dry on just one side of the mag. Once that was loose enough (about 50 times) I was able to put sandpaper on the opposite side.

I would say it took at least 100 times before a regular mag would drop free on its own. This is with the slide, mag catch and all trigger components off. Then I used 400 grit and 600 grit to finish.

Edited by ES13Raven

• 3 weeks later...

The nite before use I give a quick spray of Hornady case lube on the mags and inside of the magwell.

Before use I wipe them off to make sure their is no residue to collect dust/dirt.

I had a friend that use to use pam no stick spray the same way, i thought he was crazy,... But it worked.

Worth a shot anyway

If you have 5 magazines and 1 doesn't drop free then its probably that 1 magazine being a little oversized. But if none of them drop free its probably the magazine well a little undersized.

You may want to further test your magazine well with fresh factory magazines and if the problem persists, then adjust your magwell instead of sanding down every mag you come across.

I mean, whats done is done and if its working great the OK, but if you have to borrow a magazine or two in a pinch ... then it might be worth it?

I had issues with a few different mags in my 35... I took my gun to a gun show, and went to a mag vendor... Tried mag after mag until I had five that dropped freely (took about 11-12 different mags) and haven't had an issue since. I sold my other mags that stuck to a buddy who had a 35 but they worked in... Problem solved, problem staying solved.

You may want to further test your magazine well with fresh factory magazines and if the problem persists, then adjust your magwell instead of sanding down every mag you come across.

That's exactly what I did by sanding the inside of the magwell. All mags drop freely now.