Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build or Buy Bench

EA308

I have used both. If an "off the shelf" bench will work for you and the price is right I would buy.

That said I didn't have more that a few hundred bucks in the last bench I built including leveling feet and paint, if you don't count time and there is no one that sells one like it.

IMAG1210.jpg

If you build you control everything and can take up every available inch. I built a huge bench in order to hold 3 presses and everything else that ends up on it. I started out with a kitchen table that had fold down edges. I took off one edge and bolted the one in the back to the wall. The pics above show you what extremes you can go to. Its your world I just know I wouldn't drop a couple hundred on a bench.

yeah if you have un-restricted space, build it as big as you can. when I started out I had a piece of the mechanical room in my town house. we had our kitchen re-done and I kept a few of the cabinets that we tore out.

worked great b/c I could store stuff in the cabinet. we added a child to the family so I was able to just add a lock to the cabinet for the time being.

I know have a new house and a much bigger area. I have two reloading benches now. one 2'x4' and the other is an L shape being 5' x 2' on the long side and 3' x 18" on the short.

If you build you control everything and can take up every available inch. I built a huge bench in order to hold 3 presses and everything else that ends up on it. I started out with a kitchen table that had fold down edges. I took off one edge and bolted the one in the back to the wall. The pics above show you what extremes you can go to. Its your world I just know I wouldn't drop a couple hundred on a bench.

I am leaning towards buiding it for the reasons you mentioned RammerJammer. We live in a townhouse now so building it myself will allow me to utilize all the space that I have.

yeah if you have un-restricted space, build it as big as you can. when I started out I had a piece of the mechanical room in my town house. we had our kitchen re-done and I kept a few of the cabinets that we tore out.

worked great b/c I could store stuff in the cabinet. we added a child to the family so I was able to just add a lock to the cabinet for the time being.

I know have a new house and a much bigger area. I have two reloading benches now. one 2'x4' and the other is an L shape being 5' x 2' on the long side and 3' x 18" on the short.

We have a new baby as well and I had not even thought about a way to lock up the reloading equipment. Good idea being able to lock the cabinet.

Being the cheap guy I am. I went to a furniture reseller found online. Basically a warehouse that buys furniture when offices upgrade or go out of business. Got a Point of Sale station from like a wireless phone store that is 9' long, on casters and has lockable drawers and cabinets. Removed the glass top and put in a plexiglass top that can hold screws. Plugged in display lights and can see what's inside from above. Sturdy as crap and spent $40. No way you can beat that. Furniture wholesale place definitely works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being the cheap guy I am. I went to a furniture reseller found online. Basically a warehouse that buys furniture when offices upgrade or go out of business. Got a Point of Sale station from like a wireless phone store that is 9' long, on casters and has lockable drawers and cabinets. Removed the glass top and put in a plexiglass top that can hold screws. Plugged in display lights and can see what's inside from above. Sturdy as crap and spent $40. No way you can beat that. Furniture wholesale place definitely works for me.

Sounds really interesting. Do you have any pictures you can post of the setup?