Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing guns and performance woes

kcobean

I shot my way to A class using an XDm .40 5.25. I recently came across a great deal on an STI Eagle and switched to it immediately. The gun runs like a top, but my performance/scores are WAY down since I switched to it 4 or 5 matches ago. I still haven't done ANY slow fire with the gun, I have only shot it at matches. Anyone else out there experience the same phenomenon? Does anyone just simply shoot a polymer gun better than a 2011? I guess I'm wondering whether this is just not the gun for me, or if I need to give it time to get my hands/brain used to it. Any input greatly appreciated.

I am sure there are those who prefer polymer guns but it sounds like you haven't given this gun a fair chance yet. At an absolute minimum you should be doing a lot of dry fire to get used to the feel and manipulation buy you also need to put in some live fire time to get used to the feel, timing, and learn how to shoot it accurately.

You answered your own question: "I've only shot it at a cople of matches ...". Did you make A class by just shooting matches or did you train to get there? You're gonna need to train with that gun just like your old one if you expect to perform the same ....

I shot my way to A class using an XDm .40 5.25. I recently came across a great deal on an STI Eagle and switched to it immediately. The gun runs like a top, but my performance/scores are WAY down since I switched to it 4 or 5 matches ago. I still haven't done ANY slow fire with the gun, I have only shot it at matches. Anyone else out there experience the same phenomenon? Does anyone just simply shoot a polymer gun better than a 2011?

I have the reverse phenomenon: shoot just about any 1911 type gun better than any polymer.

I'll wager you need to get the hang of how the new trigger breaks.

Edited by bountyhunter

I shot an SV with a steel grip for quite a while. I decided I wanted to shoot Production so I got a XD that was tricked out by Springer Precision. It had an awesome trigger job.

I shot Production ok. However, when I went to the Texas Star or mini poppers I pretty much sucked. It was not the gun, it was me. I did the appropriate amount of dry fire and practice but when it came to precision shots, I just was not the same as with my SV Limited gun.

I sold the XD. My lesson was when switching platforms you need to do a lot of dry fire and practice. As you know, TGO just won Revo Nationals and he did it with a lot of practice with Revo.

Now I only shoot my SV guns and stay away from any other platform. I don't have the time to acquire a new set of skills to shoot another platform.

What kind of trouble are you having? Accuracy? Transitions? (Overswinging because of the weight?) Slow draws? Sight tracking? Grip?

I found that I shoot a polymer better than my 2011. I just can't grip it well and manipulate it like I can the plastic POS.

I could dry fire the heck out of a 2011 but when it came to live fire it just didn't work for me.

My advice, dry fire the snot out of it and see where you're having troubles. It takes awhile to get used to the weight of the gun..

Edited by 3djedi

I'm having accuracy troubles. I'm dropping way more points than usual and steel is kicking my butt. The grip on the 2011 is heavily stippled, so it's definitely not shifting in my hands at all. The XDm has the closest thing I've ever felt to a single-action trigger in a polymer gun, so the trigger pull/action isn't a huge difference. I think it may be a grip shape issue. The XDm is very flat on the sides of the grip, where the 2011's overall grip shape is much more "round". Perhaps just the change in the way my hand fits around the gun is causing me to pull the trigger differently? I am dry-firing pretty consistently and I don't see the gun moving around during that. Live fire time is hard for me to come by, but I think it's what I need (not in a match!)

Try different finger placements on the 2011 trigger. The way you pull the trigger and how deep your finger may be to get leverage could be dramatically different one your 2011. Try shooting fast with more or less finger. Dry firing against a white wall and focusing on sight movement should also help you to see what is happening. Ideally the part of your finger on the trigger should be at 90 degrees when the shot breaks. If you find that trigger pull is the issue then you can try installing a shorter or longer trigger to make a perfect pull more natural for you.

One more thing you can try is to ease up on the overtravel setting a bit if you find that it is causing you to bottom out the trigger on the frame too much.

Edited by alma

• 1 month later...

It just takes time. I used to shoot limited with a Para P16 .40 but I haven't shot it in years. I carry a Sig P226 at work. A couple of months ago I was invited to a informal match and decided to break out my Para and show these guys how a real shooter does it. :)

Well I showed them. Missed simple shots, fumbled mag changes, dropped mags, I was so out of practice with my Para it was embarrassing ( and it cost me lunch)

I guess the moral of my story is lots of practice with one gun doesn't equate to other platforms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's simply trigger time. Honestly, that's about the best answer for every question like this.

For the average person, switching guns is going to be a chore. There are of course little tips and tricks to shortening the learning curve-- as per those helpfully suggested in this thread. But in the end, it's going to take trigger time one way or another.

The more trigger time you had before, the better you'll be with a new platform. Yes, it still takes work-- but you're not only closer by way of having your fundamentals locked up, you're also better equipped in your knowledge of past issues/solutions (and your ability to SEE and diagnose them immediately) that you shorten the learning curve on your own.

There's a reason why guys like Dave and Ben can switch platforms and be close to tip-top in a matter of months-- and no matter what you think, it's not the sheer volume of rounds they put down range during that time period. (Although they shoot a lot, dry fire a lot, and it all helps.)

That's why the age-old adage for this sport has always been, "If you wanna get to the top, pick one Division/gun and stick with it." And it's the truth.

KB,

I am/will be in the same boat as you. I have been shooting a XDm in .40 this past year. I have finely put the funds to gather to buy a STI .40 Edge. woo-hoo!! I shot many a year (early on in my IPSC years) with a single stack. I love the feel of the 19/2011 grip. Don't get me wrong, the XDm had a fine feel to it, but I am all giddy-- like a school boy on the play ground ready to punch the cute girl in pigtails-- waitin' for the STI to arrive!!

And I will even go you one further. I have our state match on 8/29 and I am using my buddies STI to shoot. Nothing like changing guns 2 weeks before a major event. But I love a challenge. I just used his gun the past Saturday at our local match. I went straight from the XDm to the 2011. I was whacking that trigger, smoke and fire was a belching from the muzzle, brass was a flying everywhere!! I love it. Daddy is home...

It's simply trigger time. Honestly, that's about the best answer for every question like this.

For the average person, switching guns is going to be a chore. There are of course little tips and tricks to shortening the learning curve-- as per those helpfully suggested in this thread. But in the end, it's going to take trigger time one way or another.

The more trigger time you had before, the better you'll be with a new platform. Yes, it still takes work-- but you're not only closer by way of having your fundamentals locked up, you're also better equipped in your knowledge of past issues/solutions (and your ability to SEE and diagnose them immediately) that you shorten the learning curve on your own.

There's a reason why guys like Dave and Ben can switch platforms and be close to tip-top in a matter of months-- and no matter what you think, it's not the sheer volume of rounds they put down range during that time period. (Although they shoot a lot, dry fire a lot, and it all helps.)

That's why the age-old adage for this sport has always been, "If you wanna get to the top, pick one Division/gun and stick with it." And it's the truth.

Yes, I think sticking with one gun is good and it definitely takes time to adjust to a new one. It certainly took adjusting going from my 34 to my unicorn

• 2 weeks later...

Most frustrating thing I did was go from M&P, to Glock, then to 1911 / 2011.... Being new and not skilled, this has been expensive and frustrating. So much so that I 've sold everything that doesnt have the same or simialr grip angle to my 1911 and 2011. Some people seem to be amble to bounce back and forth, at this point I'm not one of them!