Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Phoenix Trinity Aluminum Grip

ShadoFann

The steel grip will stop the stuck mags coming out, but as mentioned earlier if you get lazy on the mag insertion, you will get it stuck. You mentioned that you are squeezing the grip so hard that the grip wont drop. You have one of two problems. One you either have a contoured grip that is to thin, or you are shooting to tense. The metal grip will help and relax more on your grip, you will do better with both.

PT is a great group of people to work with, Brian and Tiffany are great.

Tommy Roupe THR Technologies/Roupe Grips

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One you either have a contoured grip that is to thin,

I once had one like that. When you tried it normally - the mag fell out nicely, but with a fast reload your grip is slightly different, and that was enough to keep the mag there. I just asked the gun builder to make another grip, less reduced.

The steel grip does not eliminate all the sticktion, you can have it happen for veriety of reasons. For instance, one mag was slightly fatter than the rest around the catch holes - about .3mm, to be exact, and that was enough to get it locked if you pushed the release button all the way. In another case the follower was too fat, rubbing against the frame. But overall the steel gtip is far more consistent.

Edited by Foxbat

The steel grip does not eliminate all the sticktion, you can have it happen for veriety of reasons. For instance, one mag was slightly fatter than the rest around the catch holes - about .3mm, to be exact,

The P/T grip has more room around the mag, the .3 mm is .012 or 4 hairs, the P/T grip could over come that obstacle

• 5 weeks later...

How is the durability of the aluminum compared to the stainless?

The aluminum grip is plenty durable, even on a limited or open gun running major.

I have close to 10k rounds of .40 major on my aluminum grip so far, and it shows ZERO signs of wear or fatigue.

Here's a build with a steel grip with regular texture. (Cerakote) Great traction without pain.

Really changes the balance of gun fantastically! Far superior.......

NICE blaster !!!

Interesting discussion here. I'm considering a PT AL grip for a new build. I'd like to have it Type III Anodized. Anyone had this done or have any experience with it? I'm researching local shops (save on shipping) and prices but any words of wisdom are welcome.

Not to beat the dead horse - but why would someone today consider the aluminum grip, when steel is available? Aluminum was the norm when we didn't have steel, but, at least in my view, steel is so superior that it seems natural to go for it.

Best deal for everyone - more money for the maker, and better feel for the shooter! :)

Edited by Foxbat

Not to beat the dead horse - but why would someone today consider the aluminum grip, when steel is available? Aluminum was the norm when we didn't have steel, but, at least in my view, steel is so superior that it seems natural to go for it.

Best deal for everyone - more money for the maker, and better feel for the shooter! :)

The horse is not dead, some applications need a lighter weight grip.

My needs are different. I already have a heavy gun with the HBar (tungsten sleeved barrel) so I don't need the added weight of the steel and I like the way it feels. My issue was that I was squeezing the plastic grip when doing reloads and the mag wouldn't drop. Problem solved with the aluminum grip. I also think it looks pretty cool.

Slightly off topic but if you wre going to build a 9mm open gun to use with major and minor ammo and I am going to use Trinity parts would you use the short dust cover frame and aluminum grip or what combo would work best.

Thanks

The Cmore is a Slide Ride moved forward with the back cut off and the switch moved to the side. The modification was done by Johnny Lim. I know someone is going to say "why would you do that and why not tune the gun so it ejects with the unmodified unit?". I know it's possible but I use mixed brass and occasionally one ejects weird and bounces off the mount and back into the ejection port. I also think I occasionally drag my thumb on the slide causing ejection issues. This mount just eliminates that possibility completely for me.

I have tried a 90 degree mount, I do not like it at all. I have tried a RTS and liked it but had a lot of problems with the dot size diminishing. I would like to use a RTS if it ever gets as reliable as the Slide Ride. This set up is working good for me for now.

Slightly off topic but if you wre going to build a 9mm open gun to use with major and minor ammo and I am going to use Trinity parts would you use the short dust cover frame and aluminum grip or what combo would work best.

Thanks

The answer to your question really relies in your choice , there is so many combinations you could go with, but I will tell you this what ever PT parts you use , you will be more than satisfied with them, on a side note talk to some other open shooters ask them about there guns, see if they would have done anything different when there's we're built and look at what you think is important in a gun. All of my guns were purpose built, I had my smith put every cut , blend, radius and so on where I wanted, I look at it as my guns are tools to use not for looking at. So put some thought into it, you will make good decisions and you will have a great gun when your done, good luck and post pics when it's done

Thank you ShadoFann. I'm going with the Delta Piont 3.5. I talk with JoJo @ JV Dynamics about it he said the 3.5 is perfect for USPSA and it's warrany is for life. I talked with them too. Lol

My appologizes it was JoJo I spoke with not Johnny Lim. Thank you.

Edited by a matt

Thank you ShadoFann. I'm going with the Delta Piont 3.5. I talk with Johnny about it he said the 3.5 is perfect for USPSA and it's warrany is for life. I talked with them too. Lol

I have given some serious consideration into looking at a Delta Point 2 with the 7.5 MOA Delta reticle. I don't think they are out yet. Has anyone had a chance to try one?