Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sling for M1A (Tactical type)

hopalong

I have seen somewhere that there are at least a couple of good tactical type slings for my M1A but now can't seem to find them.

Could any one point me in the right direction?

If I am going to need a sling for Jeffs Tactical match, maybe a tactical sling? :lol:

On a more serious note. I have a standard Military type leather sling on it and that works OK but looking for better mousetrap.

Thanks in Advance....

Benny, Kurt how about that Major Rifle thing again at Alabama in April/May? esp if he has a "heavy metal/He man" division.

Hopalong

• 3 weeks later...

I used to shoot for CQB Solutions, Now SpecterGear, and can testify to the quality of their stuff- I sold it for a while before I spoke to them about sponsorship. The CST series is the most versatile of the family, and I recommend getting one with an ERB (emergency release buckle) "just in case." If you want a combination of speed and support, you might want to check out the MOUT system. It's usually employed in conjunction with a reciever adapter, but the pigtail that comes with the sling can be wrapped around the wrist of an M1 carbine or M1A- it's been succesfully done on both. Check out the site at www.spectergear.com. I promise you won't be dissapointed.

Hopalong:

Sounds good to me! I am going to go warm up My favorite RIFLE on Sunday, a nice Hi Power match, all the way out to 600, the way The god of rifles intended. I know they are kind of boring but hey the basics are good for you!! KURTM

What Greg said.......

As far as I am concerned there are only 3 slings, each of which has a place in the universe:

1) VTAC sling for real world stuff, tactical matches, and all around use on military style rifles

2) Ching sling for hunting and 3 gunning

3) the granddaddy of them all, the highpower rifle sling.

All others are mere straps.

All others are mere straps.

Of course, a mere strap is what a lot of people actually want (or need) since they don't use a proper sling for stabilizing their shooting. They just need something to secure their weapon to their body and/or to carry it more easily. Kind of like a lanyard for their long gun. ;)

See 1) Why have a strap when you can have a VTAC sling which does everything a strap does only better?

It can aid in shooting (something a strap does not do)

It allows quick transitions to the weak side (something a strap does not do)

It is INSTANTLY adjustable (something a strap is not)

It is inexpensive (and the $$ goes to a good guy who supports 3 gunning)

AND FINALLY

IT IS WAY MORE COOL THAN ANY MERE STRAP ;)

SEVERELY crash tested. With a mere strap a guy could end up weaponless out in the middle of the f*&% desert. There you would be: broken vehicle, no gun, coyotes approaching......... You need a VTAC, the sling of life.

It allows quick transitions to the weak side (something a strap does not do)

Hah! You underestimate my strap! My single point sling is probably easier to do transitions than your multi-function wonder sling! It's a bungee too! BOING!

It is INSTANTLY adjustable (something a strap is not)

No need to adjust mine, baby! It stretches!

It is inexpensive (and the $$ goes to a good guy who supports 3 gunning)

Okay, I'll grant you the support of the guy who supports us ... but I'll bet my bungee and 550 cord were less expensive total! :P

AND FINALLY

IT IS WAY MORE COOL THAN ANY MERE STRAP    ;)

Hah! You have clearly never seen a guy drop his rifle onto a bungee sling (in order to transition to his sidearm) when it sproings back and clocks him in the chin and knocks him out. It doesn't get cooler than that! :lol:

Actually, the key feature I like about single point slings in general is simplicity. I've seen people get confused by the multiple straps and connections on various 3-point tactical slings, but that doesn't happen with a single point strap. That's mostly a training issue, but if you're not going to use it for stabilizing your shooting platform, I think the simpler the better.

Single point sling/strap = inexpensive, simple, ambidextrous

The VTAC is NOT a 3 point sling, nor is it complicated to use. See the photos at vikingtactics.com.

The instantly adjustable feature is what makes it the only tac sling which aids in shooting since you can quickly and easily tighten it while in position. This places tension across the back and holds the rifle somewhat more steady.

Rhino, obviously I can't convince you but the rest of you GET A VTAC!

The VTAC is NOT a 3 point sling, nor is it complicated to use. See the photos at vikingtactics.com.

OKay, that's true. I was referring to the body of "tactical slings" in general. Clearly the VTAC is a different animal. Actually, it's a lot like the Israeli slings, but obviously used in a completely different way.

The instantly adjustable feature is what makes it the only tac sling which aids in shooting since you can quickly and easily tighten it while in position.  This places tension across the back and holds the rifle somewhat more steady.

Does it give you the same kind of stability as a conventional leather shooting sling like high power shooters use?

Rhino, obviously I can't convince you but the rest of you GET A VTAC!

Dude, it's not a matter of convincing me. I'm not disagreeing with you! I'm just pointing out that mere straps have their place in scheme of things and that some of them have some definite advantages as compared to other systems.

It all depends on what the needs of the user are, and what he or she expects to get from the product they choose.

And the thing with the guy cold cocking himself actually happened in a Pat Rogers class last summer! :lol: