Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer flow and Clays

blaster113

Ive loaded many tens of thousands of .40 major but am new to Clays. Ive been carefully working up practice loads with 1x fired brass. Im using a 180 gr BBI, 1.205 oal, Winchester SPP and 3.9 grs of Clays for an awesome feeling 170 pf. This load feels like my 130 pf 9mm 147 gr fmj load. but some cases look like theyre starting to get primer flow. The only case that concerns me is the one in 2nd row, far left. Top row was fired over the chrono. Bottom 3 are Hydrashoks for comparison. Does this load look safe?

This load feels so nice but Im still a little leery

post-18249-0-53379900-1404423329_thumb.j

Edited by blaster113

Hodgdon lists max for 180grn and Clays at 3.5grns so you are a little over max. Just keep an eye on the primers. Those don;t look bad but tough to tell from pic. Could you take a clearer one?

As stated, primers look fine.

While Clay's does have a narrow window to work within when shooting major I think some other factors may be to blame for case head separation.

A friend of mine had 4 case heads separate, three in his gun (STI) and one in another (XDm), using WST and brass that was bought from a guy that had "cased pro'd" the brass. This same load chrono'd at area 5 at 165.5 PF using new Starline brass, so it wasn't HOT by any means.

We mentioned this case head separation condition to our squad mates, father / son team from SnS casting, and were told that it MAY have been from brass that had been "cased pro'd" before.

Edited by LikesToShoot

Hmmm all I use is an EGW U-die for resizing. Sticking to 1x fired brass only for my ammo with Clays. Man I hope this load turns out to be safe cause its SO soft shooting. Softer than N320. It definitely feels like cheating using Clays as others have said.

The only thing I'd suggest is loading longer (if you have enough freebore).

I tested clays out at 1.245" (Brazos, freebored out to 1.25") and it shot very soft. The only thing I didn't like about clays is that I'd get ~4 or 5 out of 100 that would sound almost like a squib. I weighed out 50 to test and still had a couple that sounded like a very light charge. It made me uncomfortable enough to stop using it.

Went to e3, which is 95% as soft as clays (for me) with no issues.

Thanks all, Im loading to 1.20 oal and the powder charge is only 3.9 grs. The primers themselves dont show any signs of flattening but the indentation from the firing pin on the primer is what concerns me. If powder werent impossible to get here I wouldn't have considered Clays. My go to powder for moly bullets is Solo 1000 but im running low

according to the Lyman pistol & revolver handbook 3rd edition

4" universal receiver

a 175gr LFP at OAL 1.100

WSP primers

MAX Clays 4.0 992fps CUP 20,900

and in the photos looks like the edges are still rounded

As stated by others, I see no primer flow. Back in the day of 175 PF we loaded 3.9 clays at 1.20 with 200 gr. JFP Zero bullets. To prevent primer flow we had to go to Winchester small rifle primers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been loading 4.0 clays with 180 grain Bayou bullets at 1.170 for years. Gives me a 168 PF, and is very, very soft shooting with no pressure signs (gun is custom built STI). If only I could find clays right now....