Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Trade My CZ for a Glock?

Shotz

I am a long time Glock guy and recently started shooting a CZ 75.

I picked up a CZ75 B about 6 months ago and wanted to convert it to a Limited or Open gun for some local “outlaw” steel matches because I did not want to mess with my G17 carry gun. I upgraded the CZ with CGW internals, converted it to SA and it shoots sweet and very accurate with slow fire, but I just can’t get it track with speed. I don’t know if it’s the different grip angle or what, but it just does not fit me.

I’m spot on with the G17 but always very low on the draw and some transitions with the CZ. I have been dry firing it every day and practice at the range 3 days a week but I cannot get it to hit when moving with speed.

Any suggestions or should I just trade it in for G34 and start over with a platform that I am familiar with?

Yes. Send me your address and I'll trade you my Glock for it.

Shoot what you shoot the best. Little hint though - you are going to shoot the gun that you practice with the best. You are going to practice with the one that turns you on the most. Platform really doesn't make that much difference if you are practicing.

That's the problem. I have been practing hard wih the CZ and can't seem to get it. It's frustrating and expensive with all the ammo I'm using for it.

That is why I'm wondering if it is time to throw in the towel and go back to the 'ol Glock. It would be shame becasue the CZ is beautiful gun. I love the why it looks and feels...I just can't house break her yet.

I'd say it's the difference in the grip angle. I've never been a fan of the 'points to the sky' Glock grip angle. You've trained yourself to point lower with the Glock, this is why your CZ (with a "normal" grip angle) is hitting low.

Go lighter than you think on the recoil spring. 11 pound?

But in the long run, sometimes it's worth it just stay on the platform you are used to. For example, I love 1911/2011s, CZs, but Glocks don't do it for me. Not saying I can't shoot one, but I have to think about it, and it feels like work. Just can't shoot it at speed as well.

No fault of the Glock, I'm just not as dialed in on one.

Edited by sfinney

If you shoot the Glock better then see if someone will trade you for a G34 and don't look back.

I shot Glocks in Production for years and even after transitioning to CZ I often wondered about going back to Glock. It was so familiar, I shot it well, and I had a great set up. Lots or people made GM with a Glock and assuming you have the right trigger and a good supply of Federal Primers you will absolutely be competitive.

I ended up selling my G34 so I would stop toying with the idea and so I could focus myself 100% on CZ.

Alma

Great advice but I can't get rid of my Glock 17 or 26 because they are my carry guns.

So if I keep the CZ, I'm going to have to learn how to switch between them.

Shoot the 17 then. Maybe not helpful but if I only had 2 Glocks I would have a 34 for competition and a 19 for carry. I liked the 26 but didn't find it to be much easier to conceal than the 19 but much less comfortable to shoot.

Since moving to CZ for competition I got a CZ 75 Compact L which has replaced my Glock 19 for EDC. I would still feel comfortable with the G19 but, again, I figured I would focus on one primary platform at a time.

Guns point where the sights go, no other way around that.

Yes, if you train on a Glock you WILL point other weapons low but its a simple matter of re-training yourself. If you cant make this happen you need to look at your own training programs and not the weapons.

For me, i found the transition from Glock to CZ effortless. Yes, i had to work on following my sights during my draw. Yes, i had to work on learning to track a gun with a very different slide profile.

The one thing i could NOT get to used to with my Shadows was the grip profile. The fat, squared off grip of the Glock made the gun track straight up and straight down and i was able to apply correct lateral pressure with my support hand. With the Shadow, due to the round, narrow grip (even with thicker VZ grips) the gun would never track correctly because my weak hand was constantly breaking off of the gun.

If you shoot the Glock well, why did you switch? The grass is not always greener on the other side.