Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortening Cylinder

ede

I've been thinking of having a 627 cylinder shortened to SC length. I'm guess the reduction in mass will equate to a reduction in trigger pull. Anyone done this and how much if any difference did it make? Thanks in advance.

You will lose the forcing cone or the throat in the cylinder when you do this and a lot of gas will escape out the end of the cylinder. It will make some difference but not that much. With the trigger jobs that can be performed now days it is better to spend your money on a high quality action job. If you do decide to do this you will also have to set your barrel back and extend the forcing cone and you will need to have your throat taylor throated or reamed to some degree because your bullet will be coming from a straight bore cylinder.

I know all this because I had this done and put a 38 super barrel on it. Funny thing is that I have V-comp and it shoots just as well.

You will lose the forcing cone or the throat in the cylinder when you do this and a lot of gas will escape out the end of the cylinder. It will make some difference but not that much. With the trigger jobs that can be performed now days it is better to spend your money on a high quality action job. If you do decide to do this you will also have to set your barrel back and extend the forcing cone and you will need to have your throat taylor throated or reamed to some degree because your bullet will be coming from a straight bore cylinder.

I know all this because I had this done and put a 38 super barrel on it. Funny thing is that I have V-comp and it shoots just as well.

Actually I'm wanting to replace the barrel on my VComp to reduce weight and figured while I was at it I might have the cylinder cut back. Trigger work has already been done to so nothing to be gained in the trigger department. My other thought is to buy a cheaper 627 and start over and get a lighter barrel installed on it.

The difference it will make in trigger weight would be minimal at best. My gauge shows around 1/4 pound difference in pull weight with the cylinder in verse when the cylinder is open and not rotating. A short cylinder or a titanium cylinder will fall some where less than a 1/4 pound reduction of no cylinder in the gun at all.

I have a 625 PC that has the shortened cylinder for 45. I've seen no advantage, a Ti cylinder will give you less weight and I don't think any of us have seen any issues with 38 sc in a 357 long chamber.

Another thing to remember, Ed McGivern years ago determined that a heavier cylinder acted as a flywheel so the first shot may feel a bit heavier, but as you start shooting the flywheel will make successive shots feel easier.

Always something to think about.

Another thing to remember, Ed McGivern years ago determined that a heavier cylinder acted as a flywheel so the first shot may feel a bit heavier, but as you start shooting the flywheel will make successive shots feel easier.

I guess it is something to think about but as a good example of frequently repeated nonsense. I grin when when "expert" gun magazine writers put it in print. The cylinder starts AND stops each time the trigger is pulled. Successive shots only "feel easier" (and are easier) because the you have fewer bullets in the cylinder making it progressively lighter. A Ti 625 cylinder loaded with rds with 230 gr bullets wieghs the same as an empty SS cylinder. Does make the trigger easier to pull fast.

Edited by Tom E

I did that. Cut the cylinder back to 38 super length. Put a .355 barrel on it. Taylor throated it. It shoots 2in at 50 yds with my 150JRN .356 bullets. Everyone said it wouldn't shoot. Whatever. If you want to do it go for it. If I had to do it again I would just put a Ti cylinder on it with a new barrel and call it good.

Pictures should still be up on this forum from when I posted it. Search starter pistol on steroids......

Have fun!

DougC

I guess it is something to think about but as a good example of frequently repeated nonsense. I grin when when "expert" gun magazine writers put it in print. The cylinder starts AND stops each time the trigger is pulled. Successive shots only "feel easier" (and are easier) because the you have fewer bullets in the cylinder making it progressively lighter. A Ti 625 cylinder loaded with rds with 230 gr bullets wieghs the same as an empty SS cylinder. Does make the trigger easier to pull fast.

Hey now. Don't be busting on Ed. He was not an "expert" gun magazine writer. Ed was "the man" when it came to revolver shooting. He walked the talk. Check out his book "Fast and Furious Revolver Shooting". I don't know that there has been anyone like him with DAO revolvers.

Peace out,

Steve

Somewhere on the revolver forum there is a picture of Julie Goloski Golob V-Comp that had the barrel lightened you might want to go that route. It has the cool factor and reduces the weight. I have been contemplating this for my V-Comp.

Check out his book "Fast and Furious Revolver Shooting".

Pretty sure Ed was Fancy, not Furious. :D

10-4. You are correct. Fancy. But certainly not a "expert" gun magazine writer by any stretch. Good book by the way.

Like Deano I shortened my 627 cylinder for short colt. I was thinking along the same lines as many of you that have tried it.

I want my cylinder throats back. The gun is cool and handles well but you really have to work at it to get a consistent load that shoots well all the time.

I found increased cylinder gap flash, even with an .005 gap. Really, If I did it again, I would go with a Ti cylinder and go from there.

Or just leave the cylinder alone and spend your time and money on something that matters! ;-)

+1 Like Primers!

Worry not about the lad with the shiny, cool gun that cost thousands of dollars, but of the quiet man with the well worn gun, who has spent thousands of dollars on Primers!

Not to say spending money on primers wouldn't be wise but where's the fun in not changing things up a bit. If I was happy with the status quo I'd still be shooting a stock Glock. That also maybe one of my downfalls; getting bored and wanting something new and different.