Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IGA/CONDOR COMPETITION OVER/ UNDER?

docscoutjr

Ok I know these have a reputation (at least where I come from) as being beater guns for the back of the truck or cabin, but I haven't heard anything catastrophically bad, and they seem well enough made. For less than $1,200 I can get a fully fitted new gun which seems almost too good to be true? Is it?

I have to agree, they are fine to take to the dove field and shoot a couple boxes a year through but have a tough time holding up the abuse of 1000's of round a year. I got a condor, my first O/U, when I was about 13, I wore it out in one year of shooting (4-H/SCTP) probably only 2000 rounds or so. I found a used Citori and I have been shooting it for 14 years. I have easily put 50,000 rounds or more through it. Hope this helps with your decision!

• 3 weeks later...

Sooo I ended up with a like new Win 101 sporting....

First time out did 21,19,23,21 at 16y.

Old timers were like "hey, what is that, I used to have that.....kicked like a mule".

I think it has less recoil than a 525, points better, is straiter and in my research for something under 2k represented the best value.

What I hope for is some head game training as I am/always have been my worst enemy when shooting IPSC pistol and I am really liking the challenge of keeping it all together while shooting a round of 25 trap.

Thanks for the advice.

DL

• 3 weeks later...

Old timers were like "hey, what is that, I used to have that.....kicked like a mule".

I think it has less recoil than a 525, points better, is straiter and in my research for something under 2k represented the best value.

What I hope for is some head game training as I am/always have been my worst enemy when shooting IPSC pistol and I am really liking the challenge of keeping it all together while shooting a round of 25 trap.

Thanks for the advice.

DL

I've had the same experience with the Win 101 as you did. I bought a beautiful Black Diamond Skeet and was very proud of it, got started in a skeet league and all I heard from the old timers was that they kick like a mule. Luckily I had a good friend who knew a lot more about shotguns than anyone there who eased my mind. If you think of it from a purely physics standpoint with a fixed breach gun the same loads are going to recoil at exactly the same force given shotguns of the same weight. The variable is how the gun fits you, mine fit me great and it kicked a little more than my 1100 but that's a given since the 1100 is gas operated.

Enjoy your 101 and don't listen to the guys, you are right that some of them are trying to get in your head and the others are just ehhh misinformed. If you know someone who can check out the fit that would be a plus, sometimes the pitch on the 101 is not correct causing the toe of the stock to dig in as you shoot, that's easy to correct with a tapered shim between the stock and recoil pad. Also the recoil pad is important, the recoil pad on most of the old 101's is going to be hard as a rock from age so a nice new soft pad makes a world of difference. Also don't shoot the heavy loads those same guys will try to tell you are necessary, any bird I've missed with 2 3\4 dram 1150 fps loads wouldn't have been hit with a heavier load.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice.

DL

I've had the same experience with the Win 101 as you did. I bought a beautiful Black Diamond Skeet and was very proud of it, got started in a skeet league and all I heard from the old timers was that they kick like a mule. Luckily I had a good friend who knew a lot more about shotguns than anyone there who eased my mind. If you think of it from a purely physics standpoint with a fixed breach gun the same loads are going to recoil at exactly the same force given shotguns of the same weight. The variable is how the gun fits you, mine fit me great and it kicked a little more than my 1100 but that's a given since the 1100 is gas operated.

Enjoy your 101 and don't listen to the guys, you are right that some of them are trying to get in your head and the others are just ehhh misinformed. If you know someone who can check out the fit that would be a plus, sometimes the pitch on the 101 is not correct causing the toe of the stock to dig in as you shoot, that's easy to correct with a tapered shim between the stock and recoil pad. Also the recoil pad is important, the recoil pad on most of the old 101's is going to be hard as a rock from age so a nice new soft pad makes a world of difference. Also don't shoot the heavy loads those same guys will try to tell you are necessary, any bird I've missed with 2 3\4 dram 1150 fps loads wouldn't have been hit with a heavier load.

funny, a guy at work a month or so ago was looking at a 101 (I have an older 30") and someone told him the same stuff.

as I was talking to him I asked him the same as you said, if the gun weighs the same fits the same same shells then how can it kick more?

he got the 101 and loves it. Ford Chevy........who cares as long as it ain't a Yugo. :)

• 6 months later...

lol.....well as much as I liked the 101, it wasn't a trap gun. Found that I wasn't able to keep my head up as much I would like with the lower rib and there is indeed a good reason for the high rib of a dedicated trap gun. Sooo sadly parted with the 101 and now shoot a Browning XT, 32" with adjustable comb. Had the intereting experience of thinking I was missing, but was just smoking the birds and nothing to track!

Hello: Sometimes it takes a while to find the right gun for you. The Browning may fit you better and shotgun shooting is all about gun fit. Now you need a Browning XT skeet, XT sporting to keep your other one company. Shotguns are addicting. Thanks, Eric

• 1 year later...