Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tape for grip insert

Craig N

Does anyone make a pre cut grip tape for the insert on the M&P?

I tried the Shur-grip tape that SpeedShooters carries but it didn't last pass one weekend till the adhesive peeled off. I have the Dawson tape on now but it stops at the insert.

I got skateboard tape on Amazon and cut it myself. It lasts me a few months (20 matches approx) until I feel like it needs to be replaced because the texture wears off. I have it starting from the bottom of the back strap to the beavertail and made slices to the sides so it went with the contour of the grip. I'll post a picture in a few minutes. And it cost me about $10 for 3ft of it.

I fought getting that stuff to stick to the insert for a couple of years. A few months ago I saw somebody stippled the back strap, your choice 20 bucks. I tried it and like it at least as well as tape. Got me a hobby soldering iron from Radio Shack and did the others myself. Did my friends. Can not remember who sells them for the life of me.

TalonGrips makes a great product. I have been using the same one since Nationals last year and it still grips well. Albeit to well to start with, after shooting nationals my hand was bleeding. They offer (or used to) a discount for multiples so I just bought three last time. Highly recommended.

http://talongungrips.com/grips/smith-and-wesson/m-and-p-full-size-.22-9mm-.357-.40-and-c.o.r.e..html

TalonGrips makes a great product. I have been using the same one since Nationals last year and it still grips well. Albeit to well to start with, after shooting nationals my hand was bleeding. They offer (or used to) a discount for multiples so I just bought three last time. Highly recommended.

http://talongungrips.com/grips/smith-and-wesson/m-and-p-full-size-.22-9mm-.357-.40-and-c.o.r.e..html

I wonder if that would work if I am using a standard backstrap off a non pro gun.

My new 9 Pro came with the CORE backstraps, they are amazing compared to the original ones. I wonder if anyone sells just the core backstraps. Wouldn't mind getting one for my 9 FS.

I just got a 9 pro that came with the core back straps too. Very nice. Note that they are rubber and grip tape will not stick to them. Ben Stoegers pro shop appears to have a three pack of grip tape with the back strap cutout for only $9.95 with free shipping. I just put one of my regular grip tape pieces on and trimmed it to fit.

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/S-W-M-P-Grip-Tape-Standard-Full-Size-Pistol-p/mp-gt.htm I know this is the opposite of what you wanted... maybe Ben will ship you the trimmings :)

Note that I trimmed it with the back strap off the pistol. Turned out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by razorfish

I just got a 9 pro that came with the core back straps too. Very nice. Note that they are rubber and grip tape will not stick to them. Ben Stoegers pro shop appears to have a three pack of grip tape with the back strap cutout for only $9.95 with free shipping. I just put one of my regular grip tape pieces on and trimmed it to fit.

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/S-W-M-P-Grip-Tape-Standard-Full-Size-Pistol-p/mp-gt.htm I know this is the opposite of what you wanted... maybe Ben will ship you the trimmings :)

Note that I trimmed it with the back strap off the pistol. Turned out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't think he's making Tim cut those out...........

I went with the Talon grip ones that wrap around the backstrap. They aren't super sticky on the backstrap and I have to press them back down now and then but they worked great this weekend.