Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spacers coming loose

Sarge

I have been using silicone to hold my spacers in place in my STI mags but at area 5 I had two work loose. I am trying to wear in a new slide and was running the gun super wet so I am guessing some oil might have gotten down in the mags? I am thinking of trying JB weld or some other epoxy. I don't plan on ever going to 38 so I am not worried about getting them out.

Will JB or epoxy hold more or less permanently? Will I have to rough things up or will they hold on smooth surfaces?

And no, I am not just going to run them loose.

Thanks

I would imagine that a good welder would have no problem. I'm guessing that you would have to drill a couple/few small holes through the back of the mag. That way there's a simple spot to take the spacer in.

Look for a glue called Permabond 910. It's a super glue specifically for metal bonding. It works great, I have fixed a lot of stuff with it and never had it separate.

http://www.permabond.com/

How come you don't want to run them loose? I run metal and plastic followers loose with no issues. Do you just not like the rattle or movement?

George

How come you don't want to run them loose? I run metal and plastic followers loose with no issues. Do you just not like the rattle or movement?

George

Correct! Rattling means broke to me and I just like no noise when I shake a mag. Personal preference i guess.

JB weld works great on a rough surfaces plus its oil resistant, smooth i wouldnt put money on,JB is a permanent fix unless you get really bored....welding will always work if ya get someone to do it right hope this helps hooah!

I have found one other way that has held fine for about 10k rounds. Firstly, I assume you are using the hardy steel spacers, if not ignore. First, prep the spacer (round the edges that will go against the back of the mag, bevel the bottom, and bevel the notch on top. Clean both with gun scruber or equivalent. Then use hot melt glue all along the back of the spacer to tack it into the mag. Then, rig some clamps at both the top and bottom of the mag to pull the spacer against the mag body. Finally heat both the spacer and the mag body with a propane torch until the glue remelts and the parts come together. let cool

• 2 weeks later...