Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 Rimfire Open Pistol Build

Hatchet

I recently finished a rimfire open build in the hopes that I can get my son started on competitive shooting. I went with the Ruger platform since that's what I know best in the world of rimfire; my father got me a MkII for xmas when I was 11. I was planning on just getting a Pac-lite upper for my existing frame but decided I'd rather have my son learn on a more standard mag release setup and started looking for a MKIII frame. I got a Brownells flyer in the mail at the same time my wife was bugging me about what I wanted as an anniversary gift and the build went off the deep end; although the frame came from another site that was a lot cheaper. My boy is a bit of a peanut and just coming up on 9 so I wanted the build as light as possible; the only trade-off I made in that respect is the longer barrel but it came out light enough I think. I only have a hundred rounds through it, 70 mini-mag and 30 Aguila, but it operated flawlessly. Can't wait to setup a Steel Challenge stage in the pits at my club and take him over to start him learnin :D

PacLite1.jpg

PacLite2.jpg

PacLite3.jpg

Full build:
Volquartsen lower with their race parts
Tactical Solutions billet grips
Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite 6" threaded upper
Tactical Solutions comp and rail
old Optima 2000 (JPoint) dot sight I had in the parts bin
JP JPoint picatinny mount
Ruger bolt assembly (ebay)
Ruger mainspring assembly
Majestic Arms MKIII mags with extended basepads.

Wow, I really should not have seen that picture. That is awesome! I have a 22/45 already, but it is 100% stock. Better get out the piggybank.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently finished a rimfire open build in the hopes that I can get my son started on competitive shooting. I went with the Ruger platform since that's what I know best in the world of rimfire; my father got me a MkII for xmas when I was 11. I was planning on just getting a Pac-lite upper for my existing frame but decided I'd rather have my son learn on a more standard mag release setup and started looking for a MKIII frame. I got a Brownells flyer in the mail at the same time my wife was bugging me about what I wanted as an anniversary gift and the build went off the deep end; although the frame came from another site that was a lot cheaper. My boy is a bit of a peanut and just coming up on 9 so I wanted the build as light as possible; the only trade-off I made in that respect is the longer barrel but it came out light enough I think. I only have a hundred rounds through it, 70 mini-mag and 30 Aguila, but it operated flawlessly. Can't wait to setup a Steel Challenge stage in the pits at my club and take him over to start him learnin :D

PacLite1.jpg

PacLite2.jpg

PacLite3.jpg

Full build:

Pretty much the gun I'd love to build, but not sure I can spend that kind of cash until I unload a few guns that are collecting dust.

My current .22 for Steel Challenge is a stock Ruger 22/45 MKIII with a Burris Fastfire 3. Love the gun, but surgery last year on my shooting hand/trigger finger makes it nearly impossible for me to pull the heavy trigger, so I have to shoot left handed.

Debated about upgrading the trigger on the 22/45, but I'm having trouble spending money on a cheap gun to make it better, when I could just save up and get exactly what I want.

Jdphotoguy

All I did was grt the Volquartsen sear and trigger and I have a 1.5lb trigger pull . Also have bushing to get rid of magazine disconect . Think inmight have 75 at the most in the trigger.

Edited by DC730

Yeah, I got a lot of questions at the Nationals about my Buckmark. Wait to you see my STI Steelmaster .... Same concept and pattern but it will be a blue and black vice the blue and silver ....

Yap volquartsen sear, the BAM bushing to eliminate the mag safety and the volquartsen trigger and you have a nice light trigger and it's not that expensive. I wouldn't worry about putting some money in a cheap gun to make it more shoot able for you as it's better than shooting left handed.

Well looks like the Hatchet curse has struck again. I just went an ordered a Volquartsen lower from Midway. Wasn't going to buy anything, but with a clearance price of $419 for black and cheaper for silver, I couldn't pass up the deal.

Until I offload a few guns and such I don't use, I'll be using parts from my Ruger 22/45 to finish it off. Eventually I'll replace all the Ruger parts.

Hatchet, if you have your gun finished by the next Steel Challenge match we can have a little competition.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Nice did you get a mark iii lower or a 22/45 ? Either way if you were not happy with the stock set up the new one should make you happy and beable to enjoy it once again. Did midway let you use the 45 off coupon they are running right now? I like to move towards a 22/45 style grip but that price...

Jdphoto if you want to and your stock ruger frame allows you to out grips on it I may be intrested in buying it if price is right. If so send a message how much you would like to get for it

That thing Is a work of art, your son is one luckly kid. hopefully he know and appreciated it.

PacLite1.jpg

PacLite2.jpg

PacLite3.jpg

Full build:

Nice did you get a mark iii lower or a 22/45 ? Either way if you were not happy with the stock set up the new one should make you happy and beable to enjoy it once again. Did midway let you use the 45 off coupon they are running right now? I like to move towards a 22/45 style grip but that price...

I bought the 22/45 lower and did not know about the $45 off coupon, that would have been sweet.

Jdphoto if you want to and your stock ruger frame allows you to out grips on it I may be intrested in buying it if price is right. If so send a message how much you would like to get for it

I'm afraid mine is the one without replaceable grips.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll look into the sear and trigger upgrade, already elimiated the dumb magazine disconnet issue.

JD, I hope to have mine finished this week. You can check out the trigger. I think I paid $125. I added up all the parts to get just what I wanted and I could have bought a Volquartsen Scorpion for almost the same price. So, I compromised by not getting the entire lower and using the Ruger barrel. I like working on them about as much as I do shooting them, so I went the less expensive and more fun route.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll look into the sear and trigger upgrade, already elimiated the dumb magazine disconnet issue.

JD, I hope to have mine finished this week. You can check out the trigger. I think I paid $125. I added up all the parts to get just what I wanted and I could have bought a Volquartsen Scorpion for almost the same price. So, I compromised by not getting the entire lower and using the Ruger barrel. I like working on them about as much as I do shooting them, so I went the less expensive and more fun route.

Guess you didn't see my post about buying a Volquartsen lower, should have it this or next week.

GSG 1911. CWaccessories makes some incredible parts. I have a complete tricked out of with the aftermarket slide, comp, and performance parts kit, with a burris fast fire 3 on top.

Have you tried to remove the LCI in that gun yet? Reason why I ask is that on my Cobalt LITE the LCI pin seems to be driven in. No magnet or any of the other techniques listed on this forum or other forums works to get it out. I have removed several LCI's from the steel models and even the black LITE model but I think short of driving the pin out mine wont budge. Just curious what yours is like.

I have heard this. There are a couple of threads about it on Rimfire Central. As it turns out I guess I got lucky. When disassembled the pin in my gun was slightly above flush in it's hole. The pin lifted right out with no problems at all.

Yeah, I got a lot of questions at the Nationals about my Buckmark. Wait to you see my STI Steelmaster .... Same concept and pattern but it will be a blue and black vice the blue and silver ....

Post up some pictures when it's complete.

I shot the pistol before I upgraded it and it had a few malfunctions, some definitely ammo related. Here is a list of what I did.

Ruger 22/45 Lite

Removed the LCI--useless

Removed the sights

Tandemkross Slingshot on the slide return

Exact edge extractor

Volquartsen Mark II Accurizing kit with magazine disconnect

Tandemkross compensator

Allchin mount

Cmore 6 moa optic

When finished it weighed 26.4 ounces and had a trigger pull of exactly 2 pounds. Took it to the range and adjusted the pretravel, overtravel and the optic and it ran like a champ. Obviously not much recoil or muzzle flip. It never really came off of 8 inch plates at about 15 yards. I also have to say that the Volquartsen sear was a piece of art. It had a beautiful mirrored finish.

I might change the grips, but I like the way it looks and feels right now. Only other thing I might buy is a holster, just so I don't have to bag it up between stages. Thanks for all the input, especially T Baucus.

post-46127-0-91107200-1404395624_thumb.j

Guess you didn't see my post about buying a Volquartsen lower, should have it this or next week.

I did not see it, but I did see the one about more competition! I can't wait to see the complete lower.

I did not see it, but I did see the one about more competition! I can't wait to see the complete lower.

Lower should be here next week and as I mentioned I'll be using the Ruger 22/45 barrel, and bolt, also a Burris FastFire III. I'll eventually replace the stock bolt with a Voquartsen comp bolt. Not sure what barrel I want, TacSol looks nice, but I thought someone else made something similar. Might change out the Burris for a Cmore like on my Open gun.

Pickup a Volquartsen main spring, TK comp (for a future barrel), and VZ grips.

One question about the Volquartsen Comp bolt. It comes in two flavors, MKII and MKIII. Which one should I get if I go with a TacSol barrel or does it even matter?

Edited by jdphotoguy

Until I offload a few guns and such I don't use, I'll be using parts from my Ruger 22/45 to finish it off. Eventually I'll replace all the Ruger parts.

Forget Hatchet's open rimfire, what are you offloading?

If you're serious, send me a text and I'll give you first crack.

Volquartsen lower and main spring have arrived, along with a TandemKross Comp. TacSol Pac-Lite 4.5" barrel ordered, VZ grips should be here tomorrow. Now just need to order a rail for the FastFire III dot and a Volquartsen Competition Bolt, then my little Steel Challenge Open gun is ready.

Might order some Majestic Arms mags as well.

Edited by jdphotoguy