Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The New Ultimate USPSA Production Glock Project

saibot

Hey Glockists!

Last year I asked you all for help on switching to the Glock and building up a G34 for competing in USPSA Production. Thread was here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=181966&hl=

Well it was a smashing success and I've been super happy with it's performance and reliability. I though you might be interested in seeing the new version I just built up along with my parts and process. I hope it helps out anyone looking to do the same!

Thanks again to you all for all of the help you've provided. Very much appreciated.

Link to the new one:

http://www.recoilsports.com/2014/06/the-new-ultimate-uspsa-production-glock-project/

AdvocatusDiaboli-

How has the Zev striker worked out for you? Reliable? Any doubling or light strikes? I've heard some things about it that I wasn't sure were typical.

I'll report back when I get a chance to test it out.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've had 2 light strikes in about 3000 shots with Remington primers. I keep thinking about putting in the 4.5# spring instead of the 4# spring in there now. But, the light strikes just haven't been that prevalent.

Edited by AdvocatusDiaboli

I've had 2 light strikes in about 3000 shots with Remington primers. I keep thinking about putting in the 4.5# spring instead of the 4# spring in there now. But, the light strikes just haven't been that prevalent.

Hmmm. I wonder how mine is going to do. It came with a 3lb and 3.5lb spring. I guess we'll see. I'm running CCI primers now so I wonder how the compare to your Remington's as far as energy required to detonate?

Thanks for the info!

Interesting discussion. I just put a Venek classic in my Gen 4 17 and went with the 4.5 lb spring and several light strikes with magtech ammo first try. I put the 5 lb spring in and Ill be trying that soon... hopefully that will fix it. I can be having light strikes.

Interesting discussion. I just put a Venek classic in my Gen 4 17 and went with the 4.5 lb spring and several light strikes with magtech ammo first try. I put the 5 lb spring in and Ill be trying that soon... hopefully that will fix it. I can be having light strikes.

Do you have a lightened striker? If not, I highly recommend it. That will drastically reduce your light strikes.

I'm talking about the striker/firing pin spring at 4#s.

Yep, me too. In fact if you look at the picture with all of the parts, the "light" spring is 2 lbs.

I wonder if it's because it's part of the kit???

Do you have a lightened striker? If not, I highly recommend it. That will drastically reduce your light strikes.

Ya, and they're supposed to be longer, too. I sure wish I could get the Jager again. My Vanek and Jager just run flawlessly, even with the light spring. I sure hope my ZEV system works as well.

Yep, me too. In fact if you look at the picture with all of the parts, the "light" spring is 2 lbs.

The Zev kit I got came with 2 springs. One for a standard 3# trigger pull and one for a light 2# trigger pull. Not 2 and 3# springs. Not sure what the actual spring poundage is on the springs. You might want to check the package and see what it says exactly. It's kind of confusing how they mark them.

The Zev kit I got came with 2 springs. One for a standard 3# trigger pull and one for a light 2# trigger pull. Not 2 and 3# springs. Not sure what the actual spring poundage is on the springs. You might want to check the package and see what it says exactly. It's kind of confusing how they mark them.

Ahh, well that makes more sense. Gratuitous over usage of the # character!

:)

I was wondering how the heck that would have worked. Thanks for the info!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I just wanted up post an update on the NEW Ultimate USPSA Production Glock Project and how it's working out with the new setup. Now that I have a 1000 rounds through it I compare the two different setups. I hope it helps you if you're comparing any of the different parts I use.

http://www.recoilsports.com/2014/07/new-g34-project-update-first-1000-rounds/

Good Articles.

The steel guide rod is now allowed in IDPA SSP. Rules say material no heavier than stainless steel. Polymer was the old rule but due to the gen4 guns having the dual steel system they changed the rule.

This is pretty much exactly how I have my 34 set up except mine is a gen3 and I do my own trigger work.

The steel guide rod is now allowed in IDPA SSP. Rules say material no heavier than stainless steel. Polymer was the old rule but due to the gen4 guns having the dual steel system they changed the rule.

That's good to know. Thanks. Didn't see that. Will save me having to swap out the guide rod in my 34 from 3 gun to IDPA.

Good Articles.

This is pretty much exactly how I have my 34 set up except mine is a gen3 and I do my own trigger work.

Thanks for letting me know that! Great to know my backup gun is legal without messing with it.

Good write up. My Vanek triggers have the trigger housing that can be adjusted for pre travel and over travel and the travel is as short as the Fulcrum triggers. Try it, you will like it.

Any ideas on how to do it safely? It looks like you would be hitting the striker safety pretty quickly if you start turning the screw much. And did your trigger safety hit the frame and need any work?

Thanks for the info!

Good write up. My Vanek triggers have the trigger housing that can be adjusted for pre travel and over travel and the travel is as short as the Fulcrum triggers. Try it, you will like it.

Any ideas on how to do it safely? It looks like you would be hitting the striker safety pretty quickly if you start turning the screw much. And did your trigger safety hit the frame and need any work?

Thanks for the info!

The trigger bar is enhanced and when the pre travel is reduced properly the firing pin safety is not depressed and the rear of the trigger safety is close but does not hit the receiver.

I am running a very similar set in both my 34 & Gen 4, 35.

ZEV comp idpa legal trigger kit

ZEV skeloton firing pin with the #2 sprng

SS Guide Rod #13 spring for minor, #15 for major

Warren Comp FO sights with the .245 front (the POI of the .215 was about 7" high)

Grip tape

I look to add some TTI +0 base pads or similar soon also.

So far the combo has been great, one of my sooting partners has the TTI RTS package and they are very similar. I actually like the feel of the ZEV set up with #3 striker spring better. I feel a more positive reset and "seems" to have a crisper break.

I had loads ejecting 2' or less from me and it still went to slide lock every time.

Happy & Safe shooting

I was under the impression you cannot change the resting place of the trigger in production so pre travel adjustments are out.

I may be wrong here, but I don't think it matters if it's done internally. I seem to recall this being an issue because the changes were being done on the trigger lever itself which is visible. I'm sure someone will set us strait either way.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks everyone for the posts! Looks like I need to see what I can get out of the Vanek, but the ZEV is working well for me so far.

I am certainly sold on the TTI sights, although I've found I need to adjust my loads a bit to align my POI with my POA.

I was under the impression you cannot change the resting place of the trigger in production so pre travel adjustments are out.

I may be wrong here, but I don't think it matters if it's done internally. I seem to recall this being an issue because the changes were being done on the trigger lever itself which is visible. I'm sure someone will set us strait either way.

Thanks for the info!

IIRC, the rulings in the past are in line with what Magsz is stating. Any internal change to affect pretravel still affects the external aesthetics to the gun when at rest. In the past, these triggers have not been allowed hence certain Vanek triggers were a no go in Production. How some triggers are getting approved that have less take up is beyond me.

Edited by matt7184