Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don't want to Shoot

TriggerT

I hate that after having a really good year, as far as shooting goes, that I have no, zero, nada desire to shoot. Maybe it is from having worked at the range more than usual, maybe it is the cold weather. Whatever the reason, I could care less about shooting right now. Our clubs largest match of the year is in just under a month, and I don't want to even pick the gun up. Hopefully after I go on vacation and miss shooting for 2+ weeks I will get the motivation back. :(

Agh! Its over 100 degrees of humid hot, sun-burns-holes-in-the-pavement weather here... I'm dying to shoot and shoot and shoot... But I have no ammo... :(

So? I KNOW I should dryfire... But I'm so not in the mood... :angry:

I kinda understand your situation, and the only offer I can make to alleviate your problems is to send me your guns (Ok, ok, I'll pay the shipping...) and I promess you'll never have to shoot them again. :P

Man!

I know the feeling! Fortunatley I have my other passion, Riding my dirt bike and my quad. Thats what I do in the off time. For me it's good to get my head into something else. Otherwise I sit around being bummed that I don't want to shoot. It's cool because several guys that I shoot with also like ride. :D

Ivan

Burned out?

my previous favorite hobby was restoring musclecars. My 1967 SS 396 chevelle has been in the garage with fresh paint for over three years now, unassembled. I don't know where the desire went. I think I lost most of it when I took a job as a mechanic at a muscle car shop and worked there for four years.

Maybe it's time to take a break? As strange as it sounds, some of us are not wired to be "ON" all of the time.

I'll bet if you do take a break, when you do come back (and you will) you'll feel better about shooting than you ever have.

Edited by Shooter Grrl

The key to getting over a *down* period is to walk away completely. This includes pushing it out of your mind, as well as your physical activities.

As long as not shooting is causing you stress, it will continue to be a negative in your life. Let it go! The next time you think about it, it will be a positive and you'll be ready to come back.

I second the advice of just laying off, I was pretty well tired of shooting by the end of last year. So for the most part, I haven't touched a gun from about late October, until this week. I dry-fired some, played around with it some, but nothing serious until now. After the break, I'm ready to roll again, wanting to dry-fire and handle my gun, getting back into good shape for the coming season.

A few years ago, I reached a plateau in Action Pistol. Could not score much higher and really didn't go lower. Just stayed the same. And got upset about the lack of improvement

I quit practicing all together and came back a couple months later...cold..to a local match and a regional championship in the same weekend. At the local match, cleaned the plates for the first time, and posted a personal best. At the Regional, posted another personal best two days in a row which got me the Master card I was chasing since I started. Even qualified for some Distiguished points. And these scores were 40 points above where I was before I took the break.

The difference was it was fun again, not the second job which it had become.

TT, maybe you just need to have fun again.

I went thru this a couple of times over the past two years...

The first time I just skipped a 7-week league session and came back refreshed for the next one. The second time I realized I'd plateau'd out in skill (for the moment), didn't have the resources (which were declining all along) for professional instruction, extra practice sessions each week and all the ammo it'd take to do BOTH of those things. Besides which (this year) I wasn't feeling well for several weeks and just didn't have what it took to get UP some mornings, let alone worry about "league." So I blew off league altogether for the past (and current) three league sessions and will be back in spring--a year from the start of all the trouble.

I think I wuz just plain flat burned out and needed to make serious lifestyle and vocational changes (which I did) and focus on some deeply fundamental human issues before solving the shooting issues. My revenue stream will be markedly better by spring and my new vocational focus has fallen into place nicely, so perhaps I'll actually be able to RE-focus on shooting again. I just need to hire a shooting coach, though. :rolleyes:

So, don't feel all alone. :)

I hate that after having a really good year, as far as shooting goes, that I have no, zero, nada desire to shoot. Maybe it is from having worked at the range more than usual, maybe it is the cold weather. Whatever the reason, I could care less about shooting right now. Our clubs largest match of the year is in just under a month, and I don't want to even pick the gun up. Hopefully after I go on vacation and miss shooting for 2+ weeks I will get the motivation back. :(

Shoot, shoot matches, life is short!

I'm with you, taking a burnout break. Not shooting matches because of weather. Not practicing or dry-firing because of burnout. Also not practicing due to funds.

I burned out after the USPSA nationals. All that practice for poor results. Went to Area 2 but didn't have my heart in it.

Maybe I'll be re-kindled by spring.

Not just burnedo ut on USPSA, but don't even want to be bothered with shooting, or any gun stuff. I'm in the process of starting a new business, getting ready to go on vacation, and just bought my first ever diesel truck that I am learing about. Too many irons in the fire I guess. Hopefully when I get back from vacation I will have the desire back.

Kory--

I tell EVERYONE who will listen that if you really want to learn about a hobby, go do it for a living, but I promise you you will loose some of your passion for it. Happened to me with woodworking, and SCUBA. Work is work, fun should be fun and something you WANT to do, not NEED to do.

TriggerT, whatever you do, don't force yourself. Go with whatever feeling you have and just see what happens, is my advice. We have emotions like that for a reason. Going against them is what burns most people out. Good luck. I know you'll be fine. Been there a couple o' times meself :)

TT:

Is it the shooting at matches, the travel, the preparation, practicing? Have you broke it down to the parts that really wear you out?

Do you remember the fun part that hooked you in initially?

PS What diesel truck did you get?

TomB

I can really relate, after being in the shooting industry and traveling a lot and shooting , me and my wife started our own business a little over a year ago. It took alot out of me, I only shot a few major matches, and a handfull of local matches. I'm fortunate enough to shoot over 1000 yrds at my home so I did a lot of plinking ,no serious practicing, except long range stuff. but now after missing it I am ready to start getting serious again (was I ever serious????) maybe I wont be shooting a lot of big matches but I do plan on alot more local and semi local stuff. I've got a new serious long range rifle being built right now and that is getting me all warm and fuzzy. So maybe you just need to take a break for a while, go play with your guns , have fun, then after alittle while you get your desire back.

Trigger T, often we don't truly understand from where our motivation originates. You mentioned that there is a big match coming up at your club and you aren't very excited about it. I'm guessing that, at some level, your mind is unsettled by dread over over how well you will be shooting at that match. Since, you have been feeling off your game and not practicing, your mind is telling you that your performance will probably suck at the match, thus dread creeps in.

My mind is always attempting to fill me with dread over my shooting. The accusations go like this: " All that time and practice and you're going nowhere." "Dude, you're just wasting ammo!" "No wonder you don't get any better, you don't have the dicipline to practice!" Does any of this sound familiar to anyone, or is it just me?

You also mention going on a vacation, yes maybe that will help. What would help even more would be for you to view that big match as a vacation of it's own. There will be friends there, no? Everyone will be looking to have some fun. What if it didn't matter in the least how well you finished? What if you knew you were losing your eye sight and this would be the last match you ever would shoot?

Here is what I'm driving at. Enjoyment of life is a great motivation for anything we do. Who ever grows tired of being happy? As long as our shooting does not turn into a selfish persuit that robs our other relationships, it can be a chain of moments made of pure enjoyment.