Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Model 29 for USPSA

Endurokids

I would think the spring loaded speedloaders like the SL Variant would be the best competition speedloader. I don't think they make a COMP III for the 29.

Tips - Practice reloading lots and shoot As always.

Loads - Think 44 Special brass (shorter so its easier in and out) and a round nose bullet with a nice long oglive so it self centers into the hold easier.

I have a knock off of the smith and wesson 29 ..an astra 44 mag ..swings nice points well...it is a back up for something else so have only shot it in 2 club matches but used hks speed loaders (someone with more experience may know of something better but that is what was available to me). As far as loads go most 44 special loads should work. Just watch out for the cowboy ammo out there if you go commercial as most will not make powerfactor. Something else to think about if you want to go all out is getting it cut for moonclips and loading 44 russian brass.

I shot a 4" M29 for several years. Had it cut by Clarks, TK Custom can also or even a good machinist with the blue prints TK can send you, for Moon Clips and they can do it for under $100. Worked great, really loved it, would've been even better with a 6 or 6 1/2" barrel. The only problems are the Moon Clips are way more expensive than 45 and not near as sturdy as a Hearthco, they're actually very flimsy. Finding RN bullets of any kind are problematic and the final reason I use it only for back up now. I never really checked but Hearthco may be able to make tighter fit moon clips, and if he did it would be as effective as a 45, the issue would be if the brass is consistent enough. Also cutting one for a Moon Clip still lets you use it without, it doesn't take the support off for the rim on the outside.

With Moon Clips use .44 Russian cases, almost as good as a 45 acp, the OAL is 1.280+. I never wanted to spend the money on SL Variants as Speed Loaders just aren't as quick as Moon Clips for me. When I did use them I used regular SKS twist knob, or the Safariland spring loaded even though they don't have a handle extension for competition. I'd use either .44 magnum or .44 special cases with the Speed Loaders though, as the extra length of the cartridge really helps with reloads.

Edited by pskys2

Congratulations on the guts to be a little different. I love the 29 and 629. The above are all good recommendations, but I also suggest asking yourself what your goals are. If you want to have fun with it or just get better with your main carry gun, use the gear you have or buy gear to optimize your current setup. If you really want to be state of the art, yep, I would suggest a different gun.

The HKS speedloaders are commonly available; I would go with those unless I was trying to game it. I also have a Safariland "custom fit" paddle holster that works well with my 629 and 625; it is a good holster for the money, and it is good off the range, too.

Have fun!

Safariland makes the Comp II for the 44 mags. A guys that shoots ICORE with us runs his 629 and does decent with it. I forget what bullet he uses, but runs it over Trailboss and the barrel barely moves. I am planning on taking my 657 this month for ICORE and borrowing some speedloaders. This is a "just because I can" idea. Something different than usual.

I'm thinking you could do just fine with a M29/629. I would strongly consider using .44 Spec brass - quicker in/out, and more positive ejection.

For USPSA and ICORE Limited, moon clips are definitely the way to go.

For ICORE Classic, speedloaders are required.

For the latter, I have a dilemma. I have a M24-3 .44 Spec I would like to try using in ICORE Classic. The problem is, apparently there are no competition speedloaders available for it. Safariland Comp III? No. SL Variant? Reputed to be among the best, but haven't been available for a long time, and no relief in sight.

HKS and 5 Star speedloaders are available.

I always considered HKS to be "low end" (and wore out quickly on me).

I don't know much about 5 Star speedloaders. Never even seen one. They appear to be good, but not competition style. Anyone here ever use 5 Star speedloaders?

Having said that, anyone here shoot a .44 in USPSA or ICORE using speedloaders? Recommendations?

I don't know much about 5 Star speedloaders. Never even seen one. They appear to be good, but not competition style. Anyone here ever use 5 Star speedloaders?

I use 5 Star speedloaders with my 500. They are really nicely made and work great. My only complaint is that they turn counterclockwise to unlock which I find a little awkward.

My goals for the most part are to have fun and compete with it. In that order.

I've always chose the "different" way to do things and therefore want to use my new Mod 29-10.

I've owned and shot a .44 mag since I became old enough to purchase a pistol, I'm mid 50's now.

That being said, I have hundreds of .44 cases to reload and play with so it's cheaper for me to use this caliber.

Besides, who doesn't love seeing "Harry Callahan's" gun going through the paces? :)

I'm thinking you could do just fine with a M29/629. I would strongly consider using .44 Spec brass - quicker in/out, and more positive ejection.

For USPSA and ICORE Limited, moon clips are definitely the way to go.

For ICORE Classic, speedloaders are required.

For the latter, I have a dilemma. I have a M24-3 .44 Spec I would like to try using in ICORE Classic. The problem is, apparently there are no competition speedloaders available for it. Safariland Comp III? No. SL Variant? Reputed to be among the best, but haven't been available for a long time, and no relief in sight.

HKS and 5 Star speedloaders are available.

I always considered HKS to be "low end" (and wore out quickly on me).

Having said that, anyone here shoot a .44 in USPSA or ICORE using speedloaders? Recommendations?

I would also like to know the answers to your questions.

I'm curious about having my cylinder cut for moonies too.

What does it entail?

I've said this before in other threads. I think it would be really fun to have a 'Dirty Harry' division where you have to shoot a magnum revolver, strong hand only, all hits are Alphas, one shot neutralizes the target. This would be especially fun in three gun matches, using the one gun. You could walk up as close to rifle targets as you needed to. And you can only walk. I don't believe the movie version of Harry Callahan ever needed to run.

If you run out of ammo you just ask the target if it feels lucky.

Fiddler, there is some reenactment style format in the same vein as Cowboy Action shooting that focuses on the roaring 20s (and the time period roughly before and after then), I think they're called Zoot Shoots. Handguns are shot one handed and I think one Alpha on a USPSA target is all that's required.

I'm bringing 45LC for the steel, I'll just do a "loaded cylinder" reload - It's not like I'm going to win ESR anyways :) Only matches this weekend are a classifier and a 6 stage match - I'll wait for a club fo have a 4 stage day and I'll do it them.

I had my 29 cut for moonclips. Use 44 Russian and 240 gr Bear Creek round nose bullets. I'm about as fast with that as with a 625. For classic/retro division, I really prefer my K frame.

Btw, thanks pskys2 for all your help getting me started with the 29. :)