Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Nationals

FF423

How many points do you think one will need to make the first cut for nationals? I've heard stories in the past of people with one or two points getting in. That may have been from the random draw but what do you think the magic number will be this year?

Interesting question. Shooting all stages in one day can be a beat down, so hoping my son and my points sufficient for two half days. Think we had 6/7 points respectively but doubt that will be enough.

How many points are typical?

Last year I got in with 4 off the first cut. With the change in point systems I bet your 6 is a good number. I know people who applied with two this year. I also know people who made the mistake of sending their app in early, thus going in the reject pile and still got in.

I'm new to IDPA and I'm not familiar with what you are talking about. For example, next year for the Smith & Wesson indoor nationals, do you have to qualify in some type of point scale before you can be considered to compete??

I'm real excited to make a goal for myself...to be able to attend that match and actually not suck.

Edit: I found another thread that mentioned something about it. I think I understand it as, you have to compete at a sanctioned match in order to get points. And in order to attend Nationals, you have to have so many points to get in. Where do I find more info on this point scale? Is it true that only last years points count for this year?

Edited by airforceblue7032

Go to the IDPA website and look for the application - it describes the points. The rules section also describe match levels.

I beleive the cut off date is may 31 of this year. So any matches you shoot this summer or fall count towards next years nationals.

There's such a wide opinion here...some say 5, some say much higher than that. My goal is to apply to attend the S&W Indoor Nationals next year. With the sanctioned matched located close to me, I'll only be able to hit two matches. Only issue is I don't know if they will be Tier 1 or 2 matches, thus I don't know if I will get 2, 3 or 4 points total.

I guess, I'll apply regardless and let the chips fall where they may. I probably shouldn't attend a National match without several sanctioned matches under my belt anyways.

indoor nationals is almost impossible to get into if you haven't shot it before..... or at least that was my experience. i tried to enter the indoor nationals 2 minutes after the chance became available for someone who hadn't been in before and that had me 86th on the waiting list.

airforceblue, the waiting list actually came down to that level. up the the 87th person off the list was offered a spot to the indoor nationals. the regular outdoor nationals is something different. (as you know)

I had five and made it in. Of course I get to choose my day/squad last. I'm hoping to do the all day Thursday squad as it fits my schedule better. Anyone know if that goes quick or does it usually fill up last?

I shot Thursday one year and liked it and had no trouble getting in. last year did the Sat PM and Sun AM worked out better for travel for me.. It is really a good flat range to shoot at, but it is a long laid out range. Last year they had hay wagons carrying shooters back and forth.

The all day Thursday are usually the last to be picked. There are pros and cons for shooting on Thursday but the biggest factor will be what the weather is on that day and no one can predict what the conditions will be that far out anyway.