Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS 1911 Slide Lock Reloads Compared To Glock

PEC-Memphis

I'm trying to transition from a G17/34 to a STI Trojan for IDPA/USPSA after shooting the Glocks for 6+ years.

Even with small hands, where I have to "flip" the gun "sideways" to hit the magazine catch, my SLRs are +/- 1s with a G17 or G34. I allow my thumb to rest on the slide stop and the action of the magazine seating pushes the gun "Up" while the thumb stays in the same poision, dropping the slide.

I've been practicing SLRs with the SS 1911. I drop the slide with the support hand thumb as the gun is moving to the target, which causes a sight lift as I'm acquiring the sight picture. (For the 17/34, since the slide was dropped well before the sight acquistion, there isn't the sight lift from dropping the slide later).

My good SLRs on the 1911 still aren't close to as fast as an "average" G17/34 reload, and the bad ones feel like they should be timed with a sundial.

The 17/34 seems to lend itself (ergonimocally) to fast SLRs (and reloads in general, at least for right handers) - the large, loose, plastic slick, magazine well is a lot easier to "hit" than a narrow 1911 single stack, and the position of the slide stop allows the "non-reloading" hand to drop the slide. unlike the 1911.

So here the question, can I reasonably expect SLRs to be as fast with a single-stack 1911 as with a G17/34? Particularlly for people who have transitioned from the Glock to the 1911, how much repition did it take to become proficient with SLRs on the 1911 and did you ever get as fast compared to a Glock?

Edited by PEC-Memphis

I shoot USPSA which I understand is a completely different beast than IDPA. In USPSA you aren't required to ever go to slidelock and in fact I plan my single/stack stages so that I do NOT go to slidelock if possible.

I didn't set my STI Trojan up in any particular way to do this, but if I get a good magazine change, the act of inserting the magazine usually releases the slide when the magazine is fully inserted sort of automatically. This happens probably 95 out of 100 times.

I realize that it doesn't answer your question about the best way to perform SLR, but i'm just trying to point out that in USPSA it should not be something you run into very often.

In single stack major, it can happen more often than you think. 8 rds. goes pretty quick. You don't want to go to slide lock if it can be helped, but you are competing with other SS shooters who have to deal with the same stage design. You can't really compare a Glock to a 1911. It's like saying why cant I reload my revolver as fast as my open gun? Cause they are different. Try different techniques (sling shot the slide, shift your grip & get it with your thumb, weak hand thumb, etc.). Find something that is consistent & practice it. That's all you can do. I don't think extended slide stops are legal, but am not sure. They have their own problems with coming up when you don't want them to.

When it comes to getting to the mag catch I was going to go to an extended model for my Colt. But when I saw some of the new Mag Pull 1911 grips with the extreme cut out for the thumb I thought I would give them a try, for less than $20.00 not much to lose. I have found they work great when it comes to getting to the mag release. Haven't gone to an extended mag button yet. Brownells as them.

You can't really compare a Glock to a 1911. It's like saying why cant I reload my revolver as fast as my open gun? Cause they are different.

OPENB is correct, it's apples and oranges. Also, as mentioned earlier, this should not be an issue with USPSA SS (if your stage planning and execution is good). This should only be an IDPA reload, right.

I also, have decided to start shooting a 1911 this year for the first time ever after switching from M&P Pro and Glock 34. It does seem like it takes FOREVER to make a SLR. I also installed a TGO magwell and a 10-8 Gen2 slide stop to help me. With my Glock, reloads were a cinch, just like you mentioned. With my M&P Pro, 90% of them were even easier than my Glock because the slide almost always fell forward on the insertion of the new magazine. I mentioned 90%... the other 10% of the time the slide did not fall and I had to remember to release the slide stop just like a 1911 (which takes time to "think" about it) the other part of the 10% is when I slammed the magazine in to hard, the slide would ride over the top of the bullet and not feed a round. That's primarily the reason why I switched to the Glock 34.

I recommend a lot of practice at home with snap caps. Also, I haven't spoken to my gunsmith yet, but I would venture to say that he might could "tune" my 1911 to release the slide when the magazine is bumped into postion. Sometimes my 1911 will do this, but only like 5% of the time.

There is a reason why many ESP championships have been won by a Glock, they are easier to reload. However, I have noticed a rising trend of 2011 shooters taking the top spots in the ESP Championship ranks, they are even easier to reload as far as the insertion of the magazine is concerned, but still have the issue of releasing the slide of a 1911.

I plan my stages so I don't have a slide lock. But in the event where my plan goes out the window when the buzzer goes off (happens a lot), I revert back to my LE training and grab over the top of the slide with my weak hand.

So here the question, can I reasonably expect SLRs to be as fast with a single-stack 1911 as with a G17/34? Particularlly for people who have transitioned from the Glock to the 1911, how much repition did it take to become proficient with SLRs on the 1911 and did you ever get as fast compared to a Glock?

can you add a magwell onto the bottom of the 1911 or is that not allowed?

I used a different technique on the SS 1911 reload compared to an auto with a tapered (double stack) magazine. You rotate the bottom of the grip of the 1911 up until you can see straight in the opening and put two fingers on the front and back of the magazine as you WATCH it go in. With a typical double stack gun, I don't even rotate the grip. I just stuff it in "blind" from below without seeing the mag opening.

To answer:

"can I reasonably expect SLRs to be as fast with a single-stack 1911 as with a G17/34?"

I think yes if you work on it enough. I saw a reload by Rob Leatham on a SS 1911 that was perfect and fast so it is doable. I think you need a more careful technique, more focus and more precision.

Edited by bountyhunter

I guess I am more interested in identifying a standard or goal time for my reloads. Then I can work out the ergonomics of how to make it faster.

I put a stopwatch on the video that came with my Para 1640 that was being fired by Todd jarret and the time between shots on target (with a reload in between) was around one second flat. That is a double stack 1911.

i saw a video on youtube - no timer but tomasie (spelling?) - it looks like a 1911 but cant tell if it is wide body or single stack....fastest reload i have ever seen! I think if you search fastest 1911 reload or something you can find it.....

I plan my stages so I don't have a slide lock.

I shoot in a speed league where the ( ) running it REQUIRE that the reloads be done empty with slide locked back to make sure nobody is "manipulating" a loaded gun. Their league, their rules.

I plan my stages so I don't have a slide lock.

I shoot in a speed league where the ( ) running it REQUIRE that the reloads be done empty with slide locked back to make sure nobody is "manipulating" a loaded gun. Their league, their rules.

I just shoot USPSA. I recently put a Wilson speed chute on my Springfield. Haven't tried in on the timer yet but it feels easier to hit the magwell going faster.

my slide lock reloads are 1.5s with my 1911 when I hit them properly. never have any issue disengaging the slide, my support hand thumb goes straight to it then rolls forward into my grip, happens immediately after my mag hits home.

I find the main thing that effects my reload time is making sure I grab the mag properly

Speed reloads are easy. Your video is not a slide lock reload. ....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

And it is a double stack with a large magwell. Yes it is smooth and fast though.

Now - he is definitely not set up for IDPA. Haha. But he has the gun back on target before the mag even hits the floor. That's ridiculous

I've done speed loads with a G34 while advancing and have a shot on target about the time the magazine hit the ground - not every time but some of the time. A SLR with a SS and no/small magwell is different.