Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

compensator advice for ar

Zeaken

I recently finished my light weight 5lb 9oz build (including optics) and I put a battle comp on it and its still tending to rise up and to the right when I shoot it. I am guessing the light weight plays against me a bit over a normal heavier gun. I am trying to find a replacement comp that can do the job a bit better then the battle comp for a light weight build. The catch is I am also looking to keep the comp light to keep the overall weight down still as at the end of the muzzle is where you feel it the most.

I was considering the ares effin a mkII, have any of you tried it? I like the idea of a tunable comp and they seem to do pretty well but i have never seen anyone using it in a 3g application.

Do you guys have any other suggestions for a lighter comp?

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/products/v7-muzzle-brake

I think this is what you are looking for.

Can't say much for the comp design.....not fond of vertical ports like that (just my personal opinion).....HOWEVER......looking at their other parts....HMMMMMM :rolleyes: .

Ti Gas Block.....NICE

Forged upper with no FA or dust cover and a little meat cut off the top......NICE

Stuff for light weight builds!!!

That being said......Carbon Arms has nice light wt comp and of course, I've got mention ours too....it's supper light.

On the other hand....lots been said about comps in the forum....do a search and sort out the heavy ones, you'll find a few that float to the top!!

Tim

Can't say much for the comp design.....not fond of vertical ports like that (just my personal opinion).....HOWEVER......looking at their other parts....HMMMMMM :rolleyes: .

Ti Gas Block.....NICE

Forged upper with no FA or dust cover and a little meat cut off the top......NICE

That being said......Carbon Arms has nice light wt comp and of course, I've got mention ours too....it's supper light.

On the other hand....lots been said about comps in the forum....do a search and sort out the heavy ones, you'll find a few that float to the top!!

Tim

I thought yours was only for .22 for all your comps. I actually just picked up your buffer system and cant wait to try it out with my lmos. how much does your lwc .625 comp weigh in at?

v7 does also make some nice stuff. If i was attempting to break the 4lb barrier without sbr it would certainly use a lot of their parts.

Edited by Zeaken

sjc titan is very effective.

edited to add.....

May not be the lightest but should be a good compromise IMO.

That's one of the heaviest comps out there at something like 5.75 oz.

I have the Carbon Arms/DR brake on a backup rifle that'll eventually move to my lightweight limited build this fall. Works very well and weighs 2.4 oz.

Ti Gas Block.....NICE

Tim

I thought yours was only for .22 for all your comps. I actually just picked up your buffer system and cant wait to try it out with my lmos. how much does your lwc .625 comp weigh in at?

v7 does also make some nice stuff. If i was attempting to break the 4lb barrier without sbr it would certainly use a lot of their parts.

The .625 LWC weighs 1 ounce.....yeah it's light.

The Dynamic Resistance is short and light and a pretty good flash supressor too. The PRI Quiet Comp would be my next choice for a light weight brake. The other two parts of the puzzle are rifle set up and... You.

Low mass reduces the pop to your shoulder, but low mass only really works with adjustable gas. The two together really helps make the muzzle movement more friendly. Ultimately, you are the interface. The high right climb comes from you letting the rifle move around your mass. Before spending money on another brake, take your rifle back the range. You can eliminate the high right climb through technique. The muzzle will dance around the center of the target, but you should be able work out the climb. Play around with the rifle in different spots in your pocket. Use your frame and muscles to give the rifle a solid foundation to push against. Your support hand is there for more than just holding up the rifle. Use your support hand to drive the muzzle. You get that figured out and you can pick whichever brake looks the best on your meat grinder cuz they will all work great.

thanks for the advice co-exprs, i do run an adjustable block and i will be testing out the new innards with the current comp before i upgrade to see if those make the difference. I will also trying working on my technique a bit more as i am new working with rifles in this sense.

That is an incredibly light brake taccom, that is now on my short list of comps i may switch out to as that could save me another ounce over the battle comp!

I understand the SJC is a really good brake and have heard lots of good things but it is a bit heavier then i was looking to do. I would say about 3oz is my limit of what i am looking to keep it at.

If anyone has used the effin a i am still looking for some advice on that one as well. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

I recently finished my light weight 5lb 9oz build (including optics) and I put a battle comp on it and its still tending to rise up and to the right when I shoot it. I am guessing the light weight plays against me a bit over a normal heavier gun. I am trying to find a replacement comp that can do the job a bit better then the battle comp for a light weight build. The catch is I am also looking to keep the comp light to keep the overall weight down still as at the end of the muzzle is where you feel it the most.

I was considering the ares effin a mkII, have any of you tried it? I like the idea of a tunable comp and they seem to do pretty well but i have never seen anyone using it in a 3g application.

Do you guys have any other suggestions for a lighter comp?

Interesting that your Battle Comp had muzzle rise. I had a 6.5 lb gun (16" mid-length loaded with optic) getting severe muzzle dip with a BC 1.0. Not as noticeable on guns 7.5 pounds+. In my experience (and common sense), the lighter the gun the more influence the muzzle device can have over the movement of the muzzle. I shy away from aggressive vertical ports on light guns.

I think the Ares effin a MkII would get you where you want to go since it is tuneable. Just alot of tinkering.

a little update for you guys which i switched out to a jp lmos bcg and taccom buffer and redialed my gas system it actually removed all vertical climb but it still shifts a little to the right.

I think that the increased percentage of weight moving in the lighter rifle led to heavier recoil impulse and these parts countered that and reduced the percentage back down which in turn fixed the jump.

She still pulls a little to the right but i will see if i can tweak the alignment of the comp to fix that.

Edited by Zeaken

Rotate your current comp to between 1 and 2 o'clock. if you are getting no vertical, your gas volume is about perfect. It is moving right because it is off center of your body mass. Rotating the comp to neutralize this should be the ticket. My Miculek comp is clocked to about 1, but my rifle out-weighs yours by over a pound, so I don't need as effective a brake, or as much re-direction. Minor adjustments make a BIG difference on left/ right, so you may overshoot and have to bring it back.

Well a really small comp, and light weight is the Rainier Mini Comp.... Here it is next to their XTC comp (about A2 birdcage, maybe a little bigger)

Fairly effective, really light and really small, just saying OMG is this thing loud! Even more so on shorter barrels. It is setup for a righty as you can see... Also the DNA collection device at the end shreds your bags, legs, quad seats, and just about everything else that it touches... yeah they're pointy

9680988915_402b85c6e0_b.jpg

Edited by mulrick