Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Louisiana Gator Classic Applications

I guess I was lucky, I get up before 6 every morning, just from habit. Steph said that registration would open up after the MS Classic, so I have been checking everytime first thing when I get up. Sent a heads up to my friends when I registered and I think most of them got in. Luck of the draw. You can't please everyone.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said anything about a conspiracy, just that it was a crappy move to open registration in the early morning on a National holiday. Nothing can be said to change that. I think many would agree.

I very much agree!!

It also seems that one person could register several of his buddies in the blink of an eye. I hope this wasn't the case. Maybe there was some form of protection to prevent that from taking place.

ok, 200 slots. Looks like the powers that be need to see if they can make it a little bigger. I did not make it and I did not even get not he waiting list. I was up but I went out back to work in the yard and I missed out. I too would like to know if there was any safeguards to keep people from registering several of their friends and how may slots were actually open minus the sponsors and other slots that are given out.

I know it would have filled up quickly regardless of the day or time registration opened, that's not the point. All I'm saying is it's a holiday weekend, and very early. You completely shut out a lot of shooters from having an opportunity to register, which is pretty disappointing for a major match.

So the 200 people that registered aren't shooters?

I know it would have filled up quickly regardless of the day or time registration opened, that's not the point. All I'm saying is it's a holiday weekend, and very early. You completely shut out a lot of shooters from having an opportunity to register, which is pretty disappointing for a major match.

So the 200 people that registered aren't shooters?

The 200 that got in are shooters indeed, and some very good ones at that. There are other shooters out there though who didn't have a chance to get in due to the way registration was handled. It's just my opinion. If the date and time registration was opening had been announced ahead of time, I wouldn't have one thing to say.

The range where the Gator is held limited the number of shooters, not the match. I think that the 200 were in addition to the RO's. Sponsors were probably in there. If you want to be a sponsor, I'm sure they could find a place for you.

I am sure that the match personnel would love to hear your suggestions as to a better way to handle sign up for a match like this. I have been a part of online registration where everybody knew the date and time and all it accomplished was the crashing of the site's server. Mailing them in relies on the postal service to make sure everything gets there in a timely manner,

Only suggestion I would make is that previous attendees get preferential treatment, like at RM3Gun. Possibly even based upon the number of years that you have attended.

Whining about how registration was done will fix nothing. If anyone has a better system, by all means, contact Stephanie or Kevin or Gary or Barbara. They are very receptive to good ideas.

The online registration took a lot of the burden off Steph and her mail carrier. Also folks aren't sitting around wondering if their app made it in on time and whether or not their check will be cashed or not.

I managed to get in only because friends kept texting me, saying registration was open. It was only after about the sixth text that I finally checked to see what was up and quickly registered. Gotta love smart phones.

A lottery system is about the only way to increase the fairness factor. Give everyone a few days to register online, then pull names randomly to fill the slots, but even that system will still upset folks and be a headache to administer.

I know the folks running the match and I have absolutely no doubts that they tried to make registration as fair as possible.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Since we're all obviously impartial... and folks that made it in would never be biased in their opinion of how registration went down... I guess it comes down to your opinion of "fair," or what a Sectional/State Match should be.

This match is popular, just like its cousin match in MS. That speaks highly of it as a whole-- the administrators especially, as I know they put in a TON of work throughout the entire year to make it happen.

Area 1 is apparently just as popular, from what I've seen for the past two years. And they favor shooters from their Area over those looking to travel, by way of a "A1 only" registration period-- after which the rest of the hopefuls get a crack at the remaining slots.

This is the third year in a row that registration for the Gator has been closed impressively soon after it was opened, and all slots filled. It gets to be a shorter and shorter window every year-- no doubt exacerbated this time by the online (without payment) option. What that says to me is that it's time to consider what's really important-- being "fair" to the folks who are invested in the State, the local clubs involved in the match, and the match itself... or "fair" to everyone (who is awake at 6AM on a holiday with access to a computer).

Best guess, we have 80 local shooters that are at least semi-regular at one or more of our local clubs. I'd say there's another 50 or so in MS that spill over into that category. That's a generous estimation-- and we'll be even more generous in saying that roughly 90% of them want (and are able) to shoot the Gator. For ease of math, call it 115 folks.

Quite literally, 95% of the people who will RO this match (or work it otherwise) will also come from that group. So you can call it an outright maximum of 75 people that would be getting "preferential treatment" in terms competitor (non-staff) slots. (I'd say something like 50 would be a more accurate guess.) That's 125-150 slots left up for grabs.

I'm not sure how the maximum number of shooters is determined. If Ricky truly limits the number, that leaves us in a pickle for sure. If it's based on shooters per squad, per stage... Well. There's more bays there, and though I know props and walls and such are limited (and set up teams are overtaxed already)... I think we'd all be just fine with having 3 or 4 more Speed Shoots or Standards thrown in if it meant not leaving folks out in the cold.

I personally don't think that a Sectional match should exclude people from said Section, within reasonable time limits. I don't think that someone who has shot this match for several years in a row should be left out, either. I think that all L2+ matches, regardless of popularity, should award a guaranteed slot (not paid-- just reserved) for all recognized Class winners, without question. In the future, I think one or all of those considerations should be made-- though never at the cost of letting new people shoot the match. (Though I think the numbers I provided earlier illustrate that it wouldn't be an issue.)

I'm genuinely glad that a lot of people in this thread made it in-- you're certainly representative of the type of people that I think "deserve" a slot. I don't see why there should be hostility aimed at others like you, who were not so fortunate. (Because it was simply good fortune-- no malicious intent or favoritism.)

Who gives a crap what time registration opened? It doesn't matter.

Open it at midnight, 3am, 7am, 3pm. It fills up regardless. Period. It sells out in the exact same time, if not even faster.

I'd venture to guess I'm as close as you can get to both the MD and the sweet woman whose ass you're all reaming because of what time she opened registration and I can tell you without a hint of hesitation that NO ONE knew what time registration was opening.

All of you that are insinuating something nefarious based on the time registration opened should be ashamed of yourselves.

FYI, if I wasn't ROing the match I wouldn't have made it either because it was sold out well before I woke up.

Edited by spanky

I normally do not like to chime in on post where people are being retarded in their thought process but, Yeah I am tired of the people who think they are “owed” a spot, or bitch about the time of the registration opening. Last year we had roughly 210 shooter on Saturday / Sunday. We shot from sun up to sun down. It is impossible to put any more shooter in squads and make it in the period we had. I run a stage every year. My week starts on the Tuesday before the match and does not stop until the Sunday night when I get back home.

I spoke to both the MD and Steph on Sunday and neither one mentioned anything to my about the opening of the match the following morning.

Therefore, this is enough about the winning and bitching about the match or registration format. All I can tell you is, suck it up and wait for next year.

Also as far as safeguards and the potential for one person registering multipliable people at the same time, tell me how you would be able to register only one person from an IP address. I have three shooters in the house. So only one of us will be able to shoot in our household? On the other hand, do I need to go and knock on two of my neighbors’ door to borrow their WiFi? This is no different from one person mailing in three apps.

Who gives a crap what time registration opened? It doesn't matter.

Open it at midnight, 3am, 7am, 3pm. It fills up regardless. Period. It sells out in the exact same time, if not even faster.

I'd venture to guess I'm as close as you can get to both the MD and the sweet woman whose ass you're all reaming because of what time she opened registration and I can tell you without a hint of hesitation that NO ONE knew what time registration was opening.

All of you that are insinuating something nefarious based on the time registration opened should be ashamed of yourselves.

FYI, if I wasn't ROing the match I wouldn't have made it either because it was sold out well before I woke up.

I agree totally! Lets stop this foolishness...

Edited by pbosik

Also as far as safeguards and the potential for one person registering multipliable people at the same time, tell me how you would be able to register only one person from an IP address. I have three shooters in the house. So only one of us will be able to shoot in our household? On the other hand, do I need to go and knock on two of my neighbors’ door to borrow their WiFi? This is no different from one person mailing in three apps.

I can think of several ways, actually-- most of which don't require IP snooping at all.

That said, even if a lot of people were clever enough to sign up their buddies this time around (and I highly doubt it)-- they technically didn't do anything wrong. Just like gaming a stage, when the designer, RM and ground crew don't see it and put up physical or at least verbal methods of preventing it, it's all gravy.

I do have to ask, for the sake of the Wait Listers watching this thread wondering how likely they are to get a slot-- since you and M. will work the match, only J. will need a competitor slot. Did you sign up all 3 of your shooters in the general registration? Did a lot of other people who will end up with Staff slots?