Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Same practice CoF over and over?

Moltke

Does anyone here practice the same course of fire over and over and over regularly?

I know most people practice short shooting drills over and over such as the dot drill, or a plate rack, or transitions across a few IPSC's, or the box drill, or classifiers, etc.

But at what point do you try to elongate the period of time spent in a continuous live fire string? And to what benefit?

Edited by Moltke

Don't see too much benefit to doing the same CoF over and ove again since you'll never see that exact setup in a match. If you are going to setup short CoFs I would use them to work on specific skills you'll need in a match ... You could deign a couple of CoFs that string together several different individual skill sets and the rotate through them on some regular basis to work all the skills you'll need ...

Don't see too much benefit to doing the same CoF over and ove again since you'll never see that exact setup in a match. If you are going to setup short CoFs I would use them to work on specific skills you'll need in a match ... You could deign a couple of CoFs that string together several different individual skill sets and the rotate through them on some regular basis to work all the skills you'll need ...

Good advice.

In this way, you would have several different drills and you could log your gains over time. It's important that you set them up exactly the same each time (like a classifier is set up).

I tend to set up practice COFs to incorporate as many elements that would be encountered in a match as possible. It allows you to practice transitions for each and simulates a more difficult stage setup.

There are some really good threads about practice and learning on BE.

Depending on your skill level, different methods are used.

I remember a GM telling me he spends less time on live fire and more time on footwork.

Beginners usually should spend more time on the fundamentals, whereas b/c shooters spend time on transitions combined with movement.

I think Travis T. once said, speed is most important, he could teach accuracy.

Personally, I have no value in practicing the same COF over and over again. If this is your preferred method, then I would advise recording your splits and transitions for each run. These comparisons might let you know what you need to improve. Just looking at the final time adds very little value to your learning process-IMO.

Edited by pjb45

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm so not many OK

Last year I practiced the same short course of fire over and over, it got me good at things I sucked at.

This year I'm planning on doing the same thing but for 3 Gun forcing me to do the things i suck at.

Thanks guys

I think it works better for 3 gun than other disciplines. Mainly because of the different challenges you face in a match.

I set up both shooting on the move with all 3 guns as well as standing transitions in the same stage. Options are endless when you have the right targets and props.

But at what point do you try to elongate the period of time spent in a continuous live fire string? And to what benefit?

Please explain what you mean by elongating live fire strings.

I practice a similar set up often. Target at 7,15,25. It works draw, transitions, splits and accuracy. I do a few runs on open targets, then add no shoots and work on keeping the same speed and accuracy

Does anyone here practice the same course of fire over and over and over regularly?

Scrambler and the Dot drill, both from Manny are both drills I do everytime.

As for a COF, yes, I do them over and over too. Part of it is metrics. My metrics change some over time, so I have to look at them again and re-evaluate each match course of fire based on my metrics. The other part is footwork and forcing myself to increase speed while keeping track of the points changes.

The last match I just shot really pointed out some flaws in my metrics/speed due to targets I had not shot much, if at all. After 4 or 5 stages (within the match) I had figured out my speed and cadence, but it was too late. Won't be giving that donation again.