Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer recycling

tires2burn

Not sure if I'm in the right place but figured this forum is very busy and I might get a quick answer. I have 2 gallons of spent primers. Can I recycle them for cold hard cash? They aren't magnetic so maybe brass or ?

I may be wrong but I believe they're made of the same material as the cases themselves. There are zillions of spent primers in my scrap brass bin and the scrapyard takes them without hesitation.

Mark

Not any type of scientist whatsoever

• 2 weeks later...

Took mine and the less than reusable brass to my scrap guy. He asked if i wanted cash, OR to browse through the 2 boxes of 1 lb containers of powder someone dropped off :goof:

Edited by cjim

• 2 weeks later...

Why would someone have left smokeless powder with a metal recycler?

If you dump primers directly from the catch cup into whatever container you accumulate them in, do you do anything to remove all the primer crud before taking them to the recycler?

Same here... All my scrap brass and primers go into coffee cans and from there to the recycler. Only problem is, I never get any money for them! The wife feels that it should be her money since she is the one who took it in. Can't complain too much since she doesn't complain about the prices of components.

MAN! Never knew you can get cash for spent primers! I'm saving mine from now on!

It pays to call around for the best price being paid for scrap. I called 4 places and lead acid batteries went from $.10/# up to $.25/#. Brass prices were similar and some places will give you a lot less if there are any nickle plated cases mixed in with your scrap brass.

If you dump primers directly from the catch cup into whatever container you accumulate them in, do you do anything to remove all the primer crud before taking them to the recycler?

He's the local go to place since 1915. People have items they're not sure where to dispose them. He's the guy. The original drop off was 120+ lbs of powder in 1 - 4 lb containers. Their scrap metal area is a treasure trove when you want to keep steel below $0.10 per foot.Most of the time he sells by market prices.

I dropped of a 5 gal bucket of primers & brass, came home with 5lbs of unique, 2 - bullseye and 2 lbs - 748. Had to beat him up on the 748 as 1 of them had been opened.

He's the local go to place since 1915. People have items they're not sure where to dispose them. He's the guy. The original drop off was 120+ lbs of powder in 1 - 4 lb containers. Their scrap metal area is a treasure trove when you want to keep steel below $0.10 per foot.Most of the time he sells by market prices.

I dropped of a 5 gal bucket of primers & brass, came home with 5lbs of unique, 2 - bullseye and 2 lbs - 748. Had to beat him up on the 748 as 1 of them had been opened.

WHAT!? That is awesome!!

I've always wondered if anyone ever drops off usable brass at the scrap yard, curious if it's worth a call.