Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Boomfab Titane Titanium Bolt Carrier

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's a good question....I'd think that it would be so overgassed that you'd most likely get a lot of recoil impulse due to the high speed of the carrier and hence...lose any benefit of the light carrier.

I haven't tried it in a non adjustable gas gun. JP carriers work fine with full gas. The JP with full gas are softer than a full mass carrier w/full gas. Longevity would be my concern but that concern maybe unwarranted since I've not tested with full gas.

I'm not sure why you would want one without adjustable gas though? The reason to spend the extra $ over JP for competition use is to tune the rifle as soft as possible. Why not pay the $100 for an adjustable gas block too?

I know some guys don't like fussing with the gas tuning but it's not that difficult.

I'm running rifle length gas so I'm torn between snagging the JP low mass buffer & spring or if I should go ahead and snag the JP Silent captured spring and spring pack instead.

I assume you mean a rifle length buffer tube?

Put a spacer in your rifle length stock and run a Carbine spring and buffer.

yes correct Mark...brain fart on my behalf. yes I'm running a rifle length buffer....I decided to go with a JP rifle length low mass buffer/spring paired up with a Boomfab. got it all tuned up yesterday and it's really sweet! once JP comes out with the second lighter weight spring pack for the captured silent buffer I'm going to pick up one of those and try it out with the boomfab carrier.

• 1 month later...

What is the surface treatment like on the boomfab BCG compared to the JP with the QPQ finish? The JP feel like it rides on ball bearing in an upper compared with a standard bolt carrier. Just wondering how the boomfab piece feels in comparison to the JP.

What is the surface treatment like on the boomfab BCG compared to the JP with the QPQ finish? The JP feel like it rides on ball bearing in an upper compared with a standard bolt carrier. Just wondering how the boomfab piece feels in comparison to the JP.

It's pretty slick. I didn't notice any difference compared to my JP parts in that respect.

D6F8412D-B1D4-426A-8131-BFDBD463602F_zps

• 8 months later...

They list it as 7.8 oz I'm guessign thats just the carrier and not the entire BGC.

That's one heavy Ti carrier at 7.8 oz.. Jp,s LMOS steel carrier is 6.3 oz.. The old JP aluminum carrier was 3.7 oz..

Yeah it's the full carrier profile, nothing wittled away to lighten it further.

They list it as 7.8 oz I'm guessign thats just the carrier and not the entire BGC.

That's one heavy Ti carrier at 7.8 oz.. Jp,s LMOS steel carrier is 6.3 oz.. The old JP aluminum carrier was 3.7 oz..

I bought one of those full profile Ti carriers just to see whats up.

F834E775-8FBB-4C8A-8EA9-1E7B5931FA1A_zps

JPEnterprisesLowMassCarrier_zps04b41add.

A06E9ACD-F007-4B5D-8D1F-34C8346DF5EC_zps

58066182-750C-4A3F-9B19-B40B4298A5B6_zps

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

The new JP Ultra LMOS is 3.76oz

Yeah that's light. I heard its disposable though. Like 5,000 rounds? Any longevity testing anyone?
The instructions mention that it could ware out in as little as 10K rounds but some of the original ones have exceeded that lifespan. Also, if you are a 1 to 2k a year AR shooter like me then that's not too bad. The instructions also say to run it wet so I at coating it with liberal amounts of Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil. Edited by alma

So my question now is... when is someone going to manufacture an aluminum carrier with NiB coating?

You can coat a receiver, why not an aluminum carrier? I guessing an NiB coated upper and NiB coated Aluminum carrier combo would make for a pretty long service life.

I've recently come to realize big sponsor shooters are a lot like any pro racing team, you can run your gear as hard and abusive as you want because next season you'll be in all new redesigned machinery.

I'm not knocking factory sponsored shooters by any means. The latest and greatest gear they get to abuse and test and push to its limits this year trickles down eventually to the more casual shooter in better gear at a better price.

Remember when NiB coated anything was $400 plus retail? Now I can get a quality NiB BCG for $99. Ain't Capitalism great?

I think the next logical step is an NiB coated Aluminum BCG. B)

You're welcome. IM me for info on where to send my checks. :D Next we'll hear Benelli is going head to head with JP Enterprises to build the next level 3 Gun AR. :devil:

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this site and just happened to come across your discussion while researching information reference lightweight BCG and Buffer Systems. Your comments seem to be very interesting and I would like to inquire the assistance of some of you that have much more knowledge about this area.

I'm working on a lightweight AR15 Pistol 5.56 until I can get my tax stamp for the SBR. I'm mainly wanting to get it setup to compete within my dept and surrounding agencies, and I'm trying to keep weight down to a minimum. Though 5.56/223 really does not have much recoil, I"m attempting to lower the recoil to a minimum to help with followup shots and so forth. I have pretty much everything I need to build my pistol except the BCG and Buffer/Spring (though I currently have JP SCS but within window of being able to return it if needed).

Here is a list of some of the parts I have that may help in providing suggestions or answers to my questions:

10.5" Noveske barrel that I currently own.

Carbine Buffer Tube

SLR Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block.

JP - Silent Capture Spring (Still within window to return if needed).

Ammo used mostly is 55gr and 62gr.

1) If I purchase the Boomfab BCG.... Will this work with the JP SCS system being that I'll be using a 10.5 barrel? JP Enterprises claims it will be just fine, but wanted to get input from users.

2) Is there a better buffer system setup for a Lightweight BCG that I can use on a 10.5" barrel? I noticed the mention of Taccom in the conversations and this would probably help me reduce additional weight.

3) As an alternative to Boomfab.... Anyone have any experience with the Red X Arms or know of anyone using it that can speak for it.... http://shop.redxarms.com/RED-X-ARMS-TITANIUM-M16-STYLE-BOLT-CARRIER-GROUP-223-556-TITANIUMBCG.htm or can you recommend any other lightweight complete BCG setup. I was hoping to stay within the $350.00 range for the BCG... but if worse came to worse and I needed to scrape up some extra cash then so be it, but I would appreciate any suggestions. If you do recommend any other lightweight BCG, can you link a review to it or feedback on it as to why you recommend it. Kind of like the Red x arms... I've tried to find reviews online and not finding any other than links from people stating its an option for a lightweight bcg made of titanium but no feedback from any user.

Eventually I would like to build a 2nd upper and use the same setup BCG/BUFFER system with a longer barrel for 3Gun matches at the local Sportsman's Club.

Thank you so much in advance, and hope some of you could chime in with assistance.

Best Regards,

Mike

Edited by SpanishCop

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this site and just happened to come across your discussion while researching information reference lightweight BCG and Buffer Systems. Your comments seem to be very interesting and I would like to inquire the assistance of some of you that have much more knowledge about this area.

I'm working on a lightweight AR15 Pistol 5.56 until I can get my tax stamp for the SBR. I'm mainly wanting to get it setup to compete within my dept and surrounding agencies, and I'm trying to keep weight down to a minimum. Though 5.56/223 really does not have much recoil, I"m attempting to lower the recoil to a minimum to help with followup shots and so forth. I have pretty much everything I need to build my pistol except the BCG and Buffer/Spring (though I currently have JP SCS but within window of being able to return it if needed).

Here is a list of some of the parts I have that may help in providing suggestions or answers to my questions:

10.5" Noveske barrel that I currently own.

Carbine Buffer Tube

SLR Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block.

JP - Silent Capture Spring (Still within window to return if needed).

Ammo used mostly is 55gr and 62gr.

1) If I purchase the Boomfab BCG.... Will this work with the JP SCS system being that I'll be using a 10.5 barrel? JP Enterprises claims it will be just fine, but wanted to get input from users.

2) Is there a better buffer system setup for a Lightweight BCG that I can use on a 10.5" barrel? I noticed the mention of Taccom in the conversations and this would probably help me reduce additional weight.

3) As an alternative to Boomfab.... Anyone have any experience with the Red X Arms or know of anyone using it that can speak for it.... http://shop.redxarms.com/RED-X-ARMS-TITANIUM-M16-STYLE-BOLT-CARRIER-GROUP-223-556-TITANIUMBCG.htm or can you recommend any other lightweight complete BCG setup. I was hoping to stay within the $350.00 range for the BCG... but if worse came to worse and I needed to scrape up some extra cash then so be it, but I would appreciate any suggestions. If you do recommend any other lightweight BCG, can you link a review to it or feedback on it as to why you recommend it. Kind of like the Red x arms... I've tried to find reviews online and not finding any other than links from people stating its an option for a lightweight bcg made of titanium but no feedback from any user.

Eventually I would like to build a 2nd upper and use the same setup BCG/BUFFER system with a longer barrel for 3Gun matches at the local Sportsman's Club.

Thank you so much in advance, and hope some of you could chime in with assistance.

Best Regards,

Mike

Im not an expert on SBR's so I don't know if you can choke the gas down with an adjustable gas block. Being able to turn the gas down is one of the advantages that a low mass system gives you.

If your looking for light weight the JP SCS isn't what I'd consider light as compared to a simple carbine buffer. Sorry that's all I got.

Keith Garcia and Kalani Laker shoot for Boomfab. They ran the Boomfab with a mid gas 14.5" barrel a bunch. Keith uses the JP SCS to. Might hit them up on their Facebook and see what they are doing.

Thanks Jesse for the feedback... I was thinking the JP SCS would help being a little heavier since I'm under the impression there is more gas pressure in a 10.5" or do I have this part backwards? And figured a light carrier with the SCS would do OK, so I thought.

Yeah I know it weighs a bit more than standard spring and buffer and that's why I mentioned the Taccom buffer and spring.

I'm still learning here. Any tips as to what modifications do what. In other words to understand when it's recommended to try a different spring stronger, flat or adjusting a light buffer, heavier buffer. When to do what. I know a lot is trial and error... Just trying to learn more about this. Being in law enforcement it was here is your gun and practice. Being my first build I'm eager to learn more and someday help others and return the favor.

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SpanishCop

Thanks Jesse for the feedback... I was thinking the JP SCS would help being a little heavier since I'm under the impression there is more gas pressure in a 10.5" or do I have this part backwards? And figured a light carrier with the SCS would do OK, so I thought.

Yeah I know it weighs a bit more than standard spring and buffer and that's why I mentioned the Taccom buffer and spring.

I'm still learning here. Any tips as to what modifications do what. In other words to understand when it's recommended to try a different spring stronger, flat or adjusting a light buffer, heavier buffer. When to do what. I know a lot is trial and error... Just trying to learn more about this. Being in law enforcement it was here is your gun and practice. Being my first build I'm eager to learn more and someday help others and return the favor.

Thanks

Mike

All my experience I with Rifle length gas stuff cause it's softer to start with.

Thanks

Mike

AR15.com has a forum just for SBR questions like this.

It looks like this thread may shed some light on your questions - -

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_51/444571_adjustable_gas_block_recommendation.html

Jesse & Chris, do you run a Ti firing pin as well. I am picking up a boomfab and want to make sure I get it set up properly. I shoot reloads and only reloads. I use cci 400 small rifle primers and with my current seekins low mass carrier I am getting small dents on primers after clearing the chamber of a live round. I haven't had a slam fire to date and would like to keep it that way. The carrier is a full carrier from boomfab and I am not sure what they use for their firing pin as it does not specify on their website. So should I use a Ti firing pin or switch to harder primers or both?

I am also curious on the maintenance side of things what lube most people are running on their titane's and how often you are cleaning them. I currently clean about every 500-1000 rounds and lube with grease or mobil1 depending on the time of year. I was contimplating switching to lucas oil.

Jesse & Chris, do you run a Ti firing pin as well. I am picking up a boomfab and want to make sure I get it set up properly. I shoot reloads and only reloads. I use cci 400 small rifle primers and with my current seekins low mass carrier I am getting small dents on primers after clearing the chamber of a live round. I haven't had a slam fire to date and would like to keep it that way. The carrier is a full carrier from boomfab and I am not sure what they use for their firing pin as it does not specify on their website. So should I use a Ti firing pin or switch to harder primers or both?

I am also curious on the maintenance side of things what lube most people are running on their titane's and how often you are cleaning them. I currently clean about every 500-1000 rounds and lube with grease or mobil1 depending on the time of year. I was contimplating switching to lucas oil.

I do run Ti firing pins. Less mass and less chance of a slam fire can't be bad things. Plus the gold ones look cooler.

I probably clean my rifles every 500 rounds. I pull the BCG and relube every day of a big match or every time I go practice or shoot a club match. Mobile 1 is cheap so I use it frequently.

I do run Ti firing pins. Less mass and less chance of a slam fire can't be bad things. Plus the gold ones look cooler.

I probably clean my rifles every 500 rounds. I pull the BCG and relube every day of a big match or every time I go practice or shoot a club match. Mobile 1 is cheap so I use it frequently.

Thanks Jesse are you still running the how Lmos buffer and polished spring.

Thanks Jesse are you still running the how Lmos buffer and polished spring.
Yes. I plan to reevaluate the JP captured spring this year too.