Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL650 primer detonation

Well it happend again.... 2nd time in about 18 years of reloading on a Dillon XL650. Except this time I wasn't the one running the press.

A friend of mine was over reloading (and yes, he is a very experienced reloader). Either a finished round got hung up on the ejector wire, or a primer got flipped and crushed, maybe both. Either way, it resulted in a detonation of a full string of primers and send the black primer rod through my ceiling and into my attic. I now have a indexer ring broken in 2. and my priming system has the primer magazine tube expanded inside (i imagine) and the primer support shim is now buckled.

Luckily no one was hurt, just a hole in my ceiling.

I now have a machine down, and an email to Dillon to order some replacement parts.

Just a Public Service announcement to remember to wear eye and ear protection at all times while reloading.

Chevy

Wow...that sucks, thanks for the reminder. Very glad nobody got hurt.

I run both a 550 and a 650. When I load on the 550 I don't mind having my daughter in the area (wearing eye protection, of course), but when I load on the 650 I do it strictly by my self because of the possibility of primer chain fire.

Funny thing is: this is the same machine that had the first detonation back years ago. ( I know because this one doesn't have Zerk Fittings) it is my original machine.

I just wanted to remind everyone. Now, I only need to look up at the ceiling above my reloading bench for my reminder to wear my PPE.

Either a finished round got hung up on the ejector wire, or a primer got flipped and crushed, maybe both. Either way, it resulted in a detonation of a full string of primers and send the black primer rod through my ceiling and into my attic.

I thought the separation of the primers on the primer disk would prevent a chain explosion that reached into the primer magazine. Guess I was wrong.

So what exactly got launched? The entire magazine shield along with the primer magazine inside it?

I had one on my 650 using Federal primers.

I hit a NATO primer pocket that was a bit too small and the primer got sideways. Ignited almost 100 primers in the tube. Put a nice hole in the ceiling but didn't go through. I have pictured somewhere.

It sounded like one large bang. My wife was in the room and thought she was going to turn around to find me without a face. No harm done other than ringing some ears and destroying a primer system.

I try two use Winchester primers now. They feel a bit less squishy.

Yeah, a bad idea. You are adding mass to a part that is designed to fail. Not unlike a similar thread recently on a billet aluminum indexer, you jack with a part with the intent of "fixing" it and cause other problems down the road.

I remember a thread on some forum where a guy ditched the plastic rod altogether and used an 1/8" Stainles steel TIG welding rod. That would likely go through the roof. You could do even better by having a screw that forced the primers down and left no play for a "reverse" action.

At that point it would likely be called a pipe bomb.

Edited by jmorris

• 5 years later...

Hi

Just had the XL650 blow up while loading 9mm. Using WSP primers. Probably my bad for forcing it a bit. Anyway, Dillon folks were great. They sent me a whole new small primer setup plus the plastic primer followed rod (which got all melted and bent when it hit the ceiling). Be careful out there !

1 hour ago, ODP1911 said:

I’ve been on a 650 for 24 yrs now without a blow up. Just so I’m understanding what’s happening, the primer as it enters primer disc from the tube is detonating?

Yes that’s what happens. Then it sets off a chain explosion right up the column in some cases.