Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

are thigh rigs making a comeback or whatever?

I was under the impression that thigh rigs are a big no-no unless you wanted to be labeled a mall ninja, Tactical Timmy, (sub)Urban Operator, etc. However, at the last meet I went to there were multiple top notch guys shamelessly running the things. Seems like the extra room on your belt, being able to relax your arms without your magwell poking out into your arm like a WRS holster does, and having a more natural position for drawing would all be big positives but I don't want to stick out like a newbie idiot any more than I already do. I need a holster for my 2011 for 3-gun so I'm kinda curious about them.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Anything can be mall ninja depending on who's using it.

USPSA and IDPA, in particular, don't allow thigh rigs -- USPSA pistol has a rule involving the butt of the gun, and IDPA has various rules related to holster height and what's suitable for daily wear. 3-gun, however, makes certain allowances for belt space. The biggest drawback I can think of is that you can't really draw and run at the same time. Further, most people don't actually know how to adjust them. They'll sag the hell out of it trying to look cool so they have to bend over to get the thing out.

I run a safariland 6004 but do so for a reason. I have super long arms, like missing link long. I am 5'11" wingspan is 6'5". My finger tips almost touch my knee caps when my arms are relaxed at my sides. When drawing from a conventional holster the stroke is much longer and my arm almost binds up at the top of the draw stroke. I do not however run mine all the way down as low as it will go. It is up about as high as I can get it while still running the leg straps. I do not have any trouble drawing on the run either.

Edited by LoganbillJ

Cory, note the difference in thigh rig and dropped holsters. Thigh rigs generally place the muzzle of the gun just a few inches above the knee cap and are mostly supported by the straps around the thigh.

Dropped holsters (Bladetech calls theirs DOH) are with the frame slightly lower than the belt line, and are supported from the belt, but many have a leg tie-down to keep it from flopping around. Either are fine for 3 gun, I prefer a DOH because I don't like a lot of weight on my leg while running. Also, like mentioned above, it's hard to draw while moving fast because the gun is moving as fast as your legs.

Cory, note the difference in thigh rig and dropped holsters. Thigh rigs generally place the muzzle of the gun just a few inches above the knee cap and are mostly supported by the straps around the thigh.

Dropped holsters (Bladetech calls theirs DOH) are with the frame slightly lower than the belt line, and are supported from the belt, but many have a leg tie-down to keep it from flopping around. Either are fine for 3 gun, I prefer a DOH because I don't like a lot of weight on my leg while running. Also, like mentioned above, it's hard to draw while moving fast because the gun is moving as fast as your legs.

I do recall some thigh mounted M1A mag holders that were pretty effective for you.

This is one of the things I was getting at -- they don't have to sag the gun that low. If it's so low you can't get a grip without bending yourself, it's too low.

I do recall some thigh mounted M1A mag holders that were pretty effective for you.

Yeah, it was either that or gain about 6" of real estate around the waist- and that seemed counter productive.

It was the Accurate Armory guys who caught my eye. I'm not sure exactly what they are but Pike runs one, I think I've seen Pike's son running one, either Steve or Keith had one on too. Not sure what exactly it is but it's lower than usual and has a thigh strap. It looks both goofy and comfortable at the same time.

Thigh holsters are one of those things that work a LOT better in theory than in practice.

In theory, they free up belt space, bring the gun down below body armor, and hang right where the hand naturally hangs.

In reality, they flop around, are constantly banging into things, and the retention straps are either circulation-cutting tight or won't stay up.

Thigh holsters are one of those things that work a LOT better in theory than in practice.

In theory, they free up belt space, bring the gun down below body armor, and hang right where the hand naturally hangs.

In reality, they flop around, are constantly banging into things, and the retention straps are either circulation-cutting tight or won't stay up.

^^this^^

I use a 6004 at work. It gets the pistol away from the hugely thick IBV armor. It does allow the pistol to move around more than I

like and get hung up in seat belts in HMMWV or aircraft but I like it better than the alternatives I've tried.

For competition I like BladeTech. Belt space can be an issue tho. Everything is a compromise, except safety

• 2 weeks later...

I have run 6004's on a thigh rig in 3 gun for years. I have one requirement for a holster, the holster MUST be secure, 100% jump-out-of-an-airplane SECURE. In USPSA [or any other pistol oriented game, the first thing you do when the buzzer sounds is draw, so the retention is only important for when you are milling about. With 3 gun, you typically do ALOT of things before you ever draw your pistol, so it must be no-nonsense secure.

When I first started buying them, the 6004's were absolutely in a class by themselves. I have gotten hung up a couple of times over the years, and I am confident that both my leg and my belt will break before the holster. I have performed the popular "remove the top strap and shorten up the drop strap" mod on all of mine to place the butt of the pistol right at wrist level [a few inches below the belt] and I find this very comfortable. The gun rides a bit below my hip joint, so it does not flop much.

Wearing it lower than belt level also has advantages when you have to manipulate long guns, because you are less likely to bash it with the butt stock or have it interfere with your shotgun loading technique..