Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

red dot zeroing distance?

gianmarko

hello everybody

at what distance do you zero the red dot for ipsc open division?

i am shooting a CZ Czechmate. at the moment my red dot is zeroed at more or less 15 mt (50ft) but at the last competition i found myself shooting above the targets and missing them.

still a beginner at competitions, and training mostly in indorr ranges, so targets are rarely at more than 30ft. last competition was in a range where some targets were either very small or very far. or both...

so what would you recommend as zeroing distance and as technique? should i train to aim lower when targets are distant?

thanks and greetings from switzerland

You'll find that the higher the sight the longer the bullet needs to spend under the line of sight before crossing over and going above it. At 10 to 15 yards with an optic it should be low. It's all about trig.

Usually folks tend to zero their gun at the longest targets they expect to see in competition. This so at the longer shots, which are harder to shoot you don't add in the extra factor of having to remember what your hold should be as well. When you do this the offset for close targets is usually relatively small so no adjustment is necessary ... Now you can shoot all targets with no holds to remember ...

Edited by Nimitz

12.5 yards , then test at other distances. I use 12.5 becuse of MOA ,and it seems to be an easy shot for most to start with. I have found that the bullet doesn't drop out of the dot at most uspsa distances. I shoot a 16 MOA so it's behind the dot at 50 yards (so is most of the a zone).

MOA dot :

16 = 4 inches @ 25 yards, 2@12.5

8 = 2 inches @ 25 , 1@12.5

1 MOA / 1.047 @100 yards

Edited by caspian38

I am using a C'More Serendipity. I zero at 10-12 yards because that is the distance for most of the shots at the clubs where I shoot. I am using a 10 minute dot (old eyes) and up real close I can shoot off of the bottom of the dot if there is a upper A-B zone shot with a no-shoot at the bottom of the B zone. At 25-30 yards I shoot off of the top of the dot. Lots of threads on the topic.

• 5 months later...