Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I ran into a open pistol with an interesting serialnumber: Leatham1

czbeardly

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I PM'ed him about it. It is one of his "old" guns. Was sold to a guy that moved from the US to Switzerland. Getting some info about how it ended up in Sweden tonight when I talk to the owner for working out a deal =). TGO said some work had been done on it after he sold it, I figure mostly external changes. Only thing i know that did not work flawless was with the 9x19 barrel, then it had some feeding issues, but was told it was due to issue with the main recoilspring, and that is not expensive to fix in the end. TGO also told me the gunsmiths at Springfield had hidden messages for years in his guns, but he had not found the one on the barrel when he owned it =)

Best guess 1994. That's when the open gun I still have (bought in 2004) was built at Springfield by Jack Weigand. My understanding is that Rob designed almost every aspect, these are the first Custom Shop guns since they switched from 9x25 to 9x23 or Supercomp. The 9x25 guns had comps with 8 chambers, 4 up and 4 out.

Mine cost 1250 and did not have hard chrome or special serial number or graffiti but same scope, mount, comp, grip, and magwell. Sold off the grip and magwell, cut the #6 chamber off the comp, ran the slide till it cracked last December, ran the scope till it cracked last Feb (a good long life). Nowlin barrel and comp, now with an RTS2, still groups under 1" at 25 yards.

post-354-0-82222800-1400169182_thumb.jpg post-354-0-78345600-1400169202_thumb.jpg post-354-0-53451400-1400169138_thumb.jpg

I wonder if it's the 1995 Open match-winning gun or if that one is still in Rob's gun vault. Either way that gun looks like it's been in a cool dry place for a long time and has a lot of life left in it. If it was in the USA I'd buy it today.

Edited by eric nielsen

Best guess 1994. That's when the open gun I still have (bought in 2004) was built at Springfield by Jack Weigand. My understanding is that Rob designed almost every aspect, these are the first Custom Shop guns since they switched from 9x25 to 9x23 or Supercomp.

Mine cost 1250 and did not have hard chrome or special serial number or graffiti but same scope, mount, comp, grip, and magwell. Sold off the grip and magwell, cut the #6 chamber off the comp, ran the slide till it cracked last December, ran the scope till it cracked last Feb (a good long life). Nowlin barrel and comp, now with an RTS2, still groups under 1" at 25 yards.

attachicon.gifap3.jpg attachicon.gifap4.jpg attachicon.gifOpen RTS thumbrest.jpg

I wonder if it's the 1995 Open match-winning gun or if that one is still in Rob's gun vault.

I wonder how much extra he paid for the penis on the barrel?

Best guess 1994. That's when the open gun I still have (bought in 2004) was built at Springfield by Jack Weigand. My understanding is that Rob designed almost every aspect, these are the first Custom Shop guns since they switched from 9x25 to 9x23 or Supercomp. The 9x25 guns had comps with 8 chambers, 4 up and 4 out.

attachicon.gifap3.jpg attachicon.gifap4.jpg attachicon.gifOpen RTS thumbrest.jpg

I wonder if it's the 1995 Open match-winning gun or if that one is still in Rob's gun vault. Either way that gun looks like it's been in a cool dry place for a long time and has a lot of life left in it. If it was in the USA I'd buy it today.

Nice info! Well, if that gun was built around that time (it has a SVI frame, dunno when they started building those) it has aged well, and I think it is still very competitive. 1250 bucks back in 1994ish should be around 2000$ today. I cannot find a new open gun (cz or tanfoglio, or similar) for under 5500$... I am waiting for the current owner to give me a call, I think I need to get this. Only Think I would do would perhaps fix a new mount for a c-more or my trijicon rmr. As it comes with 6 mags, of which two are 170mm's and a 9x19 barrel with comp for minor (for steel matches I belive).

Only real problem will be the license process which over here is... painful to say the least...

Talked to the owner, a clubmember that lives and works in Another city for the time being. He wanted to keep it, but as the license laws are, you need to present competition results to be able to renew the license every 5 years, and he had none.. Part of me wants to shoot in the Open Division, had just not planned on it or another year or so :) but I refuse to see this gun to go to destruction so I have to wade through the horrible process of geting a licence for it.

Brand new (mid-1990's) those guns sold for around $3000 which is $4500 in today's money. Mine had already been shot a LOT when I got it in 2004; the gun you just bought is worth much more than mine, congrats.

PS that thing being cut up for scrap would be even worse than TGO's Springfield P9 getting stolen, sold to a movie prop company, used in a movie (Rising Sun), and never returned to the rightful owner.

The current owner said it was built fairly new(ish) around 10 to 12 years old, even with the funky old aimpoint. the guy that bought and moved it to Europe was Swedish, not from Switzerland (current owners story). Then again I have seen my share of people confusing Sweden (vikings, blond chicks, midnight sun) with Switzerland (cheese eaters and chockolate producers). Either way, it is here, in my club, and I just made sure I have to spend my vacation on my balcony drinking beer instead of doing something fun :P I might have to send the SVI guys a mail asking for info =) After all... I figure they might remember something TGO has been involved with.

Sort of getting cold feet, mostly becuse I am totally green in the whole 9x23mm swamp... I figured it to be .38 super (as I knew it is 9x23) but it was 9x23 Winchester... ie the whole .233 rem vs 5.56 nato thing. Brass was more expensive to buy, I would be the ONLY one in my club shooting 9x23 Win... Not a single shop sells 9x23mm Win in Sweden that I have found, only .38 super. I did a Quick readup on 9x23mm Win and it looked sweet but never took off like .38 super did.

Am I boned? can you shoot .38 super in a 9x23 Win barrel? the words "wuaheiuaeuaheeiu" goes through my head right now.

http://38super.net/Pages/9X23.html

as long as its a support chamber and headspaces/chambers you should be fine using 38 super in a 9x23.

if it doesn't chamber, it looks like based on the the dimensions a 38super reamer could be applied to the 9x23 barrel if needed.

edit...scroll down to part 2.

Edited by seanc

You can shoot 38 super through 9x23 guns, you might get a little bit more bulge at the base of the fired case but that isn't a biggie. I have a Tanfo that measures out to 9x23 specs (but says 38 super) and it runs 38 super just fine.

Worst case is you swap barrels, and even then you are still into it less than it is worth.

Also, I wouldn't consider replacing the aimpoint unless it is broken. I wouldn't consider the tube red dot as a handicap. The biggest thing the c-more has going for it is it's durability IMHO. Anyway, I'd shoot it as is and make changes along the way as you feel you need them

Cool gun!.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that the Leatham 1 is now in my Gunsafe! I got my licence application in the process, but thankfully there is something called "licence for loan" over here, meening the owner has signed a licence for me to borrow in the meentime. Super nice of the seller to do that. Put in the 9x19 barrel and went for a testdrive yesterday. (I only have about 350 .38 super rounds, so I will not waste them...) Hopefully I can catch some videos of it this weekend :)