Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have You Removed Pre-Travel Successfully

BOOM

Has anyone succeed in eliminating all the pre-travel of a factory Glock trigger while still keeping all 3 of the safeties functioning. With gunsmiths like Chariie Vanek, and Johnny Glock clams of that's what there selling (a modified factory trigger). I thought its possible for the do it yourself-ers to drill, tap, and install a few small Allen screws on there own trigger housing, and there trigger pads accomplishing pretty much the same thing. I would like to see what exactly you've done :ph34r: The key issue for me is in keeping all 3 of safeties functioning without the pre-travel

It may be easier to just order a DK trigger bar or a Vanek trigger housing but with a little trial and errow you can drill the holes and install the screws. There is not much room for error so purchase several trigger housings.

Edited by JBP55

You can not eliminate all of the pre travel and maintain the 3 safeties the design of the GLOCK is to maintain striker travel to complete the mechanism. If one wants a single action pistol then they need to buy a single action pistol like the XD/XDM etc

Exactly: I'm looking for those here who have drilled, and taped there own, and wouldn't mind explaining where and what they done. Having the OEM parts, and buying few inexpensive Allen screws.with some time can be its own reward.

Charlie Vanek ; sells his trigger housing with both pre-travel, and over-travel adjustment screws shipped is $42.00

DK triggers ; sells the trigger bar alone for $75.00 shipped .

All of these parts I'm sure are worth the money.

But aren't these modified Factory Parts.? Maybe someone here using these parts wouldn't mind opening up there gun and share what you see different over the original OEM parts, and Pic's would be great.

Thanks Up Front

another option i have seen is people putting a screw into the frame, allowing the trigger bar to only go so far forward. while this isn't pre travel it definitely is a way to make a 'short reset trigger' in your glock and not have anything visible from the outside.

just not tons of material there, so proceed with caution.

Also - I ordered a trigger and it had too much pre travel taken out and the drop safety didn't fiction as a result. My guess is 90% of folks wouldn't even catch that. But the trigger bar has to go forward far enough so the cruciform rests in the ledge of the trigger housing. The ledge keeps the bar from dropping and disengaging the striker. There is at least one big trigger company out there that sells the trigger where this no longer works.

On the other hand I have two Vanek triggers and they function as designed. Yes I could do the work myself now that I have seen how and what. But Charlie and others deserve to make a living!

Pre-travel in Glocks has been a long going problem. I'm trying to help solve problem with this post. Other post here have sought to reduce trigger pull with 25 cent trigger jobs, and perceived felt recoil with spring changes Everyone enjoys that information now don't you ? If you feel guilty about not paying $100 plus dollars for 2 Allen screws and removing a little material I can understand. :huh:

You can do it yourself, but you probably need some kind of jig to be able to drill the holes straight in the trigger assy so you can tap for the set screws. Most of the smiths scallop a dish in the trigger bar portion that raises the safety plunger. This mod brings the trigger closer to the frame, but you have to be careful. A lot of the smiths trim the safety tab in the trigger and I believe this is an external mod and not legal. Some smiths also move the pins in the trigger to give you more of a mechanical advantage, but this is also a external mod. As has been mentioned the more pre travel you remove you start getting towards the threshold of disabling the drop safety. I tried a couple of the triggers that remove pre travel and found my drop safety wasn't functional so I just said screw it and went back to the factory assy But I do have the over travel set screw.

Having been down this road before with my own trigger there are threads on this forum that talk about these mods and what is needed. However it's not for the faint of heart, I went through a couple trigger bars to figure it out and get it right. That being said it's easier to leave the pre-travel and learn to prep/stage the trigger. You can remove some pre-travel without having to trim back the other safety's, this is what I do with an over-travel stop. Some of these mods are not legal in IDPA SSP or USPSA Production devisions.

I recently felt a couple DK triggers at the Alabama State IDPA, they were awesome! You can set it up to have minimal pre-travel or however you would like. Having done the work myself and knowing how, I would highly recommend you get the DK trigger. Save yourself the time, money and frustration and focus on the shooting.

Pre-travel in Glocks has been a long going problem. I'm trying to help solve problem with this post. Other post here have sought to reduce trigger pull with 25 cent trigger jobs, and perceived felt recoil with spring changes Everyone enjoys that information now don't you ? If you feel guilty about not paying $100 plus dollars for 2 Allen screws and removing a little material I can understand. :huh:

Where do you buy your parts?

For that amount of money you can buy 3 new trigger housings with the modification done by Charlie Vanek.

Thanks Rooster; Those are exactly the things I'm trying to discuss here reshaping parts along with adding set screws. I'm almost sure that the bump or (what ever its called) on the trigger bar that depresses the safety plunger needs to be reshaped so that it doesn't engage the safety plunger as quickly also the trigger pad safety need to be trimmed. To me just adding Allen screws to the trigger housing will disable the safety plunger because the trigger bar bump will end up ridding on the safety plunger as your reduce the pre-travel. I have talk with Charile several times He is a great guy he explained to me that all his parts are modified OEM Glock parts and that just doing one modification like adding his trigger housing most likely will not remove much of the pre-travel with out disengaging one or more of the safeties, and that he does not have the time to do his super trigger any longer. If you go to Vanek home page he sells every part you need (except) the trigger bar (huh ?) DK does sell a trigger bar at $65.00 plus ship, but I'm sure it will need his other parts to reduce pre-travel and have it running right. Through the experience of others here WHO post what they've learned I buy my parts, springs, connectors,safety plungers from the different vendors here who support our sport.

Might need to go re read my website lol. My trigger bar is the heart of my system I do not use an Overtravel stop in the ejector housing so to answer you post NO all you need is the trigger bar to have the same adjustability that is in every kit I sell.

Yes buying the trigger bar alone means you have to make it work with your parts but it is there for those that like to tinker and use parts they already have. With the kits I match everything together to work properly and test fit in a donor gun for that exact purpose and then send it out.

And I support the sports. Discounts to JR shooters which are the future of these sports and I'll be adding prize certs to our local large matches here and possible to the SE ProAm and have Team Shooters

Edited by dskinsler83

Thank You DK; Would you agree with me that the bump on the trigger bar that engages the safety plunger would need to be reshaped or set back more so that it does not fully engage the plunger safety as quickly ? Doing this first would allow you to reduce the pre-travel and still have all 3 safeties working . Provided you trimmed the trigger pad safety, and added a set screw to either the trigger pad, or trigger housing.

Thank You DK; Would you agree with me that the bump on the trigger bar that engages the safety plunger would need to be reshaped or set back more so that it does not fully engage the plunger safety as quickly ? Doing this first would allow you to reduce the pre-travel and still have all 3 safeties working . Provided you trimmed the trigger pad safety, and added a set screw to either the trigger pad, or trigger housing.

Go to his website and see the answers.

I've learned to preset a trigger from a draw; do I like it (NO)

(1)You can have a surprise ignition; it happens I know

(2) Its one more thing to think about; Stay focus on other thing

(3) If you like pre-travel great; Everyone shoots different.

:roflol:

Hey BOOM check your PM I left some vital information for you. I haven't learned how to upload photos so there is a request for you to follow. I'll show you exactly how to do it 100% safeties in tack and the ZEV style scallop cut into the vertical extension not completely necessary but it looks like your getting your moneys worth. There is a way to make this a single action trigger but it's a process I only reserve for few it was not that hard to figure out you just have to have the whole gun and know your stuff- but then again I've tuned over the thousand mark I can say I feel like I have an actual relationship with this firearm it's odd to say but true