Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

split times on stock G17

txaggie

I was out playing with my new CED 8000 timer today at the range and I was doing some rapid fire drills. The fastest that I could get my splits down with accurate fire was .20 secs. The gun is a stock G17 with the trigger polished (25 cent trigger job). I was just wondering what some other people are getting so that I might know how I compare.

Thanks.

My G17 has all stock Glock parts, with the addition of a Glock OEM 3.5# connector, and a Wolff 4# striker spring, and some light polishing. It breaks at 2.75# and I can get .11 up close. It is typical to get .12 at 5-7 yards. The same is true for my G34.

Around .13 on a good day and .15 regular.

Ditto.

A good Bill Drill for me would be a .18 first split and the rest of the splits at .15 (All Alpha hits at 8y).

For me to hit a .13, I need to have my foucs on something other than split speed (like being aggresive getting to a big transition).

No worries though, 0.20 splits are fine. I wouldn't lose sleep.

Like Flex and Skeeter said. For example in a 30 round course with all paper targets, assuming all else stays the same, there is only .75 seconds difference between .20 and .15 splits. Having a good plan for a stage and executing it can save way more than .75. Also making sure the gun is ready to fire as you enter each shooting position can be a big time shaver. Its not just about the splits its about a smooth error free performance shaving all wasted time/motion. The mantra around this board is to see what you need to see to get the good hit:)

Keith

Thanks for the responses. I found that .20 splits on a close (3-4yds) target was attainable with accuracy. I found that at 10 yds, if my splits are .35 sec I am very accurate. If my splits get down to .30 then I hit only 50-60% of the time.

fwiw, I'd say get a good idea of all of your times...draw to first shot, splits, transitions (near and far), etc. Then begin to look at what you need to work on as opposed to concentrating on that one area.

Depending on your practice time and availability, you may not wish to work on one area, while concetrating on another.

While for a GM/M, some of those tiems may not be good, for you and your level, they very well may be. Don't get too hung up on numbers to the point you lose sight of the rest of what we do.

It's very fun to talk about fast splits, and it's very fun to shoot them.

Me? I Like signing score cards with lots and lots of As on them.

:) :) :)

SA

So true. Fast splits are only as fast as you think they are. That means that if you're shooting "fast" splits, you're shooting on the edge. Shooting on the edge gives you the feeling that you're going fast. While, if you back off as little as .02 per split, you'll have the sensation of being much slower, and you will have a feeling of total control.

You won't lose time and your points will be better.

Let the timer be the judge of how fast you are. All you have to do is get the points.

Thanks again for the responses. BTW, just a little background on me. I compete in IDPA here in the Dallas area. I shoot SSP/SS and have only been competing since May. I just purchased Steve Anderson's book before Christmas and also got a timer for Christmas. I believe that the timer can tell a lot of information. So my question about the splits was more of a curiosity question. As I already posted above, I can't shoot that accurately with .20 splits, so that obviously won't be my focus.

QUESTION FOR STEVE ANDERSON -

BTW, as an aside, how much time would you add to your drills to account for a cover garment being worn?

Thanks.

Sounds like you figured out that splits aren't that important. Some of the advice given to you is by GM shooters, and it is all very sound. I had the wrong idea for years about splits, and just recently learned that I can get A hits fast when I see what I need to. I regret spending all those rounds seeing how fast I could shoot splits for the first two years. Since my accuracy is fine, I am spending my third year working on footwork, shooting into and outof positions, transitions, and stage planning.

If one can win by splits alone I think Saul K will be king followed closely by a lot of B and C-classed shooters. :P:ph34r:

Seriously, a lot of good things have been said already. One thing I can add is to have a structure in your practice regime. Usually it's in the matches you shoot that you see your deficiencies. And most time wasters involve the non-shooting part. A good thing really, because you can practice them without ever firing a single shot. ;)