Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate and relatively cheap .40 bullet

3djedi

New to 40's and looking for a "cheaper" 40 bullet to practice with. I saw some berrys 180g RS bullets for about 10 cents a peice. Would these be a good choice? Any other suggestions.

This is for an STi....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention that I practice in an indoor range. Cast bullets are probably a bad idea. Don't they release more lead into the air?

Though indoor ranges vary, they are supposed to be, by law, power vented to eliminate any hazard from lead dust that might be there. Having said that, some indoor ranges might not allow lead bullets, but I don't know of any around me that object to them. On the other hand, the newer "coated" lead bullets seem to retain their coating even when shot into steel and contain any lead splatter that might be a problem, so I think coated lead is now the way to go for inexpensive, accurate, and pretty much "safe" bullets. They are also a lot cleaner in the reloading process (you won't get any lead on your fingers handling them) and cleaner in the barrel too!

Precision Bullets have a coated bullet that I have been using for some time.

BBI has great products.

Falcon Bullets are new to coating but have been around for a bit and they are another great option.

All these are suggestions for coated cast bullets. Not sure that you would have any less exposed lead with any of the thinly plated bullets.

I have been using BBI's and I must say that I am impressed! first of all I use titegroup powder, and I figured I would look like a choo choo train, while shooting a stage, but with his new coating, that has been a non factor. his bullets are as advertised. I use less powder (8-10% less powder) and they are accurate. The impulse is similar to shooting lead, which I like. If you haven't tried them, they are definitely well worth a try. I would use these bullets over any of the bullets on the market today. In fact, I think its the ideal bullet for shooting sports.

Precision Bullets have a coated bullet that I have been using for some time.

BBI has great products.

Falcon Bullets are new to coating but have been around for a bit and they are another great option.

All these are suggestions for coated cast bullets. Not sure that you would have any less exposed lead with any of the thinly plated bullets.

Yeah, what he said. First target here was using their 185 grain bullet and a SIG P229. Second target is the same bullet in a Dan Wesson 10mm.

40SW.jpg

dwgroup.jpg

And his prices include the shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for Berry's Bullets

I ended up with berrys 180g RS not sure how much different the round shoulder is from the flat point but they were on sale so I picked them up. They were the berry's seconds so I got a discount.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying some of berry's RS 180g seconds. Cost about 10 cents a peice. So far, no thrilled with the accuracy. I may just end up getting some MG jhp's. I use those in 9mm and they are excellent. ..