Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short range report- G41

Bryan 45

I picked up a G41 about a month ago, but didn't have a chance to shoot it until this weekend. Saturday I put about 50 rounds through it to check function and POI. Stock crappy sights are just as crappy as I remember. It reminded me why I've changed them out on all my other Glocks before ever shooting them. But, POI was close. Function was as expected, even with my 230g @ 750fps reloads. Ejection was a little weak, but that's always been typical w/ a G21 and lighter loads too.

Shot a 3 gun match with it on Sunday, hit everything when the sights were aligned, including 4" steel out to about 12 yards and a big square plate at about 50. I like the gun. Recoil was very mild, almost as light as my G34. I haven't put any standard velocity rounds through it yet, but I can't imagine it being much different. Stock trigger is managable.

Now to get some grip work done to it, adjustable sights, and it will be ready for Heavy Metal 3 gun.

I have shot a G21 a few times, but quickly put them down, and refused to own one because they're so big.

I picked this one up, and quickly took it home. Take it for what it's worth because I do not like the G21 due to it's size, but I think the G41 made the 21 obsolete overnight.

The G41 fits in my Bladetech G34 holster, a Don Hume leather G34 holster, and my Bladetech G34 holster w/ a Surefire X300 attached. The slide is so much smaller than the G21. As far as the frame, with none of the extra backstraps installed, it's just slightly bigger than the G34.

Given that you own the G34 and G41 which do you like better? Although I'm an M&P fan my wife seems to be a glock girl and I'm trying to decide between the two. She shot a 9mm M&P and liked it better than my .40 M&P even though she was shooting factory loads from the 9mm and minor loads from my M&P.

Which one I like better is tough. If it's for competition, I'd stick w/ the 34 due to capacity and ammo cost. If it was a duty type gun, I'd take the 41.

For just regular plinking, concealed carry, etc- give me a Glock 19.

I have a G35 and a G23 too- but the more I shoot 9mm, the less I like .40.

AFAIK, the 41 slide is as slim as the 30S/36 slide. The difference in slide mass is quite noticeable when holding a 30SF vs a 30S. Even though the 41 slide is almost an inch longer than the 21, the upper is 2.3oz lighter than a 21's. That's not quite as big a difference as the 30SF/30S, but I bet it's still noticeable.

That must be the frame width. The slide is the same width as the G34/35 series. Nice thing about it is they didn't open up the top of the slide behind the front sight like they did on the G34/35 though.

I'll try to get a couple pics of it in comparison to a G34.

The slide is thinner. Glocks stats for pistol thickness measure at its widest point which is somewhere on the lower...perhaps across the lower at the mag release?

(null)

ok, so which is the thinnest Glock 45acp? I shot a 21 last year and it felt like I was giving a handy to a 4x4. I'm getting the GSSF certificate on my renewal soon and wanted to get something in 45. i have the Gen 4 17 and like it enough

it's my understanding that the G41 has the same frame as 21SF but with top end dimensions similar to 34 because it drops in to all my holsters for my production rig except for magazine pouches

I measured the slide last night- G34 is 1.000" wide. G41 is 1.000" wide. Interestingly, the G41 is just a little longer, maybe 1/4", and it's all from the ejection port rearward. I'm guessing it has something to do with the length the slide must travel to function w/ the longer .45acp round over the 9mm.

The frame is too hard to measure accurately with it's irregular shape.

This would be a perfect Heavy metal pistol as stated before. I wish all 3 gun rules would get rid of that stupid has to be a 1911 rule and I may pick one up. Thanks for the mini review.

• 5 months later...

I have been shooting a G41 in SSP for several months now. ,The slide outside dimensions are the same as a 34/35. I use a 13 lb ISMI spring. You can use the same holster as a 34/35. May have to heat up the Kydex just a touch at the bottom with some holsters. I shoot a 130 pf load with 200 gr LSWC bullets. 3.0 gr of Clays/ClayDot. OAL 1.250". It will not point the same as the Gen 3 Glocks. I shoot mine without a grip insert. Points the same as a 1911 with flat MSH. It weighs between a 34 and 35. A 35 will always shoot softer than a 34.The 41 shoots as soft as my 35. I like the big cookie cutter holes.

Of course mine has the world famous Joe D Wonder Trigger - 1 1/4 lb pull. I added Ameriglo FO front and plain black rear.

I'm not aware of any major match that still requires a 1911 for Heavy. Unless it's a WWII division.

I believe 3 gun heavy metal and he-man has to be single stack 191145

Not at any matches east of the Mississippi. I think even USPSA Multigun rules removed the requrement for 1911s.

MOD 1 removed the finger grooves, stippled the frame, and undercut the triggerguard and it drives like a race car now.

409824575.jpg