Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chamber reamer, Hard to use?

Craig N

It seems none of the smiths around here have a 40 caliber chamber reamer. I need to open my KKM barrel just a little on my glock for the lead reloads to go all the way in.

Is it hard to use one? I know I'd need to check after each turn to see if I was where I need to be. Does it leave a rough finish that I would need something else to polish/finish with?

I'd love to see a thread started in the home gunsmithing area for sharing specialty tools or maybe a tool exchange: reamers, tap and die sets, dovetail cutters.

I can't tell you how many tools I've bought for this project or another and never used again, it's very inefficient.

It's not difficult at all, however you do need to do it with finesse. Make sure to clean your reamer thoroughly before its first use to make sure it's free of chips.

Buy some cutting oil. You can get the Oatey cutting oil from Home Depot for less than $10.00.

You will need a decent tap wrench. Some of those cheap Chinese tap wrenches from Home Depot will not work--they will keep on slipping.

Finally, I recommend you buy the finish reamer, rather than just the throater. Sometimes the chamber is out-of-round or has a taper in it. Using the finish reamer will take care of this and the freebore in one session. I've bought just the throaters before then realized I still needed the finish reamer to open up the chamber.

You can actually rent the reamers FYI. There should be some info in these forums.

Good luck!

It seems none of the smiths around here have a 40 caliber chamber reamer. I need to open my KKM barrel just a little on my glock for the lead reloads to go all the way in.

Is it hard to use one? I know I'd need to check after each turn to see if I was where I need to be. Does it leave a rough finish that I would need something else to polish/finish with?

Are you sure your hitting the rifling kkms are cut pretty long, if your bullet has a broad sholder check your crimp just in case before you proceed :-)

Easy to use, but as others have said be sure to use a lot of finesse. If you don't have patients or get heavy handed it is easy to ruin the barrel and/or the reamer.

ATF straight or mixed with a little kerosene or Jet-A works well for finish reaming and leaves a glass-like finish assuming the reamer is sharp.

NEVER turn the reamer backwards.

Make a light turn or so, then check. It's not a corkscrew, let the reamer do the work. You can make go/no-go dummy rounds for your gun from your own cases and bullets at the OAL you want to use.

Definitely want to use a finish reamer. Be aware that a chamber reamer will alter your headspace, and the throater probably won't. (your call on which one you actually need)

If you ask around you might find a shooting buddy with the reamer you need, but reamers are one of those tools that can be easily ruined...so some folks don't like to lend them. If your do borrow one make sure there are no chips or nicks on the cutting surfaces.

Last time I used a finish reamer I wanted to increase the headspace in a .38 super by .006" and it took about 4 turns.

Edited by Bamboo

Are you sure your hitting the rifling kkms are cut pretty long, if your bullet has a broad sholder check your crimp just in case before you proceed :-)

I have checked all that. I even crimped it to the point it was grooving the heck outta the bullet.

I think that just a pass or 2 with the finish reamer will open up the tighter chamber on the KKM enough to work.

Sounds like you need a throater and not a chamber reamer,

Does the brass go all the way into the barrel and its only the loaded lead bullets that do not feed?

If so, you need a throater only reamer.

Bill

Leave it to me to get the wrong thing :angry2:

Reading comprehension I has not today. Here the link to the reamer I ordered.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-blanks-tools/reamers/centerfire-reamers/rimless-pistol-cartridges-rimless-pistol-cartridge-40-s-w-finisher-sku513-051-400-40866-19471.aspx

Can someone smarter than me figure out if it has a throat reamer built in it or not. There is 2 questions asking the same thing and 2 different answers.

I believe there is a good thread on the IDPA group on Facebook on this very topic, it could prove useful in finding your answer.

I looked on the IDPA section here for like 10 mins before it dawned on me what you were talking about.

Manson is a very good reamer. I suspect that you ultimately got what you want based on past experience, but can't tell for sure with the information available. When you get it try it out and see. If it doesn't cut more out of the throat, then you will have to get a throating reamer. If that one makes the throat longer, you are ahead of the game because it will make sure the chamber is the right size too.

Reading comprehension I has not today. Here the link to the reamer I ordered.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-blanks-tools/reamers/centerfire-reamers/rimless-pistol-cartridges-rimless-pistol-cartridge-40-s-w-finisher-sku513-051-400-40866-19471.aspx

Can someone smarter than me figure out if it has a throat reamer built in it or not. There is 2 questions asking the same thing and 2 different answers.

From the Brownells catalog and the reamer you referenced, "Finish Chambering Reamers feature integral throater and solid, fixed pilots."

So yes, this reamer will cut the throat for "standard" rounds. But to increase the throating with this reamer, you will also lengthen the chamber. If that's what is needed good. If not, that's bad. A throating reamer will not affect the chamber diameter or length.

The ad also notes that "Throating Reamers let you customize a chambering job for non-standard bullets or additional freebore length". That extra freebore length may be what you need to solve your lead bullet problem. None of the reamers on that ad are true throating reamers.

Although Brownells lists several throating reamers from both Clymer and Manson, they do not currently stock one in .40 cal. If all you need to do is cut out a bit of the rifling to allow the bullet to feed, you need the throater.

I recommend you go to Manson's website and review their catalog. The site also has instructions for using a reamer.

http://www.mansonreamers.com/