Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Supernova (not) loading

DEP44

Hey guys, I got me a Supernova during the winter, 24" and set it up with a Nordic +5 and Nordic follower (the one for the supernova). Cut the spring as per directions. Practiced my loading with dummies A-Zoom and all cycles fine. Went to the range to verify aim of the new hiviz sights I put on it and loaded 1 round in the tube. Pushed the bolt release, cycled and it tossed the round right out the loading port. This was repeated several times. Got home and from what I can see is this: if I rack the slide back, the round sticks out the tube not more than 1/8 and won't move. I can't push it back in. Racking the slide forward will release the round and the lifter will push it out the loading port. Ammo is cheap Winchester super target.

Any ideas a where to start troubleshooting this?

Edit to add: it seems to happen about 50% of the time and the rounds that don't cycle, won't cycle the next time either. Rounds that do load correctly, load fine again and again.

Edited by DEP44

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, try different ammo. The Winchester Super Target is extremely inconsistent on the crimp. Some of them are mushroomed so badly, it's like a rim on both ends.

I second that motion.

You need to figure out why your carrier is not dropping down to receive the shell. When you are loading the lifter stays against the bottom of the bolt carrier. As you pump the shotgun back, the carrier is supposed to drop down below the shell and then the shell is released from the magazine. The shell can not fall out the loading port if the carrier is in the right place.

Edited by co-exprs

Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie to shotguns!

The way it looks is that by pumping back the lifter does drop. The new round however is still stuck in the tube, it maybe comes out 1/8". I've tried at that point to push it back in the tube by reaching into the ejection port, but it's really stuck and doesn't get released until I pump forward and the lifter is already back up again. I'll examine more closely tonight.

Hi DEP44

I think I may have the same problem, and I totally think it is the Nordic follower. I haven't tried live fire yet, but the only change is the follower, and the gun will barely pump with it fitted. Installing the standard follower makes the pump work properly again. I think the Nordic follower is too long and is impeding the mechanism. :(

Keith

OK here's some pics to try and illustrate the differences between the two followers.

This is the standard Supernova follower.

snstdfoll_zps2db9cbf2.jpg

This is the Nordic follower.

snnordicfoll_zpse6bedde6.jpg

This is a comparison of the two. The Nordic follower is much longer! The Nordic is the same diameter, 23mm, up to the chamfer, then it drops to 22mm. It's that part of it that makes the difference.

snstdnordicfollcompare_zps8c8a06a5.jpg

I will just amend my original comment. The gun loads sweet with the Nordic follower installed, it's just when it comes to the last shell out of the magazine tube that its a little harder to eject, or pump. Once the last shell has been ejected, the follower seems to stick slightly. If you get your finger in through the receiver, you can push it back into the magazine tube a couple of mm, but as soon as you pump the gun it will 'stick' again. It could just need 'bedding in', as I said before, all this is based on loading and not live fire, so I won't know if it will work properly until then. Still, I am a bit disappointed though.....

HTH

Keith

I trimmed the spring as per the Nordic instructions. IIRC it says to cut it 16" longer than the tube.

First test completed: Remington shells cycle! Test was done with only 1 round in the tube to simulate the "last round issue". 15 rounds without hiccups using the Nordic follower.

I have attached a picture of the ejection port while pumped back. The Winchester round is stuck in the tube. It gets released when pumping forward. I also have this problem with Winchester X shells.

post-6746-0-95315900-1398204253_thumb.jp

That's very interesting DEP :huh: The only thing I can come up with is that I've got the wrong follower from the factory (my gun was brand new a couple of years ago), or that there has been a design change along the way. I don't know enough about how a Supernova works to say why the last shell out of the mag takes a little more effort when pumping the gun. If the gun is pumped while empty it feels the same, the bolt gets to about half way back and then it feels like the whole thing is trying to seize up, like it's got no lube and its bone dry (not the case!). It doesn't do this with the standard one (mine anyway).

Keith

Then again maybe not! Looking at the parts diagram, there seems to be two different configurations of the Supernova magazine tube. The follower I have is the 068C, whereas DEP44 has the 065N. This could be down to the version of SN that is purchased. The firearms laws in the UK mean that to have a shotgun that has a capacity of greater than 3 shots, you have to have it on a Firearms Certificate (FAC), whereas a 'normal' shotgun (ie no more than 3 shot capacity) requires a Shotgun Certificate. I bought the version that is classed as FAC, so it is 5 shot (4+1) capacity as standard, and then added the Nordic tube to make it 10+1. I suspect that if I had bought the 3 shot version, I might have had the same of follower as DEP44. However, that doesn't explain why they need to different :huh:

HTH

Keith

snpartsdiag1_zpsd0f1eb12.jpg

Thanks everybody for helping me to sort this out so quick. Hope to use it this Sunday in a match, I upgrade from a Mossberg 535 to this one. Just have to get a few more boxes of Remington now. Btw.... Mine doesn't feel like something binds when pumping.

The cheap Winchester ammo sometimes will not chamber easily in my over / under, as in I have to PUSH the damn shell into the chamber. Shooting them for trap isn't an issue, but, in a pump or semi auto, it is. Crimp is the key for the guns to operate smoothly.

Why would you need to change the lifter on a Nova? It doesnt need to be welded, it stays up out of the way while loading instead of springing back down like on a M1/2.

I would contact Trapr on here, he is a Nova guru and should be able to help sort it out.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Hey guys, I got me a Supernova during the winter, 24" and set it up with a Nordic +5 and Nordic follower (the one for the supernova). Cut the spring as per directions. Practiced my loading with dummies A-Zoom and all cycles fine. Went to the range to verify aim of the new hiviz sights I put on it and loaded 1 round in the tube. Pushed the bolt release, cycled and it tossed the round right out the loading port. This was repeated several times. Got home and from what I can see is this: if I rack the slide back, the round sticks out the tube not more than 1/8 and won't move. I can't push it back in. Racking the slide forward will release the round and the lifter will push it out the loading port. Ammo is cheap Winchester super target.

Any ideas a where to start troubleshooting this?

Edit to add: it seems to happen about 50% of the time and the rounds that don't cycle, won't cycle the next time either. Rounds that do load correctly, load fine again and again.

DEP44 You might find this interesting, the same thing was happening to this guys SN and this was his fix. http://youtu.be/ZUSSciHGJbA

Keith

Hi JJ

I changed it because it had the 'Arvid Grind' done to it and I wasn't convinced it was going to be reliable, so I put the standard one back in.

Keith

Just running straight Novas, not sure what the arvid grind is, but never had a reason to not use the factory lifter. Maybe ignorance is bliss? ?