Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Supernova (not) loading

DEP44

I haven't touched the gun since, but I'm attempting heavy limited again. So I took it out and I'm still having this malfunction. I've read about problems with sticking lifters, but from what I observed, it's working correctly. It seems however, the new round is sometimes not released from the tube or sometimes gets hung up long enough to be released when moving the fore-end forward and the shell gets (violently) ejected though the loading port. What I can see, is that the case sometimes gets stuck behind the left tab instead of resting against the release tab on the right. I tried to take some pictures. I hope they tell the story. Shells with a brass rim do better than the cheaper Winchester white boxes or Remington Gun Club stuff.

I'm thinking to round/polish the tab a bit, hoping that will keep shells from hanging up. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

post-6746-0-61954900-1461608336_thumb.jp

post-6746-0-21638900-1461608354_thumb.jp

post-6746-0-71122100-1461608388_thumb.jp

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK here's some pics to try and illustrate the differences between the two followers.

This is the standard Supernova follower.

snstdfoll_zps2db9cbf2.jpg

This is the Nordic follower.

snnordicfoll_zpse6bedde6.jpg

This is a comparison of the two. The Nordic follower is much longer! The Nordic is the same diameter, 23mm, up to the chamfer, then it drops to 22mm. It's that part of it that makes the difference.

snstdnordicfollcompare_zps8c8a06a5.jpg

I will just amend my original comment. The gun loads sweet with the Nordic follower installed, it's just when it comes to the last shell out of the magazine tube that its a little harder to eject, or pump. Once the last shell has been ejected, the follower seems to stick slightly. If you get your finger in through the receiver, you can push it back into the magazine tube a couple of mm, but as soon as you pump the gun it will 'stick' again. It could just need 'bedding in', as I said before, all this is based on loading and not live fire, so I won't know if it will work properly until then. Still, I am a bit disappointed though.....

HTH

Keith

The Top follower is Not a Nova Follower, the factory Nova follower looks very similar to the Nordic one.

Right, the follower was exchanged to the correct Supernova type. I just sat down and played with it again. Seems my above assumption was incorrect. The shell does get released beyond the release tab, but then the notch right above the tab I marked in my picture gets activated and it locks the shell by friction. So when I move the pump all the way back, I can see the shell was released for about 1/8 of an inch or less but I am not able to manipulate the shell at all at that point. When moving the pump forward, it quickly releases the friction and the lifter slings the shell out the loading port.

Hi Keith, I've done that, mine was .571 and I brought it back to .563 (the guy on Youtube went from .580 to .562), but I do not believe the lifter is (and was) the issue.

When I load a round and rack the fore-end back:

The lifter drops quickly

The tab on the LH carrier latch releases a shell

The tab on the RH carrier latch grabs the shell directly behind the rim and holds it in a death grip

This remains all the way to the back and when moving the fore-end to the front:

The lifter flips up

The RH carrier latch releases (about halfway) and the shell shoots out of the loading port.

Assuming that the tab on the RH carrier latch is there for a reason, it does seem like the timing of engaging that grip is off. I can see where the RH action bar engages the notch on the RH carrier latch and it seems the engagement of that grip could be delayed by filing the contact point on the action bar accordingly. Would that make sense?

Update: I think I got it this time.

When holding a shell in place where it would stop behind the tab on the LH carrier latch, it appeared that the tab on the RH carrier latch was catching at the rim before even being activated by the action bar to the point where it would cause enough delay to grab the shell behind the rim and hold it tight - or something to that extend.

I took a polishing stone to the inside of the RH tab (arrow in picture, it only took a few passes) and now it cycles all shells I have, including cheap Winchester Super Target and Remington Gun Club Target.

post-6746-0-96964200-1461798623_thumb.jp