Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Supernova (not) loading

DEP44

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a batch of followers get out that were too long. They work fine in the Vincis, but in the Nova or SuperNova they can cause feeding or function problems.

If you have one of these followers that are too long, please send it in for a replacement.

The picture on the left shows the good follower on the right. If yours is the same length as the one on the left side of the photo, return it to us for a free replacement.

The photo on the right shows from left to right; the out of spec follower, good follower and the factory follower.

Send to:

Nordic Components Retail

1156 Hwy 7 East

(PO Box 429)

Hutchinson, MN. 55350

post-22019-0-57198500-1398277681_thumb.j

post-22019-0-74673800-1398277718_thumb.j

Just to add to that, I had a PM from 2 guys at Nordic asking me to call them. They are getting one out today, so maybe I'll have it in time for my match on Sunday (I'm just 30 miles east of them). Outstanding customer service!

dep 44, you're measuring the wrong thing, when NC says its too long they are refering to the measurement from the step to the nose not the entire overall length!! the OAL doesn't affect anything but the mag capacity.

Flannigun, in your pics its quite obvious that the follower is sitting way too far back in the magtube, with what you are calling the "stock" follower, the one you picure is NOT a stock Nova/SN follower, it may be a Benelli but not a Nova/SN!!!

As for changing out the follower on a Nova/SN, there really is no good reason except you lost the stock one or its damaged. As for the Arvid grind, I've never seen one affect the feeding of the gun, but then I've never seen the benefit of the mod either, at least in a competition. I've done it, to a couple guns, but never had a use for it after having done it.

Hi Trapr

I agree that it's not the same follower as everyone else seems to have, but it is the one that came with the gun. Maybe it was a Friday afternoon special, and they put the first one in that came to hand! It does however mean that swapping it out is the right move if it's not the correct one.

As always, thanks for the help :)

Keith

Just to add to that, I had a PM from 2 guys at Nordic asking me to call them. They are getting one out today, so maybe I'll have it in time for my match on Sunday (I'm just 30 miles east of them). Outstanding customer service!

DEP44, will you be at the MN3GG Minnetonka G&F Match Sunday? I will be there as well, and so will Ken.

Got the follower in the mail and installed yesterday. Again, great service from the Nordic guys.

I'll bring the old one tomorrow.

As for the issue with the cheap Winchester ammo, it persisted with the few rounds I tried to cycle. Knowing the Remington Sport Loads work, I'm not going to mess with it for now.

Update: Well, what a f**king nightmare. I shot an IPSC L3 Match today had the whole range of issues :angry2: I ran the modified carrier (Arvid Grind), and an RCI follower.

1. I was using some high brass loads but they were not sticking in the barrel after firing, but they were ejecting from the magazine tube straight onto the floor, 'short stroking aside (can't blame the gun for that, that's all me).

2. On one stage it was an Option 2 start (empty chamber, loaded tube). As soon as picked the gun and pumped it, it locked with the bolt about a quarter of an inch from locked. When I tried to pump it again to clear it, I could only move it back about half an inch, and it locked again! In the end I had to abandon the stage and strip the gun to clear it... :angry2:

3. At one point I tried some different ammo, 70mm cases, but they were jamming on the sharp edge of the barrel where the bolt 'locks' into.

I have now re-installed a standard lifter and follower, hopefully this will not re-occur.

And thought pump was a lot more simple than Semi-autos! :rolleyes:

Keith

Keith

Many of the guys I know abandoned the arvid grind years ago, the jam you describe is consistent with the lack of support & guidance for the shell as it chambers that occurs when you remove material from the carrier.

Sounds like your gun has some other issues as well, you need to hang out with the right pumpers to get yourself sorted :)

N

keith, I have had the same locking issues every time I use "foreign" ammo, so every time I bring my nova over for ipsc events. It is very frustrating, I know!!! but it only happens when I use "low quality" ammo, or commonly available ammo. If I purchase good quality ammo, it does not happen??????? i can only think it has to do with the quality control used or lacking in cheaper ammo.

It has happened on guns that have the "arvid grind" and those that do not,...so I don't believe that is the real problem. As for the ammo coming out of the magtube in an untimely manner, double check you action rods and make sure they are in the correct sides, and that they are the correct rods??? sometimes we do stupid stuff accidentally and don't realize it. trust me I've done stuff that I swear Darby must have done when I wasn't looking. For what its worth, I became so frustrated with my #1 RNT Nova SS, after World SG, I stopped shooting it, I shot it a few months back and ran just fine, so thats what makes me think the action locking is ammo related. I was using Lyalvale and it gave me issues, some Fiocchi, and some S&B. but whenever I used gamebore clear pigeon or winchester AA or remington STS or other top quality ammo,........no issues?????? who knows

Keith

Many of the guys I know abandoned the arvid grind years ago, the jam you describe is consistent with the lack of support & guidance for the shell as it chambers that occurs when you remove material from the carrier.

Sounds like your gun has some other issues as well, you need to hang out with the right pumpers to get yourself sorted :)

N

Hi Neil

I can see why no-one bothers with the Arvid Grind, tough way to find out though! As for hanging out with the right pumpers, hopefully I'll see you soon ;) .

Keith

keith, I have had the same locking issues every time I use "foreign" ammo, so every time I bring my nova over for ipsc events. It is very frustrating, I know!!! but it only happens when I use "low quality" ammo, or commonly available ammo. If I purchase good quality ammo, it does not happen??????? i can only think it has to do with the quality control used or lacking in cheaper ammo.

It has happened on guns that have the "arvid grind" and those that do not,...so I don't believe that is the real problem. As for the ammo coming out of the magtube in an untimely manner, double check you action rods and make sure they are in the correct sides, and that they are the correct rods??? sometimes we do stupid stuff accidentally and don't realize it. trust me I've done stuff that I swear Darby must have done when I wasn't looking. For what its worth, I became so frustrated with my #1 RNT Nova SS, after World SG, I stopped shooting it, I shot it a few months back and ran just fine, so thats what makes me think the action locking is ammo related. I was using Lyalvale and it gave me issues, some Fiocchi, and some S&B. but whenever I used gamebore clear pigeon or winchester AA or remington STS or other top quality ammo,........no issues?????? who knows

Trapr

Thanks for the info regarding ammo, Gamebore Clear Pigeon was going to be my next stop. The ammo that was jamming on the extractor lock was Gamebore Velocity, but when you look at the quality of the crimp, it's pretty poor.

Keith

I keep them loose, in the fore end if thats what you're refering to. On the SN, they tend to be a bit snugger in the action than on the nova. which makes the nova easier to get more effortless in the stroke. its also the reason I prefer the nova over the SN, it requires less work to make it easier to use.

typically every SN/Nova (any shotgun really) i've had sent to me for work, is filthy!!!!! the action bars are sliding in grooves packed with carbon,dirt,dust, and other crap. clean them out, keep a good oil in the grooves, synthetic motor oil works great, auto transmission fluid also, the really light stuff that companies seem to market as "gun oil" is crap, its too light. you can also sand, file, polish the bars long edges they are a stamped metal part and have very rough edges.

trapr

Hi DEP44

I think I may have the same problem, and I totally think it is the Nordic follower. I haven't tried live fire yet, but the only change is the follower, and the gun will barely pump with it fitted. Installing the standard follower makes the pump work properly again. I think the Nordic follower is too long and is impeding the mechanism. :(

Keith

Exact same for me.

typed slowly on my cell...

We had a batch of followers get out that were too long. They work fine in the Vincis, but in the Nova or SuperNova they can cause feeding or function problems.

If you have one of these followers that are too long, please send it in for a replacement.

The picture on the left shows the good follower on the right. If yours is the same length as the one on the left side of the photo, return it to us for a free replacement.

The photo on the right shows from left to right; the out of spec follower, good follower and the factory follower.

Send to:

Nordic Components Retail

1156 Hwy 7 East

(PO Box 429)

Hutchinson, MN. 55350

The follower that is too long will only have a negative effect on the gun when the mag tube is completely empty and you are dry firing and dry pumping the gun for practice.

It will not cause any issues when there are rounds in the mag tube.

Send it in if it is too long and we will replace it.

for what its worth!!!

I ran a stock follower for years and years, without any issues or need for an aftermarket one. Nordic (Ken) sent me one of the new followers, maybe two can't remember, i have not had any issues regarding the new follower. Stompbox is correct the follower issues will only take effect when the magtube is empty, otherwise the gun doesn't know it has the wrong follower, just that there are shells in the gun waiting to be shot!!!

My guess is improper timing of the action bars, wrong action bars, bars on the wrong side, or possibly too much material removed from trigger group and it has lost its structural integrity.

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

• 2 months later...