Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

December

benos

This question came in an email. I was going to ask the first part of it myself, I had forgotten the second part...

When (what year) was the last US IPSC Nationals NOT won with a .38 super, or super variant? (Hence, .45) And what shooter finished the highest shooting a super, and of course, who was he? And, just to be sure you're not guessing, who were the top three finishers?

Merry Christmas!

be

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it....1987....J Barnhart with a Nastoff .45, Rick Castlerow also using a .45(9 points back), R.Leatham Wilson Accu-Comp .38(27 points back), Brian Enos also Wilson Accu-comp .38 (0.0838 behind Leatham), Chip McCormick, Tom Cambell, Frank Garcia, Paul Miller(if I'm not mistaken using 9mm loaded to major, prior to rule change), John Flair, Roland Barasits - In order of finish (top ten)

Pat

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 7:01 pm on Dec. 3, 2001)

Pat,

OK smart guy - here's the next part of the question. (And remember, I LOVE making rule changes midstream! Anybody can find an answer to a question regarding order of finish, right guys? So, why did Robbie finish third, instead of winning? Which he surely would've if such and such wouldn't have happened... That's the real question. So you could say this month's question was a trick question and you wouldn't be wrong. OK, and I should make a rule, or did I already, stating that the winner must be a US resident. (So I don't have to fork out the shippping, right?) Or maybe you'd just like a tub of slide-glide, shipped by pony express?

be

I'll field a guess on this one. Robbie finished third because he blew out his knee and hobbled around the rest of the match in a brace.  If not for that, he surely would have won.  No need repeating the order of finish, etc, since it was so eloquently done above by our friend from the North.

Info taken from here:  

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...=6&start=10

(Edited by DBChaffin at 1:08 pm on Dec. 4, 2001)

I believe Rob had a horrendous jam, probably from a primer flowing back or something.  Anyway he had a horrible time on one stage, but still shot his way back up the ladder.

I'm going to the shop to look this up.   But for now, that my story...

Yea, Al's all over it. A few more details would be cool though. So, there are at least four (who know) -  myself, Rob, and Al (getting there), and, Brian Hawley sent me the question some time ago in an email, and knew all the details.

OK, really Pat's the winner (Detlef), the rest is just for fun. (Another change :) Sorry Detlef,

be

Send that book to Shooter Grrl, apparently she 'lost' hers and she did tip me off that I forgot to put in the year of that match. ...lol..oops. Extra info, it was the first year of the 175 PF rule (was 170 before that) and of course the .45 shooters were enjoying the fact that supers were having problems.

Pat

Ps, I usually lend my books out, I think I have passed on three in the last year (I rarely get them back ) But I have kept the signed one BE sent me, its not getting lent out no matter what! I should restock

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 3:32 pm on Dec. 5, 2001)

Al,

Yea, I'm looking for details on why he didn't get at least 5 rds off, on the standard alone. It's the same reason - and an unusual one at that - I had to put my 38 special rounds on the dash of my truck (so the sun would warm 'em up) before I could blast pins at Second Chance, one year. (Probably around then.)

Emotidude - lol - that's funny.

be

be

Hmm, I know (or rather, I read) that he had primer flow back, and the targets were turning targets, so they weren't available when the gun was. This sounds like just the reverse of why you would put bullets on the dashboard though. I'm confused now. Must think on this some more.

• 2 weeks later...

OK,

Since this was raised on the reloading forum... The problem was with WW 473 powder. We'd just began using/testing it with the super. Well, we didn't test it quite thoroughly enough. The temperature at the Nats was quite a bit colder than it was in sunny AZ, where we chronoed - who'd a thunk it would get faster when it got colder? Neither of us, that's for sure. If we'd've only had this cool forum back then. Anyway, The Great One's ammo was just too hot; he kept blowing primers (on more than one stage). A few remember the standards, where he lost 5 shots due to a jam from a blown primer. In addition, he lost time clearing jams on a couple other stages as well. That's racing.

I know you were all over it, Al - I was looking for the 473 thing, that's all.

be

That reminds me of a rumor, Bri.

In '88 or '89 you and Plaxco were shooting 170 gr. bullets; and I think you crono'ed at the Nationals at  177 pf.  I was told you were using 473AA, and you rode right on the line because 473 was so temperature-stable.

Sounds like they were wrong.

BrianH,

Honestly, I can't remember what the deal was. I'd guess that because I chrono'd in AZ, I knew the velocity would only go up because it would have to be cooler where I was going, I didn't try to load as far over as I usually would. Did that make any sense?

be

• 11 months later...

Since my technical and historical brain is tapped out at the moment, and even trivia whiz BrianH hasn't come through, whatdayasay we get (fun and) creative for the last month of the year!

Everyone can play, regardless if you've won this year, and, beginners and experts will be on the same footing with the following question:

Is it the gun that shoots or the shooter that shoots?

Take your time and consider it carefully, then post one answer. At the end of the month, since there is no "right" answer, I'll just pick the one I like the best. ;) Now how much fun (for me) is that!

And just to make it more exciting, since it is the last month, the winner can choose between - my book, Matt B's book, 2 tubs of Slide-Glide, Matt's VHS tapes, or, Matt's DVD! Now that oughta get your insight a churnin.

And last, I'd like express a sincere thank you to all who have helped, in any way, to make and keep this forum such a great place to share and hang out. Thank you all so much.

be